xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
lxcid

Which Video Card Is Better, ATI Radeon, Or N-Vidia

ATI cards has smoother and crispier graphics but doesn't support all games. While Nvidia supports all games but doesn't have the best graphics around. If you want compatibility choose Nvidia but if you want great display you may want to consider ATI. And ATI is cheaper than Nvidia

I am going to throw a monkey wrench into these works if it hasn't been already and state that although there are two big gpu manufacturers there are still many companies making video cards. Namely you can get an asus built ati card that could out perform an ati built card. Some 3rd party manufacturers will overclock from the factory and others won't as well the feature set isn't consistent. I prefer ati based cards and like the support.

Comparing the Graphic cards is not easy.I ran a benchmark test on ATI and Nvdia But something are worth noting.Some Features related to polygons and pixels are supported by ATI while some are supported by Nvdia.The Technologies which both offer are suited to diffrent situations which work bests for some games and applications. Both have their own specialities..

For me, its all about the Drivers !Not too Long ago, ATI's support for Linux was poor, Nvidia's support for Linux was Excellent.however today, Nvidia's drivers are still more up-to-date, but atleast ATI are catvhing up.ALSO, you gotta love the nvidia driver structure... One Driver fits all.the computer newbs dont need to worry about what card they have, just that its a nvidia, no version numbers to remember.HOWEVER.... MESA_GL does run alot faster on ATI than NVIDIA.so out of the box, ATI performs better on pure open source distro'sbut very few people will stick with MESA when they discover the ATI / NVIDIA drivers.

For me, its all about the Drivers !

Not too Long ago, ATI's support for Linux was poor, Nvidia's support for Linux was Excellent.

however today, Nvidia's drivers are still more up-to-date, but atleast ATI are catvhing up.

ALSO, you gotta love the nvidia driver structure... One Driver fits all.

the computer newbs dont need to worry about what card they have, just that its a nvidia, no version numbers to remember.

HOWEVER.... MESA_GL does run alot faster on ATI than NVIDIA.

so out of the box, ATI performs better on pure open source distro's

but very few people will stick with MESA when they discover the ATI / NVIDIA drivers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I recommend GeForce because well I like Nvidia much better than ATI. I never had a problem with Nvidia while I have always had a problem with ATI. Their drivers always sucked and I always needed patches. Nvidia is heaven.

If i could afford it I would prob get a newer ATI. Probably because I've never had one. This is my 1st actually decent computer, and all I have in it is Geforce 4 Ti 4800 se. Yah I know, the 4800 < 4600 but I didn't know that at the time. Crazy nVidia. Anyways, I suggest trying the ATI. I hear the grafix for games such as Doom 3 rock with the newest ATI. The grafix might be a bit better with the new nVidia, but all around is ATI's goal. nVidia is designed specifically for games (doom 3) or so I hear. All in all they're 2 pretty good cards.

I always buy BUDGET graphics cards , I dont see a reason why I must pay 50% of my pcs price or even more for a graphics card , yes I am a gamer but i am also a HUMAN being ! back in 2000/2001 the only GOOD budget card avaialble was the Geforce 2 MX 32 SDR which I still have for now , and I've played almost all games with it of course at 800x600 and low/med settings but then again my monitor is only 15 inch so i dont need superhigh resolutions ... games i played with this card " Nfsu / Nfsu2 / Fifa2005 /HL2 / Doom3 "Although I am upgrading my PC to a P4 3.06 ghz this month I am going to buy a NEW budget gfx card this time again ! they are value for mone and they make me play all the games i want , this time , my choice is the ATi Redeon X300 PCI-E 128 DDR , Although I saw some reviews about PCI-E and AGP and i am not really SHOCKED Or surprised since the diffrences are very very MINIMAL , yet there's no AGP version of the ATi Radeon X300 which outperforms Some cards like the Geforce FX5200/5600 and in some games the 5700 ... and is priced at 70-90$ ... that's a winner for me !

I definately have to go with ATi. I personally have the ATi 9600SE, and am quite pleased with it for a budget card. I've been able to play most new games at relatively high detail, but on 800x600 res in most cases. The resolution doesn't really concern me too much though, as long as I can have most of the settings set high. I regularly play Doom 3, HL2, NFS:U 2 and they all run very well with good detail and nice frame rates.Although I have not had any experience with nVidia, I am very happy with my ATi card and have no plans to change.

for cheap powerfull computers, you gotta build yourself..i have a 64bit Athlon 3400+ (2.4Ghz) socket 741 Hyper Transport Technology512Meg Ram80Gig 7200 Disk400Mhz FSBGeForce FX5700LE AGP8 128megRaid / ATA / SATA / USB1.1 and USB2 / onboard networking, surround sound output.all for £400, a similar spec system pre-built was on sale for £700 / 800 depending on extras.

for cheap powerfull computers, you gotta build yourself..

i have a 64bit Athlon 3400+ (2.4Ghz) socket 741 Hyper Transport Technology

512Meg Ram

80Gig 7200 Disk

400Mhz FSB

GeForce FX5700LE AGP8 128meg

Raid / ATA / SATA / USB1.1 and USB2 / onboard networking, surround sound output.

all for ÂŁ400, a similar spec system pre-built was on sale for ÂŁ700 / 800 depending on extras.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I totally agree with you. I have a very similar system that I built myself;

AMD Athlon64 3000+

512MB Ram

120GB HDD + 20GB Slave Drive

ATi 9600SE 128MB

All the other information I can't remember at the moment, I'm really not THAT into my computer. But this system, compared to an equivelant system made by DEL/Hewlett Packard etc. cost me next to nothing. In fact it was probably at least 1/3 of the cost of buying from a major manufacturer. This was the first system I've built myself from scratch, and I will never turn back again. Building from scratch definately is the way to go.

I have an ATI Radeon 9800 pro. I can't say much because I am not very familiar with nVidia's cards, but I can say that ATI delivers a solid, reliable card with excellent graphics.I'm sure you'll be happy with whichever you have or get; they're both solid cards with similar features.

This is one of the hotest topic ever happen in the gaming world... where gamers are most concern abt... which graphics card is better? my opinion is ATI... cuz i heard too much good stuff abt them and when i saw a game requirement that say... GeForce 3 and Above (Excluding GeForce 4 MX)... Which make me gone crazy and seriously wanted to change my graphics card... how can i get a later version of graphic card but i can't work on some games that the it previous version can... i'm currently abit lag out in the chase of graphics cards... i am considering of upgrading to one of the best on the market so tat it last as long as it could... not like that GeForce 4 MX card i'm having nw... so... ATI or Nvdia? considering their best product now on the market and in near future...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ATI is more towards digital art side, though it is good, i would have to save Nvdia would win in many more games than ATI. Nvdia is somehow designed for better performance in games, so, if you want a gfx card for gaming, i would suggest getting Nvdia, if you want to work with digital art , you should get ATI :P

my 2 cents .. :)..