xisto Community
Vagodeoz

What Is Your Religion?

What is your religious belief?  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I am what I would call a minimalist anti-gnostic born again christian. I am a born-again christian because I have asked Jesus into my life, putting my salvation into his hands and hoping that he will find a way to help me.I am minimalist because although I have opinions about many things, I realize that I really know practically nothing. Therefore I put no faith in any of my opinions, beliefs, or knowledge. My faith is in God alone. I read, respect and love the bible, but I don't pretend that I really know what it means.I am anti-gnostic because I don't believe there is any knowlege or belief that is any more effective for salvation than good deeds. I think that many christians are gnostic because they think their belief in Jesus saves them, I do not. I know that I am at God's mercy, and have not the understanding needed to hold God to any contract or promise. My assurance is not in my salvation but in the love and goodness of God. I am at peace with the fact that my fate is in His hands and is thus for the greatest good.I find self-righteousness intolerable and without excuse in a christian. I also know that I am probably self-righteous no matter how much I try not to be, so that I myself am without any excuse. Christian are not saved by any merit of theirs so they are no better than anyone else. Their salvation is an act of God and His to give to whomever He chooses. Christians are beggars and not the gatekeepers of salvation. So, although I might understand their reluctance to accept the teachings of other religions, I do not find the condemnation of other religions to be an acceptable christian practice.I also do not agree with the tendency of many christians to be like the Pharisees avoiding sin and impurity by association, condemning things like Dungeons and Dragons or Harry Potter. We do not find God, by making sure we quote the bible in every sentence. We can find God in almost every story and activity, using all of our imagination with an open heart and active mind.

I grew up southern Basptist (Christian) and sufficeth to say nowadays i'm not that religious.. if i had to choose a religion to be, i'd be Buddist. i can't go back to Christianity, though.. pagan i am.

Is this a real reflection of what you can expect to read about in religious threads? Only if every who is registered here is asked that same question. Not every one who is reading these posts is going to come to this page. This to me, is actually a reflection of what religious group out there has the most zeal and want you to know that there religion is the predominant one.

Is this a real reflection of what you can expect to read about in religious threads?  Only if every who is registered here is asked that same question.  Not every one who is reading these posts is going to come to this page.  This to me, is actually a reflection of what religious group out there has the most zeal and want you to know that there religion is the predominant one.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Perhaps, but unlikely. Most of the people who bother with the religion and philosophy forum here will answer, if not in a post at least in the survey. Besides, there isn't much to be gained or said from clicking a button next to a selection.

I'm a mutt. I don't exactly know how it's possible, but I believe in a little bit of every religion. I neither accept nor deny the existence of Christ, so I'm agnostic... I believe in the aesthetics of satanism, the reincarnation and karma aspects of some eastern religions... so I don't really know what I am.

I'm a mutt. I don't exactly know how it's possible, but I believe in a little bit of every religion. I neither accept nor deny the existence of Christ, so I'm agnostic... I believe in the aesthetics of satanism, the reincarnation and karma aspects of some eastern religions... so I don't really know what I am.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Um, confused?

Pretty honest place to be, really.