xisto Community
szupie

Secret Behind Your Nick/User Names Where did they come from?

The origin of my nick is actually a long story that some of you might not even understand. Anyway here it goes:I'm a Chinese from Hong Kong, and while my parents were in Taiwan, I was born. They use Chinese there too, but their transcription of my name into English to put on my uh... ID? that card that signifies my identity... I don't think that it's used in the US. Well, they called me Szu Chen Lo, but actually sounds like See Ching Law in my language. 9 years later, on a Friday after a testing week which lets us out of school early, as I discovered the Little Fighter 2 game (this settings info has no meaning towards the subject, they're just facts.), I signed up for a new Yahoo! Mail account, and tried to come up with a unique name. At this point, I should tell you that my classmates call me Law-See-Pie (Last name is called first in my culture, as your family is more important) as a nick name, because it means "Screwdriver" in Cantonese, and very similar, just a change of the last word of my first name, to my real name. So, I used the "szu" part of my name and added "pie" after it, making it szupie, pronounced sue pie. I have kept the name for a long time.How did you come up with YOUR nick/user names?

Edited by microscopic^earthling (see edit history)

*sits down around the campfire* :) (yeah, it may get long LOL)It all started 21 years ago..... LOL ok no it didn't...As long as I can remember, I've had a strong affection for the moon and stars, never much cared for sun unless the sun wasn't there to warm me :). I am a nocturnal being..And then around the age of 15-16 I got internet (yay!!) and I still have no idea HOW I ended up there, but I stumbled across a website about wicca (this does lead to something)... Some of it sounded interested, some didn't (such is life). ANd I researched some more, until I finally came across a decent, non "the Craft - Sabrina - Charmed" witchcraft site. Read the entire thing, and I felt it described how I saw life and it's aspects to a pretty close image. Several years later, much of that has stayed the same, I found out mom shares my views and feelings about the witchiness... When the time came for me to make a username for several things, I opted for MoonWitch (so yes, that is how I normally write it, however most forums only allow lowercase so that's how this name ended lowercase here)

Well, this should be good.

I've been a Beatles (John, Paul, George, and Ringo) fan for a long time; additionally, I love beetles (Volkswagens not insects). My very first website was a list of VW links and a story about my VW. It just seemed natual that I use beetleman as my username. I've been using that name for 10 years. Sometimes I have to use something else in case someone else already took beetleman or maybe it was me and I forgot the password so I need a new account. So usually I use beetleman or beetlman6272, but here in 8 character land, I'm beetlema.

So what's that have to do with vujsa? well when I went to college many years ago, my first roomate was Japanese. I attended a small junior college with a large Japanese student population. As a result I made friends with several, if not all, of them. Over the years, I have lost touch with my friends so I decided to setup a forum for all of us to use to get reaquainted. I went to V.U. and they are Japanese Students Alumni so V.U.J.S.A.

Other free webhosting sites I looked into turned your username into your subdomain or account name /~username. Not fully understanding how this site worked, I chose to use my desired subdomain name instead of my normal username. As a result I'm vujsa here. No big deal I guess but I always type: beetle<-<-<-<-<-<-vujsa

<- = backspace.

I've considered having my username changed but we'll see. :)

vujsa

My name isn't really that interesting.After getting my Bachelor of Computer Systems (BCS), I later went on and got my Masters in Computing (MComp), in which I came up with the name MasterComputers, just to reflect my level of qualification I guess, although after 5 years of study, I stopped, didn't want to continue and get my Docter in Computing (DComp), nor would DocterComputers sound that good in my opinion, although it would be nice to have I guess, I just got sick of studying.So that's how I came up with my name. Don't think it's that original or that interesting, but it works for me.My nick given to me by my band is Scar, I guess linked to the Scar I have on my right arm, which is always visible when I'm playing a guitar, so I guess it suited me. Wasn't use to being called Scar, but it eventually sunk in that now I respond to that name too.Cheers,MC

Yeah, DoctorComputers would sound... strange...

Scar sounds like an evil villain in a video game.

Oh, and Dooga? You spelled "to" wrong...  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Scar is also the evil Lion in Lion King... my nephew has his videos, that's the only reason why I know :)

It was a suitable name for me, for our genre of music (heavy metal) and the dark look we went for. So many rumours came about how I got this Scar/Name, surprisingly, a lot went with my guitar string broke and thus slicing open my arm (although a breaking string can cut, I have never encountered a deep wound from one), which I definitely did not say, or would have thought of saying, others were like it helped me play better on the guitar, so I self-inflicted it, if only this was the secret to being a good player, then more would follow my ways.

MC

Haha... So how DID it get wounded? Do you cut? :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When I was around 7 or 8, I was playing in a warehouse, climbing boxes that were probably stacked 2 stories high, in which I happened to grab a box that was unstable and ended up pulling the box on me and I fell and somehow on my way down, I sliced my arm on something, don't know what it was but the ripping pain and blood everywhere is what I remember most from this.

Then it was the usual doctor stitching me up and commenting to get strength back in my arms I should take up an instrument, and that's when I started to learn how to play the guitar.

So that's the real story behind the scar and given that name by the band.

MC

Mmm... My character name... I have no idea how I came up with it... Actually I thought it sounded wierd... Xyhroex pronounced as Xy-hroe-x until my friend nicked my paper and spelt it as Xy-hro-ex then its sounded alright... So I kept this name, not to mention its original... My other two are... Xephlon and Xevian! These two are not really original as Xephlon derives from a game's "internet" and Xevian is a mishap when I was typing my friend's name Xavan into the preset member... It sounded cool and so I kept it!

You'd never guess how I'd come up with my name.(true stuff here v)For some reason, I have an obsession over the word 'pedestrian', I learn as much as I can about pedestrians. Like how they cross the street according to the street light. Once I was watching this TV show and it said 'pedestrian', and I started freaking out. That was a few years ago. Then, like a day or so after, I started joining forums as 'Megapedestrian' (yeah I know that sounds better).The l337 part, I have no clue why I put that. It should have a '1' instead of a 'l' but I didn't think IPB accepted users beginning with a number. Maybe I put that because it's interesting how some internet people talk "li3k dis, i r0xx0rz mahs b0xx0rs u sux00rz i pwn j00 lolololo!!!!11!!!!!". .... yeah.And then the Nurse part is just kinda tacked on, it could've been 1337 Chair Pedestrian, or 1337 Elephant Pedestrian, and maybe 1337 Onion Pedestrian.

What is the secret behind your nick ? Or in other words - how & why did you come up with the nickname you're using on this board or elsewhere ? The idea for this post struck me yesterday when Nils asked me why did I choose this nick.

This isn't something NEW that I've learnt - but it'll be kind of a revelation for all of us - and the way we all think - so I'm posting it here. You should followup this post with your nick and a short explanation as to how you came across it.

Here's a starter:

My nick - microscopic^earthling: I listen to a lot of very hard electronica/psychedelic trance music, and one such psych. band is named Earthling. They came up with an album containing a track titled Microscopic. On the backside of the CD cover it was listed as:

Microscopic - Earthling

....... as soon as I saw it I knew THIS had to be my nick. I've been using it for ages now. Another point that struck me about this nick was the sense of propriety & humility associated with it. I consider myself no more than microscopic when counted against the world population or as a matter of fact the limitations of my knowledge when pitched against the infinite amount of knowledge that no one can ever acquire even during the course of 1000 lifetimes... so there...

So..... what's the secret behind yours ?

Have fun :D

------------------------

I feel rather stupid now, coz szupie had started a similar thread sometime back and I completely forgot about it and started another concurrent thread. Lets see if I can get hold of him and merge these two.

Edited by microscopic^earthling (see edit history)

Hmm. Chiiyo is my "japanese" name, the name that I came up with that I call myself by (NOT a translation of my name, which is basically riri or something like that). The kanji, or the characters that make up my name, basically mean "small" and "world". There's no big principle or idea I'm trying to expound with the characters here, but often I realise that names play an important part in moulding someone, even if it was a name that I chose for myself, and the words mean humility and shyness to me, thus often that is what happens to my personality when I post on message boards.I'm not japanese by the way, just someone rather interested in the culture...