xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
sohahm

Iframes Are Evil

Iframes are EvilIframes are used for everything, but I have soooo much trouble with them.They never align right or they pop up something they shouldn't. I found frame generator, but even then I still got lost because I wanted a layout with them. Is there any really good help sites that explain iframes?

hm.. i think iframes are really do to do. its like a page inside and page. i am going to rebuild my website based on iframes. right now its just pages and pages. iframes will make it simpler and faster to load up.i think you should start from scratch, make a new page coding around the iframe. or make a table and put the iframe code in the that table. then resize the iframe to 100% width and hieght. make a new page linking to that iframe and in that table is that page. simple as that!

hm.. i think iframes are really do to do. its like a page inside and page. i am going to rebuild my website based on iframes. right now its just pages and pages. iframes will make it simpler and faster to load up.

i think you should start from scratch, make a new page coding around the iframe. or make a table and put the iframe code in the that table. then resize the iframe to 100% width and hieght. make a new page linking to that iframe and in that table is that page. simple as that!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I suggest you use a table and place your iFrame in it.. works out much neater..

Also read this I'd posted earlier... http://forums.xisto.com/index.php?showtopi=kaputnik&st=10

I think you'll get the hang of it with one or two trys..

All the best.. Rashid

I agree that iFrames are evil. Not because they're hard to do, but because I just really really really hate them. Yes, I'm hijacking this thread for my personal opinions on web design. Muhahahah!! Using iFrames, or normal frames for that matter, for the site basic design is, in my opinion un-userfriendly, a mark of lack of design skills and/or lazyness. Don't get me wrong, iFrames are OK for certain tasks. Like small boxes showing little something from another site and such, but when all site content is loaded into a frame so that the pages can't be neatly linked... Well that's when my face colour starts to fade towards #ff0000. I wouldn't be foaming this much if there wasn't a simple and a more professional way to do this: CSS overflow. It possibly combined with server side including and you have visially equal good if not better looking design. And most importantly, easily linkable. There, preacher has spoken and congregation shall obey. :)

You don't even need php to make a scrolling window. You can use div's inside of div's to create the same effect as an iframe.

<html><head><title></title><style type="text/css">#box {font-family:Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;text-align: center;font-size: 10px;width:160px;height:160px;overflow: auto;}.newscontainer {margin-bottom: 20px;}</style></HEAD><BODY BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF" TEXT="#000000" LINK="#0000FF" VLINK="#800080"><div id="box"<div class="newscontainer"><span>You can put text in this</span></div><div class="newscontainer"><span>And this</span></div><div class="newscontainer"><span>And this</span></div><div class="newscontainer"><span>And this</span></div><div class="newscontainer"><span>And this</span></div><div class="newscontainer"><span>And this</span></div><div class="newscontainer"><span>And this</span></div></div></BODY></HTML>

I personally can't stand i-frames for 90% of the ways I see them used. I always feel like I'm looking at a website through a keyhole in a door. All that beautiful space around the page... and I get to only look at that teeny-tiny part of the page change... :rolleyes:I would have to agree with kaputnik on using a table though. Just wing the i-frame inside the table field, set the height and width of the frame to the same dimentions of the table field, and you should be good to go :)

Well... since the topic starters question is already answered and the latest few replies, are .....how shall i put it... Off topicI sentence this topic to eternal close-ation. :rolleyes: