xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ndhill

Marathon Trilogy Any old school Mac users out there?

The Marathon Trilogy is being re-released by Bungie as a free download. You can get all three of the original games as well as the editing tools.

For those who don't know, Marathon was one of the very first 3-D shooters ever made. This game is an (unfortunately) obscure cult classic. It was such a cool little title on so many levels. It was dark, atmospheric and it had a very complicated and emersive plot that put you on a moon-sized colony ship that had been over run by alien Pirates. What's not to love? The first one had a pretty simple premise. You're alone on a massive spaceship that's under siege by alien slavers. It sounds simple but when you throw in the ship's Rampant artifical intelegence and missions that have you trying to convice alien slaves to rise up against their masters, you can't help but be drawn in. The next two games take place in a wider range of locations like ancient alien ruins and deserted space stations of unknown design and have you trying to uncover alien history in order to stop the Universe's destruction.

I'm a huge Mac fanatic from way back. I still remember playing the first Marathon game on my ancient Centris 650. I know a lot of you are probably look at those cheesy sprites in the screenshots and wondering what all the fuss is about, but for me this is my Pacman or Asteroid. It's a classic and will never be dated .

Marathon was my introduction to computer gaming. I remember first playing when i was ten years old on some of my dad's old macs in his neurobiology lab. He would let me play on the computers while he worked. One the very hip grad students most have loaded the programs. Since I first played it, i became totally fascinated. It is definitely a cult classical, and will remain so, only known to the hip and privledged of the computer gaming world.

Definitely. I know everything about it may seem dated when compared to todays standards but those games really created a cool experience that was comparable to halflife in my oppinion.

Yes, they will. I known that a MacOSX native application is also in the works for all three games. Basically it would play like the classic versions and read the same maps, shapes, music, etc files. Also, if you have the first Unreal Tournament, they've releases a mod package called 'Marathon: Resurrection' which is a remake of the first game with the Unreal graphics engine.