xisto Community
amkint

Paypal Without A Card... can i accept payments?

okay i opened an account in paypal.. but for some reason they are not accepting my visa electron debit card..i contacted them also.. they replied almost a week later saying that that card cannot be added and i should contact my card issuer bank for more info...ok i don't want to go through all the trouble of complaining to the bank and all... as it is, it is an indian public sector bank and i will have a hard time with them..what i want to know is that can i still accept payments with this account? if so, i can use that money for shopping online with that paypal account... i have this doubt as my paypal account page has the link "Add card" under the title Activate account..please reply.munimNote: sorry this topic doesn't somehow fit under "what is.." but i couldn't find another place to put it and i need a reply urgently. thanks.

Hey amkint,

Even I've a couple of VISA ELECTRON debit cards, but it's that electron part that prohibits it from being used online. Have you ever used it to buy anything online ? I've tried earlier and never could. The only response I got from my bank is that the ELECTRON stamped cards are ONLY to be used on Card Swiping Terminals and ATM Machines. In all probablity, your card number is NOT ENGRAVED on your card, but just printed. I don't know much about all the different card formats, but I've noticed that mostly you can use the cards with engraved lettering online (and with paypal)... and electrons - not at all - at least the ones you get in thailand. Now since all these VISA, MasterCard, VISA Electron etc.. are supposed to conform to certain worldwide standards, I think the same rule applies to your card too... specially lol.. the card from an indian PUBLIC Sector Bank..lol.. yeah tell me about them (i've had my own share of experiences with them)....

I was going to tell you to cross check with your bank again - but then when I read what bank it is - errr... you indeed would have a hardpressed time with them.

I'm not sure though whether you'll be able to receive payments. You should check up on the different types of accounts PayPal has - I think the basic one doesn't permit you to receive payment. In case they do, try sending in a check or wire transfer the money to them.. Once that is put into your account - you can easily go off on a shopping spree.

Oh yeah one more thing - that Add Card button is visible in all the account types - it's their method of verifying your authenticity. If you have a credit card or some card that's accepted online, (this is what they did earlier) they'd charge your card for a couple of dollars and when the statement of charge appears on your credit card bill, you get a certain Code Number along with that .. it's this Code Number that you got to go back to PayPal and enter - to prove that you are indeed the authentic cardholder....so there...

All the best with your bank... lol ;) Why not try switch to HSBC or Standard Chartered ??

P.S. I'm from India too ;) Calcutta.. but now settled in Thailand

thanks for clearing my doubts...hey i am a member of corpbank and its actually a good bank.. only problem they won't properly listen to complaints..HSBC and Standard Chartered are both MNC banks in india... they require more intial deposit.. don't think my dad will allow..whats more... i am not on a salaried account so i think i can't get a credit card!

I have an ICICI Debit card w/ Electron thing and I have used it couple of times on the net. I dont remember. I use my card online more than I use it on those swapping machines.. LOL, Anyway, Many of them did not accept that card. But Some do accept it. Or may be, they cut my cash out of the secondary card that I had set (credit).

can u give an example of any site where u used an electron card? thanks..PS: this is shocking.... even u r indian!!

really good popular website that accepts visa electron card is "amazon.com" it has fast delivery, and free delivery for any that is over £19GDP. i rekon its a good site to buy from. foundd that 100cds costs only £10 on there! what a bargin!

oh i never knew amazon supports visa electron cards!! thanks.. i gonna try it out.

I'm not sure though whether you'll be able to receive payments. You should check up on the different types of accounts PayPal has - I think the basic one doesn't permit you to receive payment. In case they do, try sending in a check or wire transfer the money to them.. Once that is put into your account - you can easily go off on a shopping spree.

U can receive payment from your customers by asking them to send their money from their paypal's account to your's, but if you're talking about taking credit card payment on your online website from customers, then you can't do that if your paypal is a personal account as opposed to a business account, regardless of whether your account has been verified with a credit card.

okay i opened an account in paypal.. but for some reason they are not accepting my visa electron debit card..i contacted them also.. they replied almost a week later saying that that card cannot be added and i should contact my card issuer bank for more info...

ok i don't want to go through all the trouble of complaining to the bank and all... as it is, it is an indian public sector bank and i will have a hard time with them..

what i want to know is that can i still accept payments with this account? if so, i can use that money for shopping online with that paypal account... i have this doubt as my paypal account page has the link "Add card" under the title Activate account..please reply.

munim

Note: sorry this topic doesn't somehow fit under "what is.." but i couldn't find another place to put it and i need a reply urgently. thanks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey Amkint,

I can only give you an insight here. Debit cards issued in India do not function for online transactions. While I was in the UK last I tried this with my HSBC issued (Bangalore) Visa Electron on Amazon as well as eBay - Unsuccessfully (my Barcleys Card as well as my India issued Credit card worked though). The reason has not been absolutely clear, but it has something to do with the ATM transaction security acceptability issues in India. Recently though, various banks have associated with PaisaPay (http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/) to push account transfers. You can accept Credit card transfers through this too. By either linking an account with one of the partner banks (of PaisaPay) or your credit card.

To use the PayPal account you will need to link your Credit Card (Not debit). Although I had a PayPal account this was recently closed because they required an American Social Security Number too.

Hope this was helpful

R

kaputnik: Thanks for the post. Like me, I think a lot of Indians would be thrilled to know that we have a Indian contemporary of PayPal now. I would have never guessed, primarily because I've been out of my country for so long. I only get to hear - THIS change and THAT change has taken place; unfortunately never got to experience any of them.. This is really cool news.

All right... Keep posting and have fun. This is the greatest board to be in :P

Regards,

m^e

P.S. I don't mean to be negatively critical, but you gotta work on you web-site dude. One thing I learnt (even though I'm no artist - my brain only works when it comes to Linux and Coding - stops at all else. I am the kind of person who'd rather spend the whole evening trying to fight with one of the most difficult-to-configure proxy servers work out all good) that white text on a very dark background makes it really hard on your poor eyes. There are only "so many" sites who have been able to come up with a white-on-black theme that's really catchy and pleasant to look at. So if you are one of those people who want to make an impression of themselves on the WWW, I think you should rethink the whole layout and color concept and come up with something brilliant.

I'm sure you can. I couldn't even come up with a site that's half as good as yours :P

All the best....

Can anyone help me out with this?I have been trying to get a CreditCard 4 ages but i did not succed.. :PNow i want 2 ask u what is the legal age to get a CARD in your countryes (name them).And is there a way in wich i can order a Ccard on the net and have it deliverd (dum question)?

Can anyone help me out with this?

I have been trying to get a CreditCard 4 ages but i did not succed.. :P

Now i want 2 ask u what is the legal age to get a CARD in your countryes (name them).

And is there a way in wich i can order a Ccard on the net and have it deliverd (dum question)?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi there xtron...

I just did some quick reading about your country's credit card usage stats. as well as issuing authorities comments... It seems that Romania has had a wave of credit card frauds over the last year which has caused a lot of merchant establishments to become weary of accepting the same..

About credit policy in India.. just a broad outline..

One has to be an ault of at least 18 years of age at the time of application for a credit card.. you can retain a credit card as an addon holder (where a parent or relative has the primary card and is responsible for paying your bills once you are over 12 years). To apply for a credit card, you will be required to furnish proof of having resided continously in a single address for a minimum of one year, permanant proof of identification (like your passport), You will have to show that you have maintained a positive balance in a bank through bank statements (which also show the address proof you submit), you need to show that you are an income tax accesee (with a minimum income of 75000INR per annum) by submitting your last income returns as well as proof of employment (in case you're a businessman, then the last year's balance sheet), copy of your permanant account number with the Income tax department. As soon as you have these documents, you'll ususally be issued a credit card within 5 days of application. The normal credit limit is 3 times your monthly limit with a 40% cash advance limit on the total credit amount.

I do hope this gives you an insight into the credit card issuing policy in general within India to Indians. ALSO, another way to get a credit card in India is to make a fixed deposit in a bank of 100,000INR Or above and you'll be issued a credit card with a 60% of deposit value. Then again you still require the basic proof of residence as well as IT papers.

I came across an interesting brief on credit cards in Romania.. Euroline Card Services which will issue credit cards to anyone with an income of 2,8 millions ROL. For more on this Visit their LINK

Wish you all the best in your hunt for a card.

R.A.