xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
kc8yff

Most Stable Windows Os

i would agree, DOS is probably the most stable MS OS.

True, DOS is the most stable OS, considering it is the Disk Operating System, but other than that, Windows 2000 Professional Edition is the most stable operating system from Microsoft that has cross-platform and system communications. Though I loathe to admit it, I still prefer XP Professional since I have total control over the computer via the Administration Tools.As for Mac OS X, I have one question: where in the world did you get the money for a Mac?! ;) Favorite OS? Pretty much anything with Linux, though I'm not much of a connoisseur. ;)

*Chuckles* You'd be surprised. I know a few people at my church that still use the old IBM's that only run DOS. I think it's funny, but in truth, that's one of the most useful things to know how to use. It's just a shame the Microsoft had to totally obliterate the use for it, with the exception of safe-mode and the Command Prompt emulator.

As for Mac OS X, I have one question:Ā  where in the world did you get the money for a Mac?!Ā  ;) Favorite OS?Ā  Pretty much anything with Linux, though I'm not much of a connoisseur.Ā  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, lets see...they don't cost much more than any other computer, after software is factored in. Especially the ibooks. Those are very nice for the price.

well i am currently using windows 2000 professional right now and i think it is the best out all the operating systems ive used. it nearly has no errors. I can rely on it better than windows Xp home and all those other ones

well i am currently using windows 2000 professional right now and i think it is the best out all the operating systems ive used. it nearly has no errors. I can rely on it better than windows Xp home and all those other ones

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm doing so too - since the appz I develop are on .NET platform - and I chose Win2K over XP coz it normally is more stable than XP in a sense. But the moment you start installing a huge amount of sw (I need a wide array of products ranging from CVS, Profilers, Obfuscators, Debuggers ..etc) - sometimes multiple sw-s for the same thing - the system begins to deteriorate like anything. It can't stay up for more than 6-7 hours at a stretch with the amount of heavy compiling I do. I need t restart it once at least during that period - or else it just grinds down to a crawling speed.

Ā 

One more funny and often neglected point about the whole NT/Win2k/XP family of products is that they are ALL supposed to be POSIX compliant - which in effect means the should be able to run *NIX bianries conforming to the POSIX standard, straight out of the box. But has any of you ever tried to run Linux binaries on Win even with the CygWin libraries ?? Anyone with a good degree of success should let me know - coz I've failed over and over again.

Regards..

I am currently using windows 98, and so far, I believe it is the most stable OSĀ  on the market(If it is still on the market...)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Errrrr.... I dunno if you can really call Win 98 a full blown REAL Operating System. It was more of a Graphical Shell that still ran on the old MS-DOS in the background. There was hardly any OS part to the GUI, not to mention the oh-so-frequent "Illegal function calls" and crashes that were just a followup on the old windows "General Protection Fault" days. ;) Man, I couldnt handle that anymore..