xisto Community
soleimanian

Speed Up Your Connection In Windows XP

Speed up your connection in Windows XP :) By default, the packet scheduler limits the system to 20% of the bandwidth of a connection, to increase bandwidth :1-Open Run dialog box from Start menu.2- Type “gpedit.msc” and press Ok.3- When Group Policy run, go to Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Network > Qos Packet Schedule4- in right side, right click on Limit reseivable bandwidth and select Properties.5- In Setting tab under Limit reservable bandwidth section select Enabeled .6- instead of 20 type 0 (zero) and then click ok, and close Group Policy.7- Now , go to Network connection and right click on your connection and select Properties.8- Go to Networking tab and cheek Qos Packet Scheduler to be ticked.9- Restart your PC :) Be Success !Soleimanian :(

I tried that in Windows XP, but it said that gpedit.msc couldn't be found. Does it really work for you? Do you notice any significant difference in speed? That sounds so easy, yet so useful. Anyone else tried it?

By default, the packet scheduler limits the system to 20% of the bandwidth of a connection,

The reason your bandwidth is often limited to slight below actual bandwidth is becase of buffers.

There are buffers everywhere, There is an output and input buffer on your computer, anouther set on your ISP, anouther set on the server you are doanloading from, and maybe several other along the way.

if your connection is running flat out maximum, then these buffers tend to fill, and you get what is called Latency ! (the time it takes a packet o get from A to :)

Limiting your bandwdth only sligtly reduces bandwidth, but keeping buffers empty means you get a lightning fast latency.

for example, online gaming quality (lag / ping) has nothing to do with bandwidth, only latency. its true that higer bandwidths tend to have lower latency, but if you mess with your Qos, you may get increaced bandwidth, but very likely at the expence of latency !

Tweaking Qos to increace performance requires a good knolege of the network you are in, and a general rule like this may work for some machines, but not all.

!@!@!@!@!@!!!!AGH! I just read up on the net n it says that gpedit.msc isn't in windows xp home edition! :) so as a alternative they say we have to edit the freaking registry by typing regedit or w.e which is complete bs!Oh well though....I can live with my con as it is I guess :)

" Qos Packet Scheduler" has to be selected or not?????

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

if you dont select it, packets will be sent in a FIFO style (first in, first out)

Ok, i've done it. It really works..!!!!!!it's great for downloading, but programs like kazaa or e-mules consume all my BW, so i think a 5% reserve is a better idea, let something free for browsing...

But how much of a hit did your latency take ?

without this modification, start several downloads (pushing your bandwidth to the limit) and whilst it is in progress ping a website... (maybe this website).now make the surgested modification and re run the above (re-download same files).and compare the ping times.Operating systems reserve bandwidth for a reason !

Is this procedure safe? I'm afraid of screwing up my newly-installed Windows XP. Is it possible to just increase bandwidth on my Internet connection side and not my OS?

Operating systems reserve bandwidth for a reason !

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hello there, moderator? Can you please explain why limiting bandwidth is a good idea? I am not that of a computer whiz so it would be appreciated if you could explain it in an easier way.

And I do not know how to ping a website...

I've tried this a long time ago. But it hasn't really helped much. I mean, I don't find any noticable difference in the browsing speed. There is another way for speeding up browsing using firefox, but I don't remember where I read it. It's something about changing your about:config options.... something about simultaneous network connections.

AGH! I just read up on the net n it says that gpedit.msc isn't in windows xp home edition! sad.gif so as a alternative they say we have to edit the freaking registry by typing regedit or w.e which is complete bs!

Yeah, gpedit.msc is only available in XP Home OS. I don't know why soleimanian never mentions the specific XP OS that his tips can be used on. I have ran into a few where it's only for Windows XP Pro and not Home.

Hello there, moderator? Can you please explain why limiting bandwidth is a good idea? I am not that of a computer whiz so it would be appreciated if you could explain it in an easier way.

And I do not know how to ping a website...

I'm not 100% sure on this but qwijibow seems to have answered your question earlier already. See Post #3 for more info. I think what that means is that if you max out your bandwidth, you won't be able to surf online. You will be downloading/uploading too much, which will tie up the bandwidth. I think some ISPs might cut off your internet connection or give you a call once you do this - think it's called capping.

Pinging a website is nothing more than calling out to it and getting a response back. If there's no response, it means that your signal never reached there or got lost on it's way back. To ping a website (say Xisto), just go to Start->Run and type in cmd to open up the command prompt. Now type in ping http://forums.xisto.com/ and hit Enter key. That should return 4 lines back. Either it will tell you the time it took to get there and come back, or it will tell you that the packet was lost somewhere along the way.

I've tried this a long time ago. But it hasn't really helped much. I mean, I don't find any noticable difference in the browsing speed. There is another way for speeding up browsing using firefox, but I don't remember where I read it. It's something about changing your about:config options.... something about simultaneous network connections.

I think I know what you are talking about. Take a look at this short read:

Here's something for broadband people that will really speed FireFox up:

1.Type about:config into the address bar and hit return. Scroll down and look for the following entries:

network.http.pipelining

network.http.proxy.pipelining

network.http.pipelining.maxrequests

Normally the browser will make one request to a web page at a time. When you enable pipelining it will make several at once, which really speeds up page loading.

2. Alter the entries as follows:

Set "network.http.pipelining" to "true"

Set "network.http.proxy.pipelining" to "true"

Set "network.http.pipelining.maxrequests" to some number like 30. This means it will make 30 requests at once.

3. Lastly right-click anywhere and select New-> Integer. Name it "nglayout.initialpaint.delay" and set its value to "0". This value is the amount of time the browser waits before it acts on information it recieves.

If you're using a broadband connection you'll load pages MUCH faster now!

You have to close your browser after you make the changes. When you start it back up they will be in effect.

Taken from Afterdawn site. Here is another site/blog which has some similar information on this.

You probably don't have to go through all of that mess though. I actually just found some program called Firetune (for those using Firefox) that should do this for you instantly.

There are 2 measrurements of network quality, Bandwidth and Latency.Bandwidth = Amount of Data per second to be delivered.Latency = the amount of time it takes a piece of data to reach its destination.Examples.... I carry a hard drive with 200GB or data to my friends house, it takes 100 seconds to carry it there by hand.Bandwidth = 20 Gigabytes per second !!! (Very very very fast compared to internet)Latency = 2 minutes.. (Very very very bad compared to internet) (i walk alot slower than exectricity)Latency and bandwidth are not the same thing you see.If your computer is communicating with the internet slightly slower than its maximum.then the data moves quickly.If you are at bare maximum.. then there can be bursts where data cant be recieved fast enough, and needs to wait in a que at your internet service provider.So for example, you might be able to download web pages slightly faster...but when playing online games, your latency / ping / LAGG can seriously suffer.Microsoft have setup your machine to work best alround, good throughput, and good latency.if you remove reserve bandwidth, then throughput will increace at the cost of latency.