xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Linneus

Wirless Problem

I have one computer connected with wire to a wireless router and a notebook with a wireless pc-card. The router and card is 54 mbit/s. Even if i place the notebook next to the router I can only transfer files at a speed of 3 mbit/s. Windows says that connection speed is 54 and signal strenght is very high. What is wrong?

Well, while your notebook may be in close proximity to the router and the signal strength is high, there my be interference from your other electronic components or other wirless networks in your neighborhood.Moving your router or laptop may help. Switching the channel used by your network may help. Checking to make sure your network card is set to full duplex mode will always help.Try your manufacturer's website for tips on setting up your home network.Happy networking, :) vujsa

Well, while your notebook may be in close proximity to the router and the signal strength is high, there my be interference from your other electronic components or other wirless networks in your neighborhood.

Moving your router or laptop may help.  Switching the channel used by your network may help.  Checking to make sure your network card is set to full duplex mode will always help.

Try your manufacturer's website for tips on setting up your home network.

Happy networking, :)

vujsa

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When i try to start the software that came with the pc-card it doesn't start. Nothing happens. The router and pc-card is by D-link. The only wireless thing I can think of is our phones. The base stands less that 1 meter from the router. Can that be it?

I'm using encryption on the network.

When i try to start the software that came with the pc-card it doesn't start. Nothing happens. The router and pc-card is by D-link.  The only wireless thing I can think of is our phones. The base stands less that 1 meter from the router. Can that be it?

I'm using encryption on the network.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Umm if the phone is in the 2.4 GHz range it can interfere. Windows should fall back though. So unless you have the drivers your computer can'r communicate well with the card. Either that or the card needs RMA.

I have one computer connected with wire to a wireless router and a notebook with a wireless pc-card. The router and card is 54 mbit/s. Even if i place the notebook next to the router I can only transfer files at a speed of 3 mbit/s. Windows says that connection speed is 54 and signal strenght is very high. What is wrong?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

THEORY: The maximum theoretical file transfer rate for a 54 Mbps system is actually 27 Mbps (Considering 10 bits per byte in transferring files).

What kind of wireless card and router/access-point are you using?

Check

http://gpsinformation.net/articles/80211ap.htm

for more info.

Regards,

MegaByteNL

Maybe you should try a repeater... that might amplifies the signal to get you a better signal into your wireless device... They also have devices that are specially made for amplifying yoru signal... check that out, maybe that could help...