xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Airlub

Maya, Anyone? Moving away from Flash and Photoshop

I have both Flash and Photoshop and I wanted to work with more proffesional tools (even if they are $6000), does anyone use Maya? I have a trial verson from their website itself http://www.autodesk.com/products/alias-products/overview
Thanks.
----------------------

Moved post here since it's not a tutorial, :)Nils

Edited by OpaQue (see edit history)

i havent used maya properly but heard alolt of things about it. like they are very good for rendering. i use 3d studio max 6.0, which is widely used through all the industries like movie making special effects mostly animation. also it has lots of tutorials about on the internet, shops, or even the library. i had both trials and prefer 3d studio msx as it is easier to learn from, and probably faster to load up.

I'm using 3ds max too right now, if you give a crap. It loads up in 36.09 seconds (Yes, I timed it) on my 512 MB ram computer. It's pretty good, nice interface, but could be better. I've never used Maya, so I don't know if it's better than 3ds max. It seems like 3ds Max is more popular, but the REALLY good artists I've seen use Maya.

Maya is hard to use because it is so configurable. Plus, you have to create everything by yourself. I just made a vehicle program where I can create a vehicle rig with a specified * of wheels with a click of a button. If you do decide to learn maya, be ready to program.

hi..well first off im using 3ds max7 and it is awesome..it is recommended but sometimes i wonder too if i should change software well if i do switch to maya..they dont have that much tutorials in the net that i can use to teach my self.i mean if i buy a dvd it costs a lot of money..o well if you are rich you can probably afford to buy the software and the training dvd's..anyway if i was you i would buy 3ds max because it is good for modeling and animating..only if you have a fast pc :( or a mac (recommended if you are going to do graphics and animation)..3ds max has a crap load of tutorials in the net that can help you get started man..and if you but their dvd's you're going to be a pro in like 10 mins maybe less..because it is really easy to follow..well google a little bit so you can read some more articles about 3ds max :(..well hope this convinced you lol...peacE!

I am heavily into Maya and am and x-max user, so let me give you some input.. if your trying to create quick 3d graphics then go for 3ds max, otherwise maya is better, and here's why.. Maya has many more animation options and filters then max does, it also is widely used for many mainstream movies that you see today on the screen. the thing is you have to build everything from scratch to finish (hence no big shortcuts like max provides), which essentially equals more time consumption, but in the end you'll be getting a better final production. I haven't used max since version 5, so i don't know if they've added the skeleton feature, but this feature in Maya allow you to create a skeleton of your character, and this is a key to realism when it comes to animation... for example when you are trying to make a realistic character you want the face to move, hands to fidget, and chest to extrude and intrude.. in max this would take a while to do, in maya this would actually be quicker.. their both great modelling softwares with minor differences, but in the end i think if you're trying to go for something thats more professional, go for maya.. and if you're interested in it for a career, i'd take a good guess that Maya would look a lot better on a resume then Max, for the fact of all the movies that the software has been used for..

Well, I think that today, people don't need to spend much money to "buy" softwares because of P2P softwares. It has become easier, faster and better for the World Wide Web to share applications. I have also thought of working with Maya and believe me, it is the ultimate 3D-animation modelling, rendering software. My advice to you is to use P2P softwares such as Limewire (http://www.limewire.com/) and Kazaa (http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/) and Bit Torrent (http://www.bittorrent.com/). I haven't done the searching yet, but you should consider using these softwares to download Maya. Good Luck and inform me if you can find Maya. :P