xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
harriko

No Sound In Dos

i recently downloaded some roms to play in dos but the only problem is the sound. i cant get it working. i need the settings "SET BLASTER=???????" i do not know the settings for my onboard sound card does anyone know how i can find this out? i tried everything!

i recently downloaded some roms to play in dos but the only problem is the sound. i cant get it working. i need the settings "SET BLASTER=???????" i do not know the settings for my onboard sound card does anyone know how i can find this out? i tried everything!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If i remember correctly - the general format used to be an interrupt setting, a port settng and ... hold on let me recall...ummm..

SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H5 P330 T6

A = Sound Blaster's Base I/O Port (usually defaults to 220)

I = Interrupt Request Line (try from 5-9)

D = 8 Bit DMA Channel (usually 0-3)

P = Midi Port (MPU-401 Base I/O Port)

T = Type of Sound Blaster Card....

Possible Values of T

-----------------------

1 = Sound Blaster 1.5

2 = Sound Blaster Pro I

3 = Sound Blaster 2.0

4 = Sound Blaster Pro II

6 = Sound Blaster 16/AWE 32/32/64

-----------------------

There, you have it all ;) Try various combinations of those values till you get one that works for you..

All the best

argh... aint there any easier way? like go into start -> programs -> Accessories -> system Tools -> System information? could i get the combination there? i agree with treak37 its going to take ages! only info about my onboard sound card i got is:ESS Allegro PCI Audio (WDM)Conflicts/sharing - Resource - IRQ 5I/O - Resource - 0x00001000-0x0000100FFIRQs - IRQ5PNP Device ID - PCI\VEN_125D&DEV_1988&SUBSYS_B19D0E11&REV_12\4&24AB0D93&0&28F0Driver - es198x.sys

argh... aint there any easier way? like go into

start -> programs -> Accessories -> system Tools -> System information?

could i get the combination there? i agree with treak37 its going to take ages!

only info about my onboard sound card i got is:

ESS Allegro PCI Audio (WDM)

Conflicts/sharing - Resource - IRQ 5

I/O - Resource - 0x00001000-0x0000100FF

IRQs - IRQ5

PNP Device ID - PCI\VEN_125D&DEV_1988&SUBSYS_B19D0E11&REV_12\4&24AB0D93&0&28F0

Driver - es198x.sys

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lol.. unfortunately there's no such way in DOS - and autodetect mode as nils said, is the USER... but since found out all that info about your sound card, if you look a little carefully you'll see half of your needed data is right there:

The Sound Blaster Port in DOS will always be at 220 I think.

Look at the second line. IRQ 5 --> Thats your IRQ

All modern cards should be compliant to a level that around Sound Blaster 16/AWE 32/32/64 - so your type should be 6

I say, try this string: SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D0 P330 T6

If it doesn't work - repost and I'll see what else can I come up with....

All the best

Hey harriko,
You could try using the DOSBOX Dos Emulator from SourceForge... this is what they say about it:

DOSBox 0.62 Released
This release should hopefully increase compatibility even more and add some more speed especially with dynamic core.
Some of the changes are.

* Improved x86 dynamic core, more stable.
    * The usual cpu/fpu emulation fixes and speedups.
    * Soundblaster 16 and opl3 emulation added.
    * Internal mixer updated with interpolation and volume support.
    * Intelligent MPU-401 emulation added.
    * ISO/Disk image mounting support.
    * Custom chipset emulation for cga,tandy hercules modes.
    * Improved pc-speaker emulation.
    * Improved GUS emulation.
    * Added a keymapper.
    * VGA/VESA Bios fixes.
    * IPX networking support.
    * A zillion internal dos fixes/updates.
    * New ddraw rendering output and new render functions.
    * Raw adlib/midi capturing.

It's supposed to provide support for your old dos programs and recognizes many sound cards too.. I haven't tried it out yet - in the process. You should give it a shot too...
Can get it @: http://www.dosbox.com/news.php?show_news=1

All right, downloaded the software and tried it out - ITS REALLY GOOD. check my other post: http://forums.xisto.com/topic/81848-topic/?findpost=1064288165

I think you should use it - it'll help you configure those SoundBlaster parameters to quite an extent... ;)

All the best

in real dos first i tried:SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D0 P330 T6did not work at all, o yeh forgot to mention that when i try to load a emulation enabling sound. funny codes come up and then it quits, and back to the command screen.second i tried:SET BLASTER = A220 I7 D1 H5 T6i got this settings from the Dosbox program you referred me to. still does not work. same effects as the others.i loaded up dosbox just now and found out the other settings:ULTRASND=240,3,3,5,5ULTRADIR=C:\ULTRASND\wiLl it make any difference at all?

I'm not sure if you'll be able to get the sound to work in regular DOS. Nowadays, sound cards and hardware works much differently than it used to and the program will probably just not work. You can try a sound emulation program but your best bet is to just run it with DOSBox. I tried it and it works very well with most programs.