xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
silverkirfsco

So What Are The Advantages Of Sp2?

SP2 does not take any more power although i know alot of people who complain that it takes alot of system resources. I personally like SP2 because of the wireless connection program the have built-in, it makes it so much easier than the older one, i never have peoblems connecting to my wireless network anymore.It also included a built-in pop-up blocker which makes surfing a whole lot easier.

I don't think it's worht upgrading because of the o so usefull popupblocker, I use firefox for that.But aren't there any reason to upgrade?If it improves the speed of the computer i'm willing to try it.Next format of pc : within one week

This is what i've heard about Windows SP2:

When you are on Lan (Local area network), you find the other users on the network, but you can't download anything from them.The firewall and popup blocker really sucks, none of them work exactly as you want, and have many bugs.

So out from what i've heard, SP2 is not worth to download.
But if you want to try it, please tell me how it is, cause if it's good, maybe i'll download it too :D

I've had sp2 since i built my current computer. I like the fact that it will alert you if your anti-virus, or firewall has been turned off. I haven't really noticed much more resourse usage than sp1( i had to run my copmputer with sp1 for about 1 month because I couldn't find my sp2 disk afetr a format). It did fix a lot of security holes, but i still use my 2 firewalls just in case. I would recommend sp2 to anyone doing a format, or just building their computer. For those who are chuggin' along great with sp1 and feel safe, dont waste time to get sp2. You can get the sp2 cd shipped free in the U.S. from microsoft.com

Generally the adavantages will be greatly felt by novices and is afraid to do any changes to the settings. The default setting of SP2 will benefit these people the most.However, if you are an advanced use, and if you wanna set your OS the way you desire, then .. SP2 can be a hassle ..It is really irritating nowadays that it seemed that we are paying MS to use WinXP the way Bill wants us to use it .. vs the way we want to use it ..Anyway some of the pros and cons I personally find are ::PROs ::1) Fixes osme of the previous bugs2) More user friendly wireless connection3) MS will cease to support any Windows XP without at least SP1CONs :: 1) The pesky Security Centre that keeps popping up when ever I disable the Firewall. I will consider myself a savvy enough user to know what I am doing. So any form of reminder is considered redundant.2) Blocks out images of HTML emails in Outlook Express .. I've gotta go re-enable .. grrrhhh

Here's the advantages (sarcastic way, most of these problems I have come across).Makes your fast computer slower so that it paces the time to load programs, especially for startup and shutdown, just improves overall slowness, and gives you time to make a coffee. Sometimes removes the annoying feature of automatically switching your computer off, by now allowing you to see a safe to turn off screen which you had missed from the previous versions of Windows. Gives you more clicks for your click happy finger when trying to download files from Internet Explorer and prevents some links you clicked yourself. Still continues to provide you with the latest drivers in tape cassette players and other prehistoric equipment so you can still run your programs off tape cassettes. Your minimum requirements get increased so you know it must be good if it requires more.They never dropped compatibility for bugs, they are still available so you're not missing out.Errors are made even more noticable even if they weren't apparent before, by providing dialog boxes and telling you what the OS wants to do automatically, that also increase the click rate, and has all the jargon for the average computer joe to know how to fix the problem straight away.Blue Screen of Death is still alive and can help you clean up your system and start again.Well, there are the good things, but in a Pros vs Cons, Cons really outweighs the Pros in a large way if you do encounter those problems, but then again, all systems are different and some actually work hand in hand while the others are on the wrong foot. Hopefully in the perfect world of computing, everything is perfect.MC

I have none of the problems described above... I guess it's ideal when you format your pc you install SP2. It has not really new features that you really need, but not updating windows is kinda stupid... :-) @Mastercomputers: you schouldn't use IE in the first place... and if you do, you schould know that the improvements from SP2 were really needed...

i dont really know the differeances in the service pack 2. there an extra feature liike the firewall which is new. i havent install the service pack 2 yet, but got it on cd i order off the microsoft website. its completely free for you to order off, absoloutely zero money. got it delivered in a few days.

Other than the superficial stuff, it modifies the kernal and makes it more stable.

i dont really know the differeances in the service pack 2. there an extra feature liike the firewall which is new. i havent install the service pack 2 yet, but got it on cd i order off the microsoft website. its completely free for you to order off, absoloutely zero money. got it delivered in a few days.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There was already a firewall in WIndows XP. Big changes are:

- security center (where you can see if you have your firewall enabled and things like that, completely useless imho, i have disabled it). The firewall is btw updated too.

- IE updates, if you still use IE, then you really need this sp :D. Like a popupkiller, but also things like "manage addons", and some security fixes (like the dl bar and improvements in activeX)

- A very important RPC improvement! (no anonymous connections anymore...)

And there are many other updates and fixes which may not get many attention, but are as important as the viewable thingies...

I'm using SP2 and I see no problems with it. It didn't slow my computer down like some people have mentioned, and it hasn't really affected the way I use my computer. The only real difference I noticed is the security centre... and the firewall. Every time a new program tried connecting to the internet connection I get a pop up telling me about it, and all I have to do is click the "Unblock" button and I never hear about it again. It's not too intrusive or anything, so I don't see the problem in using it.And it fixes a lot of the security holes, so why wouldn't you want it? :D