xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
qwijibow

Windowsxp Is Not Detecting My Dvd Writer Correctly it detects as cd-writer only

i have a drive whuich will read and write to all currebntly available cd and dvd formats.however windows thinks it is limited to writing cd's only.the writer writes dvd's fine under linux.in windows, i have used to hardware manager to dissable the network card.i want to use windows ONLY for newbie DVD authoring..i cant be bothered with service packs, virii, spyware, spyware removers adware removers, vitrius scanners and all that rubbish...so by my logic... no internet connection... no porblems (at least where windows is concerned)so i cannt use windows update.i am assuming this is a driver bug... am i correct ?any idea on how to correct it ?it doesnt matter if windowsXP cannot write DVD'si just need it to make DVD iso's (which is dissabled because it doesnt think i have a dvd writer)i can burn the dvd's under linux if i hae to.thanks for any ideas.

You need a driver update... AND you most likely require an update on your Windows.. What you may want to try and do is locate your driver.. you'll need the manufacturer's name and the product code, usually on the rear of the machine.. or.. once you have the unit plugged in and you're running Windows Do the following...
START>PROGRAMS>ACCESSORIES>SYSTEM TOOLS> SYSTEM INFORMATION

In the SYSTEM INFORMATION screen, expand COMPONENTS and click on 'CDROM'
this will give you details of the ROM's you have as well as the product ID
use this ID to search for a driver.. just searching on google should get you the driver..

Here are a few sites to help you search for the driver you need...

cdrom-drivers.com
driverzone.com
download.com

Hope you find what you require..

Rashid

thanks...i tempreily re-connected windows to the netwok and let it update my cdrom drivers.im behind a router, so hopefully im still viirus clean.

thanks...

i tempreily re-connected windows to the netwok and let it update my cdrom drivers.

im behind a router, so hopefully im still viirus clean.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok, I know you think windows is full of security problems. And it is. But its not THAT bad. Not by a long shot.

Go ahead and update everything. That will actually make it more secure than your bunker style reaction.

on average i get hit by a probe on problem ports every 3 to 5 minutes..which is much greater than the download time of the service packs.anyways. turns out the windows software is useless for dvd writing

yeah... i got it working. thanks

Good to see you got it working... but I was going to ask what burning software you were using, because this was most likely your problem. When I first installed my DVD writer, NERO wouldn't recognise that the drive was there. So I had to go ahead and update NERO, and it worked fine. It just seems to me that some programs just aren't compatible with certain hardware... and in this case, your burning software was not compatible with your drive.Anyway, good to hear you got it working.

Check if you got the latest drivers at driveragent.com and update you drivers. If it does not work, you may need to check if the cabels is correctly inputted. If that does not work either, you may need to update it's firmware. If that does not work, check if it is listed in device manager under System in the controllpannel. Or else it may be broken.