xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
kenjvalip

Bringing Back The Father Of Fps. Lets discuss old school and the past.

What are the first fps games that you have played? The first game that I played was the doom for dos, hehehe and then wolfenstein 3d. On those games the only 3d thing is the environment, the enemies, the weapons and you are only 2d. Wherever you face the enemy, the enemy is still facing you. And so as the ammunition. And you can't look up or down. But in those times I enjoyed playing them. id software developed those games. Then duke nukem 3d was realeased, it was a great DOS FPS and you could be able to look up or down but it returns back to its normal view. Those were the first fps games that I played. It was way back the year 1998 I think or 1997.

I had a demo of duke 3d, called lame duke. it was freeware and you couldnt shoot or hit anything correctly, but it featured so many different levels that were removed from even the Atomic Edition of the final game. it was really cool. Doom 1 was one of the greatest fps ever

System Shock all the way baby :D

Made in 1994, and often thought of as another Doom lookalike, System Shock had a lot of technical innovations that those other games didn't. For example, you could look up and down, crouch, go prone. The game maps had multiple levels (ie. ramps leading to higher places). Plus it has an awesome story line and plot delivery system (in the form of e-mails that were sent from various crew members).

First FPS game I ever played was Shadow Warrior.I'm not sure when it came out, but I remember playing it back in 2000 or so. SW was a great game...very atmospheric (uncommon at the time), it had a large assortment of weapons, enemies, levels, bosses, etc.The game was terrific...I'll have to see if I can find the floppy discs for it and boot it up again.After playing SW I got into Duke Nukem, and then as the years progressed I kept buying more FPS games. Now I'm into Half Life 2, Unreal Tournament 2004, and I even play a bit of Call of Duty.FPS has grown into my favorite genre of PC games :D

the first one i played was probably doom.  the first one i really liked was half life.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I still don't get the hype about the original Half-Life...I played it through and didn't enjoy it at all.

That was after I bought Half Life 2 though...which is probably why I didn't enjoy it nearly as much. Nothing like playing through a game with nice graphics, then going back to 1998-era engines. It wasn't just the graphics though...it felt long and drawn out to me. Fortunately the second was like it =)

I remember watching my cousin play Wolfenstein, when I was about 6 or 7. She was pretty good, if I remember right. The first FPS I every played was Star Wars: Dark Forces (the original one) on a 486. Old graphics, but I loved it. You could look up, down, and you could crouch and jump. Plus, everything was 3D and there were plenty of elevators. It got pretty challenging though. About a year ago, I finally moved up in the world and got Half-Life. I still haven't beaten it, but I don't play it very often. I'm making pretty good progress, and have actually just about finished it. As soon as I beat it, I'm buying Half-Life 2. Also, I currently play the original Doom (and it's subsequent sequels using the same engine), the original Quake, and I play the Quake 3 Arena Demo a lot (since it is about the best the iMacs at my school will run).You gotta love "old school" games...-Kyle

The first i played was Doom. Then I played all of those Mac games that Bungie made, so when I heard Halo was going to be on XBox at first, I got wicked pissed. But then it came on PC, and the XBOX is still good for Halo. I just underestimated how much fun playing consoles is. But still, I prefer PCs more. (Halo 2 pc anyone?) BUNGIE! YOU NEED TO MAKE GAMES FOR LINUX!!! I CANT STAND THIS WINDOWS CRAP ANYMORE! :P

Arghhhh!! I always forget something!Thanks Hybrid for reminding me about Bungie.First FPS I played was Marathon.That game was awesome! I still don't get how could that game be that good, even if it was about 20 mb...

Doom 1 was the first FPS i played and I still love it. It may not have all the bells and whistles that some the modern games do, but it's great if you just want to engage in a bit of mindless Zombie-blasting. Has anyone here played it using one of the modern source ports that add OGL rendering and sometimes even 3D models are added.