xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Herbert1405241469

My First Portrait ...so be gentle with it :-P

Posted Image

Done in Photoshop using nothing but paintbrush and smudge. The only thing I cheated on were the lips, because when I drew them, it kept making her look like a hillbilly. So I just copied them from the source pic, but everything else is drawn by my hand :)

woah that is very nice, you have an awsum ability for drawing, i really like it..... the only thing that would make it the best would be see on the ear how it doesn't really blend well into the face, maybe just darken it a bit. I couldn't do any better, then what you've done. Good Job! My personal favourite on this piece is her eyes i love them :)

This is good Herbert! Again the only problem i see is the ear; it isn't the correct shade in relation to the rest of her face. Also try and make the outline of her face a bit more defined (but not to dark) so it isn't has blurry as it is.Well done!

Very cool. I think the neck/collar region was particularly well rendered. Looking at it as a whole, I think the only thing that seems off is the tone of the face. It seems a little too dark especially in contrast with the brighter highlights on her shoulder area.

The whole thing was done by hand with a paintbrush tool and smudge tool. The only part I did copy from a photographic source was the mouth, because whenever I drew it, it looked like she was a hillbilly with big buck teeth :)

I'm currently working on a second portrait of a girl I knew in high school. So far that one totally blows this one out of the water. This one is going to be in in full color. I did a beach scene for a background and I must say, I'm impressed with myself :)

Right now, I'm debating on whether or not to keep her original clothes (from the pic she sent me as a reference) or to give her something else to more fit a beach scene...

(or not give her clothes at all! muhuhahahhaa Posted Image)

I'll post it when I'm done under the title "My Second Portrait." :(

Well the smudge tool is a powerful weapon if used correctly and you’re using it pretty good yourself. It’s a great portrait and it’s impressive given that it’s your first. As for constructive criticism, you might try to add some highlights on her hair, for a start. That will seem more natural and even if the original photo didn’t have any, this is art, meaning that the image should be more vivid than in photography. The shading is very good over all. However, when it comes to the face’s outline, it’s not very well defined and quite blurry itself. You might want to keep that in mind in the future! Maybe use the smudge tool a little less when it comes to the edge of any object or the human face.

The face looks very good for your first attempt. The right eye looks a little low, and the head looks a bit pointy and flat, though. I think if you went back over thism touched it up a bit, and added a background, it would be absolutely superb. :lol: