xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
tillus

I Support Linux! the anti-microsoft-topic

here is the ultimative not-supporting-microsoft topic!!!

I NEVER liked those little redmond concern, but since I heard, that they blackmailed some people of the european parliament to allow the new patent laws also in the EU (I life in Germany), I canoot sleep well anymore (the law would illegalize any open source products, every programmer would have to pay for hundreds of licences, see http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/)!

so here's an opposite to that I support Microsoft-topic, please write your opinions and news here!!!

Yeah, Microsoft sucks. I'm stuck with XP on my PC, but I'm considering getting SuSE. I wouldn't know what Linux is actually like because I've never used it, but I'd have to say Mac OS X is the best OS on the face fo the planet. :)

"Aggressive entry into the established anti-virus market, especially to the extent Microsoft bundles its solution into the operating system, is almost certain to draw regulatory scrutiny, especially in the EU (European Union)," Sanford C. Bernstein & Co. analyst Charles Di Bona said in a recent note to clients.

That will be one reason and you can find 1,640,000 more if you Google "Why I Hate Microsoft."If you ask me, I will stick to freeware antivirus since Microsoft has indicated it will charge users for its anti-virus software, but hasn't made clear whether users would pay a regular fee or pay once upfront.

Microsoft are stabbing in the dark at anything and everything they can. To me, they are stabbing themselves. Software Patents so they can gain royalties from absurb things that they never thought of first.Donating to universities, trying to gain more and more followers because of their generosity and marketting schemes.Microsoft will kill the PC market, it's supporters, and their future if they continue being the prats they show themselves to be. They still speak down to people thinking they are all idiots, and somehow, I believe most who listen are.Their wacky ideas of what the future holds, or more specifically, what MS can gain from their consumers with more pointless and non-innovative ideas. A lot of candy coated hog wash.Supposedly Bill Gates will be retiring soon, and there doesn't seem to be anyone obvious enough to fill his shoes.I think MS will one day become open source, but not until they've still got a chance at making money from their software. Until it all stops, is probably when they will make it open, and if that happens, what will other software developers do?MC

Yeah, Micro$oft Sucks. Unfortunatly, they are big enough that they think that they can get away with almost anything.....

Open source is the only way to go....

Here are some News links on Free and Open Source Software (Foss):

User-friendly open source software befriends buyers, sellers

IBM Helps Drive Open Source Development

Microsoft admits targeting Wine users

There are more out there, all you have to do is google Open Source

Open source is the only way to go....

Either that or you know.... hard work.
Open source tends to be more secure, but why ?
their are many theory's, including "more eyes miss fewer mistakes"
But when we think closed source in a securety sence, we are usually talking about MS windows, or MS Webserver IIS.

Closed source douesnt have to be insecure, MS is just giving it a very bad name.

Take for example OpenBSD. ( http://www.openbsd.org/)

Linux is developed Globally, millions of people around the world. (the many eyes securety theory) But BSD although is released Open source, is mainly developed at the University of california.

They develope it in a closed source way, rarely taking patches from the general public.

And the OpenBSD distro is much smaller in developer number than FreeBSD.

Yet, despite its very smal size, OpenBSD is hands down, no question, the most Secure OS available today.

the reson is that each line of code is gone over very carefully, and almost all bugs removed before the project is even released to the public !

Only one remote hole in the default install, in more than 8 years!

If microsoft spent more time worrying about securety than it spent worrying about how many year behind there foolish release dates they are, there is no reason they couldnt take the same amount of care that OpenBSD does.

the price for securety.... is that in OpenBSD, new versions are software are generally not available for a few months's maybe upto a year because of the carefull checking of code.

but who cares, most windows users are probably still using Office 2000 right ?

Take for example OpenBSD. ( http://www.openbsd.org/)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, OpenBSD is open source as well, just not GPL OSS. Also, while it has fewer developers than FreeBSD, it benefits from the work done on FreeBSD by using much of the same code. The OpenBSD team just tests and patches stuff most of the time to kill any bugs or potential security threats. They do of course also write their own code, but FreeBSD is rather secure as well, so there is no need to reinvent the wheel. Hell, doing so would be more likely to introduce security holes.

well all i can say Microsoft is evil they have been forcing "windows" on us four years now, and now it's time to fight back, I say we all shal imigrate to the other side (the good side) LINUX BTW. SUSE 9.2 rules

Microsuck sucks, but of course people will realise that and the Linux users will spread the word every day in every way and it will be simply impossible to use a Windows after weighing up the facts about Linux and the advantages against the disadvantages.

Microsuck sucks, but of course people will realise that and the Linux users will spread the word every day in every way and it will be simply impossible to use a Windows after weighing up the facts about Linux and the advantages against the disadvantages.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But the problem for linux is and still probably will be useability. In copying windows to try and get people to switch, linux has copied many of their huge useability mistakes. Then, to make matters worse they tweak them so that even much of the advantage of familiarity is lost. If linux truly wants to take over, the Gnome and KDE people need to get together and produce a robust, highly consistent GUI with a well documented interface standard(eg learn from apple). Then, do similar improvements in core consumer applications: the GIMP, openoffice, whatever film-gimp is now called, Nvu,and say XMMS or some other music player.

Also, for source code crap, adopt a system like Gentoo where compilation is simplified and combine it with debian dependency handling and then give it a nice gui placed in a logical place(and call it system update). For binaries, use debian's method, once again with a good gui that conforms to the above mentioned standard interface paradigm.

I also suggest they get a file system like Apple's HFS+, with its universal file locating ability and so on (this allows you to move a file but still have all applications know where it is).

Ive never met a Linux Zealot, nor spoken to one.as far as i know, they are just inventions of the windows zealottes :) lol.That text you coppied sounds like its meant to be attacking the Linux Zealot, but instead seems to attack GNU itself.Their is Opinion, and their is fact, i saw nothing but opinions there.Kde Stole the windows GUI ?in terms of WIMP then yes....but Microsoft stole theWIMP idea from Apple, and Apple stole the WIMP from NextStep (which is a linux GUI)so the free software KDE, used idea's from the Free software NextStep.and this is the whole point of Open Source.its not stealing when its free.Some people may not like MS for *Stealing* because NextStep made no money from their idea.... MS did.

Dyth, I just deleted your post, copy and paste a whole article so you can get hosting credits is not acceptable and next time it will get you banned. just because you put a link to the article don't make it acceptable. You can use links to reference and support your points not to justify lazyness.Nils

Kde Stole the windows GUI ?

in terms of WIMP then yes....

but Microsoft stole theWIMP idea from Apple,

and Apple stole the WIMP from NextStep (which is a linux GUI)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, apple didn't steal NextStep. Jobs founded NeXT, which developed NeXTstep. Latter, an OSS version was made called GNUstep. Finally, Apple bought NeXT and used their software to build OSX.

So, it began with Apple and is still Apple that does the new stuff.