xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
overture

Jewel Portrait - In Progression this is my second portrait...

Hey all, I thought about posting this image when it was all done and i was happy with it however i thought it would be cool to show some progression shots of it. The other reason is if i post the images i may get some feedback and it may urge me to actually finish it and go onto other things.

I have been very busy with college for the past couple of weeks and i haven't been very active.

I have done the initial sketch and started the chin and shoulders. I decided to do this image in Greyscale for not particular reason really i just like images in Greyscale :D.

Anyway, her name is Jewel and i think i saw her image somewhere in a magazine or something. I hope you like what i have done so far.

overture

the image is about 164 Kb.

Posted Image

Good start. Be carefull with your values though. Blocking it in all in one pass like that is tough and for a lot of people who try that, they find themselves with a pretty flat image. I recomend using a base coat to build depth up from. That way you're not forced to make all of your decisions on the fly and you have a good idea of what you want your final image to look like.

Thankyou for all 2 of you replying lol. really thanks. Thank you for your comments lacking_imagination and ndhill.I haven't done the eyes properly as it is just a basic sketch so i didn't add any great detail, but hopefully they will turn out fine :D.ndhill thanks for the comments. I occasionally use a base coat to build up depth like you said, but for some reason i didn't use one this time. I do not find it hard to do it without it though, and i seem to get a non-flat image at the end.I am still practicing as this is only my second portrait so hopefully i will improve if i keep doing more and more.I'll upload another version, probably when it is complete.thanksoverture.