xisto Community
soleimanian

Speed Up Your Connection In Windows XP

Im kinda reluctant to try this... i mean sure it would be great to speed up my connection but i dont know all of the technical stuff that this is messing with and i really dont need to screw up my computer.. i just had to format my hard drive and reinstall everything cuz windows xp pro freaked out and stopped workin on me... i still have some things that are wierd with it and i really dont want to make it worse....so if the consensus is this works withought messing something up then i will give it a shot... but i wanna know if its worth it :D

so if the consensus is this works withought messing something up then i will give it a shot... but i wanna know if its worth it.

read the posts in this topic.
Like myself and others have said, its not worth it.

Microsoft have setup your machine to work best alround, good throughput, and good latency.

if you remove reserve bandwidth, then throughput will increace at the cost of latency.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Alright there, quijibow. That kinda scares me a bit. I am a gameplayer - Counter Strike, Star Wars Galaxies, Unreal Tournament 2004, Battlefield 2. So, if I remove my reserving bandwidth, are you saying that my games will lag more (network latency)??

Let's say my reserve bandwidth is at 20% and my CS game runs at 40 ping.

If I put it to 0%, about where will my CS game ping go?

Also, I don't run any downloads/webpages while I'm playing (unless I'm looking for quest help, etc). So, it won't hurt my game latency if I don't run any other internet programs, right?

Heh there - I confused myself now. :D

Im kinda reluctant to try this... i mean sure it would be great to speed up my connection but i dont know all of the technical stuff that this is messing with and i really dont need to screw up my computer.. i just had to format my hard drive and reinstall everything cuz windows xp pro freaked out and stopped workin on me... i still have some things that are wierd with it and i really dont want to make it worse....

so if the consensus is this works withought messing something up then i will give it a shot... but i wanna know if its worth it

No, this will not hurt your computer at all. It will just improve your Internet performance because of the changed bandwidth settings. You are not deleting registry keys, nothing like that. Just changing some numbers. If you don't like it, you can always go back and change.

I've tried this a long time ago. But it hasn't really helped much. I mean, I don't find any noticable difference in the browsing speed. There is another way for speeding up browsing using firefox, but I don't remember where I read it. It's something about changing your about:config options.... something about simultaneous network connections.

Soleimanian didn't really explain this manual very well. First of all, this manual is mainly for broadband connections. It won't work very well with dial-up or cable as much.

===TO EVERYONE===

1. You must have Windows XP Professional for this to work

2. This is for broadband users

3. Risk-free and it will NOT mess up your computer

Under some conditions. a reduction in reserve bandwidth mat cause an increace in latancy ( aka PING / LAG )But its unlikely that your online games will use all available bandwidth, and in this case, latency may not suffer, (but you will have gained nothing from reducing reserved bandwidth)I know this is confusing..but whay im basically saying, in my opinion, removing the reserved bandwidth may cause a slight increace in bandwidth, but when under high load, will cause an increace in lag/ping/latency.Ofcourse the end effect depends on many unknowns, like your ISP, how far away the server is, etc etc etc.Why would Microsoft (who are under stong competition againsed Linux especially in the server market) delibratly reserve a little bandwidth for no reason ?By all means experiment with this setting, try increacing a little / decreacing a little, and watcho how it effects download times, and game ping.its always possable to tweak defaults to better match your unique situation, but i think 0% is a little drastic.

Just a side note, gpedit.msc is not available in windows xp homeSecond noteA lag is different from a pingping is the total time it takes for a certain packet of information to send to a server and the server sending a reply. This is also called latency.A lag is something way different, lags occur when the server cannot keep up with the amount of data it has to process and slows down terribly, like trying to run a 3d game on a very bad computer (not enough resources).Of course, lags have kind of the same result as pings as that the time it takes to send and receive increases, but this is the fault of the server and not of your connection.just wanted to make it clear :D

I know, im just putting it into terms everyone can understand.The average kid playing games will look at you funny if you talk about latency.

I tried it but unfortunatally I didn't really notice any real chang in speed. B)Doesn't matter though... I'll give it a bit longer to see if I notice a difference or not.Otherwise i'll just change it back.

jorbanks -> Heh. And I didn't notice any real change in speed. I think it work when you use 2 applications. For exemple if you download some file with download manager on maximum speed and wants browse internet with you IE. You IE will use 20% bandwidth and download manager 80%.

Speed up your connection in Windows XP blink.gifBy default, the packet scheduler limits the system to 20% of the bandwidth of a connection, to increase bandwidth:

WOW! This is a great modification to your Windows XP computer. Thanks so much for this soleimanian, I've been looking for a technique like this for quite some time now. For me programs such as Morpheus and Limewire have been taking up a fair bit of my bandwidth but when I inputted this modification into my Windows XP computer, I suddenly found my downloads and connections speeding up and much faster. I was wondering also, do you know or have any more tips like this because I feel that I still need more bandwidth!

If this modification speeds up connections within Windows XP, then I think and hope that connections and bandwidth will be much faster than this in the new upcoming Windows Vista. The Windows Vista has high expectations but if modifications like this for the Windows XP computers are much better than the Windows Vista, then many people will just keep on buying the XP instead of the Vista and just use more of these modifications.

Thanks again for this soleimanian. Very useful! :lol:

"gpedit.msc" didnt exist in my home edition xp.

but a couple of days back i installed this great piece of software tcp optimizer and i just chose the 'optimal settings' option in it...and i tell you the difference was telling! my internet download and browsing speed improved considerably.

it basically increases the number of tcp/ip connections that can be established with a server we are communicating with. as you may know, microsoft in its service pack 2 for xp , though as great it was a service pack, decided to reduce and limit the number of tcp/ip connections to increase stability.

by using this tweak you can be sure you squeeze out every inch of your bandwidth for maximum speed. downloaddownload it now if you dont have it yet!

cheers!

shiv