xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
evion

Are We Missing Out On The Old Times?

We all take technology seriously, but has anyone thought how technology has made us so much more "intelligent" in a way that we feel that we should not "waste" time or others like "computer screens will spoil your eyesight if you look at it for too long". These are the results of increasing technology. My point is, we are totally missing out on the old days. No more running about in the countryside, no "family" time. These are usually dead spent on work/play/sleep/food. We are all humans and technology has no right to stop us from being what we have been before. Many people would say because we are all evolving into more "civilised" humans than before. I know we are all changing but is it all for the better? What are the consequences? What are the effects and results? Most of the population of urban towns wear glasses (Which you know the reason why). I myself wear glasses (I read too much...) and my whole family will too soon. I would like to know if any of you all can reflect on this matter and comment on what is to become of use if this continues. How much will it affect us?I would appreciate all comments made to this topic.

yeah, playing games on the computer seems more fun, because you need something for it, i guess, but when you actually do something like running about in the countryside, it's actually a lot more fun... too bad we cant realize it...

i tihnk your asking a loaded question. very few inventions have produced no new negative side effects. but i think that the nature of computers role in entertainment is a bit bloated. a really bad turn was when we decided we wanted realistic graphics. bad idea in my book, lots of fun games that ahve really un realistic graphics, and if i want realism, i'd go play out side. i live in a psudeo urbanized area. iowa city, it has a lot of the plusses of urbanization like liberalism and convenient bikable distances, but also a lot of the nature is still findable. so i rock climb and bike and practice martial arts int he forest and stuff.

its best to have a right balance between technology and normal life.. i used to have this problem some years ago.. stuck in front of the PC... then my parents advised me to go out and play some sport... now i am really into sport like cricket and football and tennis etc etc..whatever fun and excitement you get from playing computer games, you can NEVER really compare it to really playing some sport... for those who never tried, try goin to play football tomorrow afternoon for a change.. you will see the difference..i am serious try it out

technology is good and bad. for the bad part, you do kind of get addicted to it a little bit at playing games,graphics and video game consols also. but for this we should not all blame ourselves, because the government does this. they keep making roads for cars.. how about some sieswalks, some nice parks, where you could go hang out and be safe? than they say go out run, jog? whre are you supposed to do that? where cars can kill you, plus all the gas, humidity or whatever makes it no good. i live like 10 minutes from my school walking, i can't walk there because there are no sidewalks, and if you get on the road the chance id that you're gonna get hit. so what can we do? just got o movies, restaurants and get fat lol. im only speaking of us..Peace out

Not to far away technology will be used outdoors much more often. Devices in our clothes to monitor temperature, send GPS data to family, and call 911 if you say get run over while walking to school. One of the coolest things coming, though, are the see-through LCD screens attached to a headpiece. While playing a football game, you could see the score and location of everyone else on the field... you could access the internet from anywhere... be able to tell you house to cook dinner for you... know that your car is being stolen... but the most relevant thing to this topic is that the technology will be a great tool for us, while being outside, because its smaller, lighterweight, more comfortable and fashionable that earlier such devices. So play games outdoors with technology is my vote.

where's the fun in playing a sport with technology? sports are supposed to be natural. we have to learn to use our brain to instead of letting a computer do the work for us. look at what technology has done, all the chemical weapons now. I think theres more bad to technology than good. Technology is messing up the world.. nature,,earth. Soon, probbaby technology is going to end the world!

I agree with you that people should devote most of their attention to their family, but to play the devil's advocate here, I think that technology is necessary, and deserves quite a bit of attention. Think about it: a society is truly advanced when people stop farming for themselves, and rely on others to produce goods for them, so they can devote themselves to advancements in scienc, medicine, architecture, etc. Also, I think there's a point in every society where they become so large that they reach a cusp, and must either die out or exploit the resources they find outide their area (this can work for people living in a small town, a country, or a planet. If we ignore technological advancements completely, we will just fade away, and wear out our planet in the process.-Kyle

We all take technology seriously, but has anyone thought how technology has made us so much more "intelligent" in a way that we feel that we should not "waste" time or others like "computer screens will spoil your eyesight if you look at it for too long".

These are the results of increasing technology. My point is, we are totally missing out on the old days. No more running about in the countryside, no "family" time. These are usually dead spent on work/play/sleep/food.

We are all humans and technology has no right to stop us from being what we have been before. Many people would say because we are all evolving into more "civilised" humans than before. I know we are all changing but is it all for the better? What are the consequences? What are the effects and results? Most of the population of urban towns wear glasses (Which you know the reason why). I myself wear glasses (I read too much...) and my whole family will too soon.

I would like to know if any of you all can reflect on this matter and comment on what is to become of use if this continues. How much will it affect us?

I would appreciate all comments made to this topic.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I belive it is a path of no-return, one can only hope that technology will one day help man to live closer to nature.

a really bad turn was when we decided we wanted realistic graphics. bad idea in my book, lots of fun games that ahve really un realistic graphics, and if i want realism, i'd go play out side.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But you wouldn't be able to do things like in Vice City, Hitman, Halo, etc. in real life, or if you did, you'd have to suffer the consequences. I find video games to be a great stress reliever haha. Video game realism doesn't have anything to do with why most video games aren't as much fun as they used to be. It's like Hollywood movies, they're running out of original ideas, so they make crappy movies with recycled plots and crappy endings. . . they make crappy video games with recycled plots and crappy gameplay :D

know that your car is being stolen...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought that's what car alarms were supposed to do :P

where's the fun in playing a sport with technology? sports are supposed to be natural. we have to learn to use our brain to instead of letting a computer do the work for us. look at what technology has done, all the chemical weapons now. I think theres more bad to technology than good. Technology is messing up the world.. nature,,earth. Soon, probbaby technology is going to end the world!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's a bit extreme. Humans were killing each other quite effectively for thousands of years before any sort of technology came about... unless, of course, you consider bronze metallurgy as a "technology," then it wouldn't have taken as long for them to kill one another. And the atomic bomb was made long before Xbox :(

Don't get me wrong, I think technology has changed humanity but I don't think we've gone in either a bad or a good way. Technology has many medical benefits, but on the other hand, we're finding more ways to kill ourselves. We have awesome new technology for heart surgury, but we're needing it due to all the fast food crap we eat (sans vegitarians).

Technology is a double edged sword, and I doubt it's going away anytime soon. Best thing you can do is just hope for the best and see what happens. :D

I agree with you but i dont. I think the internet is a good reserch tool. This is the information age. I want a picture, i can find one. Also having moved away from alot of my friends, i am able to continue to talk to them though aim and continue knowing them. I probly never would have called or written them for a long amount of tme

has anyone thought how technology has made us so much more "intelligent" 

My point is, we are totally missing out on the old days. No more running about in the countryside, no "family" time.

We are all humans and technology has no right to stop us from being what we have been before. Many people would say because we are all evolving into more "civilised" humans than before. I know we are all changing but is it all for the better? What are the consequences? What are the effects and results?

I would like to know if any of you all can reflect on this matter and comment on what is to become of use if this continues. How much will it affect us?

I would appreciate all comments made to this topic.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am going to resist the nasty habit of anwering this piecemeal, and try to answer the question behind the questions. But to do this, it will seem that I am talking about something completely unrelated. Be patient.

Everyone has seen X-men 1&2 about the "next stage of evolution." One of the funny things about evolution and history is that these are things that happen in everyday life, only participants are often unaware of what is happening all around them. I believe that we are in the next of evolution already.

Only it not Darwin's theory because he had no "next stage" in his theory. But there are stages. If we look far enough back into the past, there was a time that there were only single celled organisms. And if we look carefully at our cells we see evidence that these too were once composed of smaller more primitive independent units (similar to bacterial and algae). Darwin's theory cannot explain these gaps. According to his theory the individual cells should continue struggling against each other for survival, so that only the fittest survive.

But this is not what happened. If we look at our bodies we will find that most of our cells no longer have the ability to survive on their own. By working together and sheilding each other, protecting weaker members they have changed all the rules of evolution. For them it is no longer survival of the fittest, it is survival of the community.

The driving force of evolution is always variation. Leaps of evolution occur when something happens that make a whole new range of variation possible. The beginning of sexual reproduction was one of those leaps. But think now about the inherent limitation that Darwin's evolution imposes upon variation. When it is all about individual survival, then there is not much room for variation is there? We should all be farmers or hunters in that case, don't you think.

Isn't it clear that human beings have also taken a step into the next stage of evolution. Don't we now protect the weaker members of the community? Look at what liberation it has brought us. Look at the variety of man. Have we not changed the rules of evolution ourselves? The use of glasses is a perfect example of how we are in the next stage of evolution. Just as individual cells have overcome their limitations with the technology of its community (think of the human eye), we have overcome the limitations of our biology and individual evolution with the technology of the community of man. And just like the cells in our body, the community has become our greatest concern and our encompassing environment.

I do not mean to declare that all is well or that there should be no concern over what we are becoming nor that we should completely abandon the natual world. But if you think about it, this concern itself is evidence of an increasing awareness of ourselves and higher consciousness that we are now a part of. The increasing freadom, choices and awareness that have come with this new stage of evolution, natually brings a whole new set of danger and responsibilities. But if we can avoid destroying ourselves by new technological weapons or the depletion of our resources, then to me at least the future looks pretty good. As for the proper balance of technology in the healthy human life, well now we have the chance find out the answer to that question, and the right to make that choice for ourselves.

Yeah... basically in time we will be so technology dependent in life that we probably will rot and die without it. I could not imagine myself right now without a car. There would be so many things going wrong with just one technology machine taken away from me. I think as we grow exponential as a whole, in order to keep it organized and civilized we rely on technology to store files on computer, to print out nice and clean essay papers, to drive to work (in my case), and so on.... Even though we are becoming more and more lazy now that we have technology to do all the hard work, we still seem to work hard like the old people did back in the days. I agree that its a path of no-return; for no reason that people will stop investing their time in technology because instead of having to waste my time and write this all out, all I have to do is press a couple hundred key strokes and I have this message out to everybody on the internet. Speaking of internet, it is probably the greatest technology discovery for mankind. I couldn't imagine myself without internet as much as my car. But all and all, hopefully the purpose of all these technology advancement would come to great use in saving our planet somehow from a big enormous comet... Until that day (which I highly doubt is going to happen in our lifetime), lets just rejoice that we do have technology and that it obvious expedite our jobs and make more jobs in so many different ways...Chin chin

On the subject of glasses; don't you think that more people wearing glasses is due to better diagnostic techniques, and opticions being much easier to access than in the past? Personally, I don't think a sole thing, eg computers, book, can be balmed for bad eyesight.