xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
evion

Training A Ranger In Aa What to do and what not to do

Ancient Anguish, an LPMUD, is quite shallow in giving you a great gaming experience but it has left me with a GREAT impression of MUDs that allowed me to move along with other MUDs. It's a great MUD to start with if you're totally "blur" with text-based games. Sure they don't have a tutorial but its experience that counts the most! =)Now I'll talk about my first character in AA, which is a ranger. Rangers are most proficient in adapting and survivng in the wilderness (Which is why i chose it because i ALWAYS get lost...). They have skills and abilities allowing them to make use of materials in nature to do certain things. Now i will write a guide on my experience of Rangers and how you should start about with it.>>{Rangers 101}>>Alright, when you begin, you have to be a definite half-elf or full elf race. Humans are OK but they do not make good rangers due to their lack of sensibility. The fact that elves have a high wisdom and dexterity allows it to be a better ranger than humans. When you start off, go 2 south. Which is "s, s" from there you type "grab newbie carving" or I think they might have shortened it do "grab newbie". From here on out, whenever you have any problems, you can type "new <message>" and someone in the newbie line will try to help you out. Rangers should increase their dexterity along with their wisdom. Of course strength and the rest of the stats are also important but dext and strength should be your main stats to start increase. I'm not going to tell you how to get to the ranger's guild to become a ranger because i feel that it is best you roam around on your own until you've got the whole town memorized in your head. Instead, I will tell about what rangers can do and what is most important to them.The skills and abilities of rangers are all different but each individual one plays an important part of a ranger's survival. One of the most "valuable" skills which i loved from the start is the "bearings" skill. This skill tells you the approximate location of where you are compared to the main town. It bases on North, North east, East, ... etc to give you a general direction of where you are. There is also a VERY neat set of skills i call the "Devouring of animals". Firstly after you have killed an animal, you "Pluck/skin corpse" it. Next, you "Carve corpse" it. Lastly, you "Gut corpse". These few commands may be simple but is so important to a ranger. Skinning a corpse enables you to have the "pelt" or feathers of a certain animal depending if it's a bird or not. With pelts, you are able to make items such as backpacks, sacks, shields, tents, and so much more. Carving and gutting are 2 extra skills of the set. Carving is getting meat out of the animal and gutting is extracting sinew or any extras that are left over.I cannot explain all at once so I'll come to a conclusion with a ranger's last piece of advice. A ranger's pet and partner, a wolf/dog. Have a pet wolf/dog allows more flexibility and speed. Although it takes tremendous amount of responsibility to keep a pet, (You have to feed it and train it) it is really valuable at times. It will help you attack the enemy and wolves/dogs are fast and have a high accuracy. These wonderfull creatures are a must-have for a perfect ranger. It is fun to watch them grow with you from a puppy or cub to a fully grown monster. Each individual wolf is also very different from other wolves. You may have a galiant-golden wolf while others may have a sweet-silvered one. It's all based on luck! Whatever the case of your ranger, I hope you do your best in this MUD. Might get very frustrated at the start and hard to train too. But later you'll find great friends and fun with just a litte mix of words and sentences!

Yay! I was a ranger too! I got a golden wolf with caramel spots on the ears and emerald green eyes! Actually me and Techocian used to play that game together until I got bored and we switched to playing Achea!By the way, Techocian, do you still have your ancient anguish account?

Yeah i still have that account. With my Grey wolf in it... ='(Quite OK account with nice stats... I just hate to see it go to waste because i think Ancient Anguish is not good enough for me. MUDs make you very "IN" to it even though you are bored. I don't know why but MUDs are a little more exciting than those so called "cool" games... :D

Mine is still on the same level... With my nice gold wolf! Really lucky... Got that on my first try! I got my longsword skills up to lv...60+ i think... or was it 70+? MUDs are only for those with great imagination, thinking and reading skills!