xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
l337 Nurse Pedestrian

What's Smaller, Mp3, Wav, Or Mpg? Whats Smaller, Mp3, Wav, or MPG?

What's Smaller, Mp3, Wav, or MPG?  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

i think mp3 files are smaller but i heard that wma files are smaller and have better quality than mp3s...personally i hate M$ products so i don't use wma and make my audio files with mp3 codecs :D

personally i hate M$ products so i don't use wma and make my audio files with mp3 codecs

WMA's tend to be smaller, less compatable, and less quality iin my experiance.
and untill windows releases a 64bit ema codec, or the linux guys hack an open source wma codec, i cant listen to them on 64bit gentoo without having waste space installing a 32bit chroot envoronment (im having trouble cross compiling)

WMA's tend to be smaller, less compatable, and less quality iin my experiance...

Yes, you are right...in fact for an equal compression for both like 128 Kb/s the quality of WMA format result better then mp3, for having CD quality with mp3 u must set the bitrate around 128 Kb/s, with WMA u can set the bitrate 96Kb/s and u have the same result...after all with WMA format u have with a minor accupation the same quality of mp3... another thing that contribute to popularity of WMA format is that it's free while for MP3 u must pay some money for a part of code licensed by Fraunhofer/Thomson/RCA...but for me mp3 it's better! why? it's not a M4 product :D

wav's are standard windows format sound file. It was included and bundled a long time ago since the release of the windows operating system. The release of mp3 was based on the mpeg and was discovered by fraunhofer. There are two types of mp3, the standard and the mp3pro. Wavs are really big files and mp3 is compressed audio. Encoded in pcm, acm, a/mu-law, dvi adpcm and windows adpcm. There are also vox audio iff, svx, aif, snd, format files, snd. The difference of standard mp3 and mp3pro is when you encode them at low bps the mp3pro can still preserve the quality of the mp3 and be restored when encoding at higher bitrates and hz. Mp3 can be high quality if you encode them at 320kbps, 48000 hz. The higher the quality the bigger the file. I suggest that mp3's are the best music file format you can find in the market today as because many companies are releasing mp3 players and the like...

Wma seems to be about half time smaller than mp3.. And Ogg seems to be a little bit larger than mp3 but with much better quality. And since wma = m$ = evil, and ogg isn't supported by my pocket mp3 player, i have to use mp3