xisto Community
kids25

Best Anti-virus Programs ?

Hey everyone i just istalled ez aumor and it seems to the best that i have seen. Macaffe and Nortan all have bugs and were giving my errors and troble all the time! If you beg to differ lemme know!--------------------------------------------This certainly isn't the right place for this post. Since this pertains to protecting your OS (and since we don't have a separate forum for discussions on different aspects of Softwares) - am moving it to the OS forum...m^e

does anyone use tripwire ?unline normal scanners, instead of scaiing vor virii finger prints, it takes md5sums of all your system files, and stores them in an excrypted database.if any of them change, you know your are infected.its great becase it will detect any channge, even the ones made ny virii that are not in any virii database.

Tripwire could in a way act as an excellent intrusion detection system too - except that I could never configure it properly... I'd tried a lot few years back (was far less experienced with linux then) and gave up.. Thanks for reminding me - gotta try again.. Why don't you come up with a tutorial qwiji ??? Would be much appreciated, esp. by me :P

I use AVG Free Edition, its free after all and it works good, I don't get why people pay to buy an anti-virus, thats like paying for air, you need it, and you can get it for free, so why pay? Are the paid ones really that much beter? It just seems pointless to me that someone would pay for something when they could get it for free.

I believe that ZoneAlarm Security Suite has everything somebody wants. Antivirus (better than the Symantec one), Firewall (easier network configuration and program management), Email protection, Web filtering, Privacy and Cookies handling.Microsoft AntiSpyware is an alternative of Ad-Aware and it is also free. Find it @ Microsoft.com.Finally, using a secure browser such as Firefox, Opera, Maxthon makes sure your computer security.

i use norton antivirus 2003 came free with the pc preinstalled onto the computer. seems ok to use. might eat up your pre-loaded memory space on your RAM. it has a live update thingy installed together with the program. so if your on the internet it sometimes looks for updates for the program and updates itself without you knowing. well you can change the settings but i leave it on like this because of my laziness of my updating. without it my pc wouldnt able to fight the new viruses around these days.

I use AVG Free Edition, its free after all and it works good, I don't get why people pay to buy an anti-virus, thats like paying for air, you need it, and you can get it for free, so why pay?  Are the paid ones really that much beter?  It just seems pointless to me that someone would pay for something when they could get it for free.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I totally agree. AVG is definetly the best free scanner out there. It has E-mail scan, on access file scan, automatic updates, a virus vault ofcourse and you can scan your entire pc so no limits. :P

You can find more info and download it here.

try a combination of different things. like a combination of a progra mthat excels in getting rid of spyware, and others that are more powerful in different situations.

I use AVG Free Edition, its free after all and it works good, I don't get why people pay to buy an anti-virus, thats like paying for air, you need it, and you can get it for free, so why pay?  Are the paid ones really that much beter?  It just seems pointless to me that someone would pay for something when they could get it for free.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just like people buying Windows when they can just get their hands on a copy of a Linux OS for free. The reason everyone buys Windows is because of it's reputation and popularity in the market. Most people wouldn't even know there is an alternative to Windows if you didn't tell them. I wouldn't have known about it if I never browsed the internet.

It's very much the same story with most other software. People are going to buy the products they have heard of because they know the name and can trust it's quality just based on it's popularity. Again, if I never browsed the internet I wouldn't know that these free programs are out there and available to me... I would have thought my only option is to go out and buy Norton or McAffee from the store.

Anyway to get back on track with the topic... my favourite Antivirus scanner at the moment is definitely AVG. Does a great job, auto updates itself whenever it needs it and runs scheduled tests all behind the scene so I don't even know it's happening. All I need to see is the results from the scans, and that's exactly what it does for me, so I couldn't be happier. It also costs me nothing, so how can I go wrong? :P

Ok.. you guys - if you want a comparative review of all the antivirus software, goto: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ -->

That's what I follow to get my AV.. Currently using BitDefender Pro 8 Plus which is right at top of that list... Excellent stuff I must say, AntiVirus, Personal Firewall, Anti-Spam - all thrown into one neatly integrated package. And it really is as good as they claim it to be.. The manual scanning is a little slower but very thorough. Since I'm online 24/7 almost - I get flooded with thousands of worms & viruses - and this one caught EVERY SINGLE ONE of them - NONE came through.. Am very very happy with it.

Give it a try @ http://www.bitdefender.de/ - but first go to that review site above and see the comparision among the ones in the market presently..

kaspersky. beats the hell out of most of the others on any (independent and non-sponsored by mcaffee & norton-) test.lol at the one using norton and calling mcaffee slow. nooooorrttttttoooooon (pronounce very slowly).avg... well, it finds most of the stuff, however it has quite some holes and when it finds a virus, it has problems getting rid of it... :s sucky sucky.

AVG and panda are good... i don't mind paying for antivirus (i was using norton for nearly 5 years) but norton and all use too much of system resources and really reduces the time the pc takes to boot.. which is VERY irritating.

I use NOD32 on WIndow, it's very powerful and till now I'haven't had any problems, the resources used are not so high and then the program is divided in modules so when you update the db of the virus sometime you find a new module installed, to check office document or internet connections, it's very useful and i think is still free to download and you have to "pay" only the update license....