xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
polarysekt

Linux Rules! Kde Or Gnome?

I love linux, I love opensource, and I hate people who think they can sell me bits of compiled machine code for $50+If you're gonna make money on software, it's gotta be for a "service" it requires -> like an online server, etc...now... who does not agree KDE pwns?????????

eek, sorry for the mixup... I was actually referring to the two gui's that come with most linux bundles... granted I use both win2k (for heavy commercial apps like reason and 3ds max) and linux (for all else), and tend to prefer linux, as I sometimes go out of my way to say :P... But I guess I should have been more specific and to the point that this post was directed primarily towards linux users alone...It's all cool though, as I tend to graze over the important details...I guess I should have also included the option of the straight command line interface in my options....**on a side note... that quote in your sig, mic_earth... It rules...is that yours, or would you know who said it?basically i wanna stick it in my gaim profile, but i'd rather not follow it with an "- anonymous"**and hell, while I'm at it... I might as well append to my inquiry which distribution people prefer... whether it be red hat, suse, debian, etc...but, while I'm here I wanna say that although I'm die-hard for linux, gnome drives me insane, and i like kde because it seems more unniversally supported...peace,polarysekt

now... who does not agree KDE pwns?????????

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Totally unrelated post to the topic... but god I hate it when people use the word pwn. The word own is annoying enough when used in that context, but if you have to use it, please spell it properly at least.

Sorry for the rant, I must be getting too old for the internet... but I just enjoy reading stuff when it's been written properly.

And hey, nothing against you personally polar, you're posts seem to be pretty good so far and I like you already... it's just a general rant about that damn word PWN. If you had written something like omg dat kde gui is lyke da bezt it fkn pwnzzz!!!, then it would be personal :P Just like this post;

linux Rulezzz

First of all, why spell it with a 'z'? And secondly, why use three of them? It's just ridiculous and so damn annoying to read. But oh well, I'll shut up now.[/rant]

Well I really like linux and opensource software. But I don't really like KDE or GNOME. Both are too bulky for me. I enjoy a very minimalistic interface. I use openbox with no taskbar and instead i use xfce4-iconbox which only shows minimized applications. In case anyone's interested here's a link to a screenshot of my desktop.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

on a side note... that quote in your sig, mic_earth... It rules...

is that yours, or would you know who said it?

basically i wanna stick it in my gaim profile, but i'd rather not follow it with an "- anonymous"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dude, it's from Douglas Adams (a technological Alice in Wonderland) book named "HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy" or The HGTG. Refer to it with as much respect and veneration as you can sum up :P It's my BIBLE .. lol.. believe it or not I sleep with it under my pillow and own about 18 different editions of it. You should READ IT RIGHTAWAY or better yet grab a copy of the radioscripts/broadcast tapes and listen to then when your psychoactives are just setting in :P lol Originally it came out as a trilogy and then one more was added to it.. In the final publication all of them were combined into ONE BIG HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE. In etymological order, they are:

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Life, The Universe and Everything

Mostly Harmless

In short, NOTHING like it has been ever written and you'll find plenty more quotations like the one in my sig - in fact EVERY SINGLE LINE in the book is worth quoting. Here are some more excerpts from it for all of you:

My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes.

--Life, The Universe and Everything

The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

--Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

"Now it is such a bizarrely improbable coincidence that anything so mindboggingly useful could have evolved purely by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see it as the final and clinching proof of the non-existence of God.

"The argument goes something like this: `I refuse to prove that I exist,' says God, `for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing.'

"`But,' says Man, `The Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED.' (s.42)

He picked up the letter Q and hurled it into a distant privet bush where it hit a young rabbit. The rabbit hurtled off in terror and didn't stop till it was set upon and eaten by a fox which choked on one of its bones and died on the bank of a stream which subsequently washed it away.

During the following weeks Ford Prefect swallowed his pride and struck up a relationship with a girl who had been a personnel officer on Golgafrincham, and he was terribly upset when she suddenly passed away as a result of drinking water from a pool that had been polluted by the body of a dead fox. The only moral it is possible to draw from this story is that one should never throw the letter Q into a privet bush.

--The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

"The most extraordinary thing about it was that it looked only partly like a spaceship with guidance fins, rocket engines and escape hatches and so on, and a great deal like a small, upended Italian bistro."

"Bistromathics,' he said, 'the most powerful computational force known to parascience."

"Numbers written on restaurant checks within the confines of restaurants do not follow the same mathematical laws as numbers written on any other pieces of paper in any other parts of the Universe.

The single statement took the scientific world by storm. It completely revolutionized it. So many mathematical conferences got held in such good restarurants that many of the finest minds of a generation died of obesity and heart failure and the science of math was put back by years."

More at:

1. http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

2. http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

3. http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

4. http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

5. http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

6. http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/Douglas_Adams

Have fun :P

Well I really like linux and opensource software.  But I don't really like KDE or GNOME.  Both are too bulky for me.  I enjoy a very minimalistic interface.  I use openbox with no taskbar and instead i use xfce4-iconbox which only shows minimized applications.  In case anyone's interested here's a link to a screenshot of my desktop.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But I really like fluxbox.

But I really like fluxbox.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I like fluxbox as well, I just prefer openbox a little more. Fluxbox is a little more eyecandy geared than openbox is. Not that I don't like eyecandy but openbox has a really neat feature called pipemenus. You tie a menu to a script that generates the menu on the fly based on the output of the script. It's really nice. I have one that checks my gmail, and another that'll tell which packages are out of date. And I love writing scripts to make them. It also uses XML for all it's config files which I also like. I used to use fluxbox until I found out about openbox, but if you just can't live without transparent menus and xorg's composite support than openbox probably isn't for you.

I do... It looks like the dashboard of my baby nephews toy car... Al those rounded buttons and happy colors... Iew... Just give me GNOME please.

I also like the windowmanager that is used in Damn Small Linux, can't remember the name though.

I like Linux too. I'm personally using KDE, because I am a newbie and it seems easier to start with. However, I've disabled all the disgusting eye candy such as menu fading and stuff like that. I am a minimalist, but I just found fluxbox and the similar hard to use.

I love linux, I love opensource, and I hate people who think they can sell me bits of compiled machine code for $50+

If you're gonna make money on software, it's gotta be for a "service" it requires -> like an online server, etc...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah linux rocks.... but winXP isn't that bad either.. i use both of them

about KDE and Gnome, i think KDE looks better.. Gnome looks a bit too simple for me.. but at functionality i guess they both are on par with each other..