xisto Community
vujsa

How Did You Learn Html

How did you first learn to create web pages?  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I learned HTML about 10 years ago by printing the both the source and page of Indiana University's index.html. I went line by line until I learned how to write everything on the IU homepage.I remember I had the most trouble with ordred and unordered lists. I'd always use <OL> instead of <UL> and vise versa.My first web page was a VW story that wrote. To create the page I had to use a shell editor called emacs. The editor was quite old and required the use of shortcut keys for arrow up, down, left, right; backspace; and delete; oh of course save was alt_S.At the time I didn't know how to ftp or create graphics so I didn't have anything but text.I remeber being excited when tables were supported.I guess I'm old ...school. :) Tell me your HTML history.vujsa

i first learned html, when i needed it really (now i know why i really needed to learn it) i was designing a webpage and i was having trouble with some of the tables, so i looked at other people page source and looked at how they did it i also looked at W3C for help. I still haven't really learned html but i'm on my way everytime i have a problem (and i usually do) i learn a lot more. So yes i'm a bit lazy and should fully learn html instead of looking it up when i need it. But o'well i suppose thats just how i wanted to learn it, and not go into great detail to master it. I also have school so that limits my time to search into html. Well thats my Html life story :)

I guess you could say that I'm also basically self-taught. I did some on-line tutorials, enrolled in a couple of AOL's online classes and bought a couple of beginner HTML books. Now the letters H, T, M, L are not nearly as intimidating as they used to be, lol. I've also showed my 12-year-old son some HTML and now he's able to make his own basic webpages.

i learned html about 2 years ago. taught myself through all the basics on a online blogger, trying out new things more and more. till i got so advanced my page looked reallly good and professional.

i also taught myself while i was making a website, at the same time i taught myself in adobe photoshop and macromedia flash 5. all combined together for the website. the website is still online but mostly falling apart now...

you can still try it. i think...

http://go.to/leng_jai

I learned it reading the source of pages on internet and then during the writing of my first page i used Front-page and so i discoveried DHTML an JS, in internet you can find many guides but nothing is better than Auto-learning :)

the first ever hosting account i signed up for was an angelfire account and i used their EZ Builder tool to create a website, but wanted my own image to be up instead of their cheesy angelfire logo. it required me to enter some HTML for that and i didn't know anything about it so i started reading up all i could about it - tutorials on other websites, by example and through the use of WYSIWYGs.

I learned HTML in summer school a couple years ago. I was really interested in web design and decided to take a course. Being myself, I went and bought Frontpage after that. I haven't touched HTML since. I know what most of you would say, "Frontpage is for n00bs!" and "Only experianced programers use HTML and Notepad." Well, heres what I have to say, Frontpage is easier, better, more consumer friendly, and if you really desire the HTML code, you still have a tab to work with HTML. I still use a little HTML for sites like MySpace and designing OTHER PEOPLES online blogs and what not...

Beside the common HTML, there is also DHTML (Dynamic Hyper Text Markup Language). It is a combination of Javascript and HTML. You can add animation to static text and images without needing to upload to your server. In another words, it can work alone on your own javascript enable browser. Some javascript on work on certain browser and on certain version only. Generally, if you can it working on your browser, it fine work for you.

Well, I voted for the "had a class" and wanted to tick "by example", because both apply. Yes, I have learned HTML and CSS in school (I did drop out before PHP got into it :()Now, how weird it may sound, the first class HTML I ever had, was not even on computer. The teacher asked us to take pen and paper.... We had to draw an outline of something that we perceived as being a good lay-out. Then we had to come up with a general topic for a site, which would become our project. We then did a few basic classes on HTML, with computer this time :) We went through some tutorials, which had been set up by our teacher. After which we were allowed to use the net to research/look up tags. But again we went back to writing the HTML down on paper. Even though that may seem dumb, it did teach us to visualize the code as we went along :(After that, we only used paper to draw a lay-out or to write down a scheme (navigation wise). Now, I learn things on my own, usually by looking at the code of sites, and then trying to do it myself. I also switched to Dreamweaver for more complex things, however NotePad ++ (syntax highlighting I do like) is the normal HTML editor I use.It still happens that I don't know off the cuff how to do certain things (heh, you can't know everything out there), so I look it up :) Learning never stops!

When I was like... eight or nine, my brother showed me how to do basic things... images, links, colors, etc.Then, when I was like 11, I started to learn Javascript and DHTML and all that.