xisto Community
Admiral Lyoko Samus

Dell, Windows, Or Me? Weird problem with speakers....

Ok, I've had this problem for about a year. I've tried every single configuration offered by the BIOS, Windows, and even the hardware itself, but my speaker's refuse to be balanced! Though Windows says they are, I know my speaker's are unbalanced. The right is louder than the left. I have absolutely no clue what's wrong with it, so here's system specs:Manufacturer: DellModel: Dimension 4600Processor: Pentium 4 with Hyperthreading @ 2.4 GhzRAM: 512 MBHDD: 111 GB Windows Partition | 9 GB Dell PartitionSpeakers: Harmon/Kardon Stereo Speakers with SubwooferSound Card: Creative Sound Blaster LIVE! SeriesSuggestions?

This may be out in the left field but here we go:Did you try the speakers on another computer and did you try another set of speakers on this computer? if the magnet crapped out on one speaker the balance will be difficult to obtain?I'm not a music person so I wouldn't hear the difference. I'm suggesting this as a way of eliminating one or the other. (It's my way of eliminating a lot of simple issues)Nils

What model of Harman Kardon speakers you have? The problem is most likely the speakers and not the computer. My HK speakers from Dell had some problems I think too.

You have to look beyond the trees to see the forest. I think your problem is the volume control for your speakers. I have seen similar problems like this and found that the volume control was faulty due to the cheap design, one of the tracks gets worn faster and cause this problem.Get a pair of jumper clips and bypass your volume control and see if the left and right don’t balance out?

Anyway I can do that without my parents noticing the rig? Especially since they'll scream their heads off at me and ask, "What the h**l did you do to this! Get rid of it!"Me: But Mom, all I did was balance out the speakers!Mom: They worked fine before! Now, get rid of that!Me: *Under breath* That's because you are deaf and have no appreciation for the arts... :P