xisto Community
vujsa

What Is Wysiwyg? Do you know?

Which of the following is the correct definition of wysiwyg?  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hey don't cheat! - the poll is anonymous

See below for the correct answer.

wysiwyg is a common phrase used by computer buffs but many people never got the relevence. I thought that this might help clear things up.

WYSIWYG or wysiwyg is an acronymn for What You See Is What You Get

Commonly refering to a Graphic User Interface type web design program such as Frontpage, Netscape Composer, etc...

Other wysiwyg programs would include MS Publisher, Print Master, etc...

Happy designing, :)

vujsa

Haha... Just learnt this from my I.T teacher a few days ago... Got a scolding for making fun of the word... By the way... Did you create this poll for fun, or to understand how much we know?

I don't like wysiwyg programs, i rather use VIM or notepad or something similar. WYSIWYG usually give crappy code full of useless tags and stuff.I prefer clean code over less work.

I learnt about WYSIWYG a few years back while I was working with a company called eDocuMAN where I was incharge of marketing the ZyLab suite of document management systems.. The software would require a server and a scanner/ or multiple scanners across different locations. When documents are scanned they are automatically or manually dropped into preset catagories, then the S/W runs a very advanced optical character recognision (OCR) engine that locates and extracts all the data on the scanned images. This it dumps into xml tagged text files. The application also maps each document to locate each word and letter. All this happens concurrently over various networks on either a single server or multiple servers. Then through a GUI , anyone either on the local system or even the internet/intranet (since the app. serves documents), can search for terms, phrases or single words and the program will locate documents with matching words and serve these up in the WYSIWYG format. So you end up seeing the original document with the relevant search words highlighted. I mainly visited various government bodies that generated large amounts of paperwork to see if we could work with them. Its also where I learnt that it isn't only with design that WYSIWYG comes in handy but with nearly any visual material handling apps. Since the eDocuMAN position, I've been interested in WYSIWYG software where design is backed up by coding within a GUI.

Hey, speaking of WYSIWYG, does anyone here use Macromedia Dreamweaver MX to make websites? I recently got it, and like it a lot. It's user friendly, but also allows code geeks like myself :) to get in there and mess with the code. I haven't used FrontPage, or really anything else to compare Dreamweaver to, but so far I really like the program, andd will probably use it for years to come.Does anybody know if anything out there is better than Dreamweaver?-Kyle

Notepad forever! honestly, i have no formal training in HTML code format or anything. My code looks funny as in its order, but it makes perfect sense to me. It is impossible for me to read anything made by a generator, dreamweaver or the like.

Well again I too am a text editor fan. Staring at sorce code through notepad (more recently through UltraEdit) is how I learned HTML and how I continue to code HTML. I have tried Frontpage and frankly each and every time I found myself using its source view and entering ym code manually just so I could have more control and precision in my designs. Even afterward I find ymself streamlining and cleaning up the code afterwords >_<;; I have tried dreamweaver aswell and frankly I dispised it. Sure you can do a lot with it but it was a pain to enter my own code into its interface.Of all the editors I have seen only the lesser known Adobe goLive can I use with satisfaction. I like the code it puts out because its nice and clean with minimal excess and it is very flexable. Simply the way it is set up makes it ideal for setting up at least the table parts on my latest project (though I still spend a good time enterign source myself). Though I prefer text editors this Adobe Golive has helped me manage a complex series fot ables and iframes on my latest project that would have taken me much longer to develop by hand.

Another notepad fan, although after I switched over to Mac I've been using Mac-alternatives for Notepad. I love those programs where you can have tabbed windows like in Firefox and Safari...Problem is, I never like to indent my code. Most of the time I just type away and everything ends up being in one big clump. Some of the WPRs have commented that my coding looks disgusting...Any opinions on that? I like my code in one big clump so I don't have to scroll too far down to get to where I want, and I can understand my own coding, so no problems there... But I do use nested tables all the time, and I worry that it might be against some kind of W3C code to not indent code?So? To indent or not indent?(Just so that I'm not totally off-topic altogether)I never really liked WYSIWYG programs, although the last time I used one was Dreamweaver 2. They had a lot of strange code that really wasn't necessary, and I worried that the coding done by WYSIWYG programs might not be compatible with all systems. I don't use pictures in my design so it's pretty imperative that my tables look roughly the same in all systems. So question, do WYSIWYG programs nowadays churn out (let's not talk about bloat) code that can be consistently displayed across all systems?

One thing that people don't seem to know that the term WYSIWYG is not just used in graphical design programs or at computer world at all. Actually where I can in touch with this abbreviation was miniature wargaming. You call your troops WYSIWYG is they have the equipment they seem to have.I've also ran into it on other circles.

wysiwyg is becoming quite popular among almost all webhosts...

They seem to offer programs that will help you easily manage your website without any prior html expirience...This is also usefull for webhosts who incorparate adds...Because it makes puttings the adds into the website a hell of a lot easier.

the best wysiwyg program would have to be dreamwaver...It allows you to work with coding and wysiwys all at the same time while underlining the code....

A real good tool for the rich coder or smart cracker... :D

All in all wysiwyg is a good revalation in website design and is VERY usefull for the beginners...

I remember my first website was made by wysiwyg....I then completly messed it up though...

I thinkt he link was http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

It's really bad though...oh well enjoy :D ^^^

yay for Macromedia...Who the heck uses the word scolded?

Dreamweaver MX is MUCH better at generating cross browser compatible code. It yanks out the crap for you automatically if you want, lol! As far as WYSIWYG, I tend to use that a LOT in my line of work as a large-format digital printing tech. Customers will come in with a fax of a photocopy of a drawing they did on a napkin at McDonald's on their lunch hour and expect me to scale it to the size of a house. Not gonna happen, I'm afraid. They balk at paying for me to turn their crappy sketch into a vector graphic, so I have to pull out the whole WYSIWYG routine so they understand it.Occupational hazard, I guess. They like to give me tiny little gif's or jpegs off their company website too... "here, make me a 16 foot banner with this... and do it for $75" Egad.Cheers,Phoenix :)