xisto Community
tattoopunk

Linux P2p What to use

I'm looking for a good P2P service for Linux as well as a good torrent downloader. Any suguestions? I used to use shareaza for windows and loved it. Anything simular?http://forums.xisto.com/

Well for torrent programs...They just came out with exeem... http://exeem.com/ :( it's liek the newest revelation in torrent programs...It eliminates the need for trackers and everybody uis a tracker...It's like a p2p/torrent program....It's really something if I say so myself :)

Or you could try bitcomet...http://www.bitcomet.com/ or somethign like that...they both do wonders for me.

But I'm not sure if they work for linux. But then again you could use a linux emulate program like wine or something :) so it should be fine right?

Good luck

Shareaza Will run in Linux useing the Wine wrapper (https://www.winehq.org/)also.. have a look at giFT, its a very powerfull p2p daemon that can use th gnutella protocal, the fastTrack/Kazaa Protocol, and the OpenFT protocol to search and download all at the same time...its purely a daemin, so u will need to use it via a frontend like Apollon.Also, checkout LimeWire.

Exeem in my humble opinion is the single worst file sharing program around at the moment.I'd go for Bittorrent clents, eDonkey network, Limewire, and there is no reason why you can't use Shareaza for all your needs put into one program.

Just use shadow's bittorrent client. It's in the portage tree if you use gentoo, otherwise there's probably a package for your distro out there somewhere.

for linux i know dcgui, i think it's a great p2p program, u must share for downloading something but it's the p2p philosophyi haven't tried bittorrent client for linux but with bittorrent in win i had only slow connection :D

for bit-torrent I was always using Azureus - it's java bit-torrent client keepd on sourceforge, it was even a project of month septemcer in 2004! Maybe there are better ones, but I liked this one and I won't change it... I don't use other p2p nekworks, but I know you can look around for something called MLDonkey, their site says: "MLdonkey is a multi-platform multi-networks peer-to-peer client... Currently, with eDonkey , it supports several large networks, such as Overnet , Bittorrent , Gnutella (Bearshare, Limewire,etc), Gnutella2 (Shareaza), Fasttrack (Kazaa, Imesh, Grobster), Soulseek (beta), Direct-Connect (alpha), and Opennap (alpha). Networks can be enabled/disabled, searches are performed in parallel on all enabled networks, but each file is only downloaded from one network (wait for next release !), but from multiple clients concurrently." it is nice choice if you use a lot of networks and have all-in-one solution... oh and I forgot - I'm also using muSeek for SoulSeek network.

Azureus is written in Java so I suppose it works under Linux. I'm currently running this under Windows and I find it to be a really great piece of software! The only feature I miss is the ability to shut down the computer when all transfers are finished...