xisto Community
kc8yff

Upgrading From A 450 MHz Processor

I am planning to upgrade my old computer. I am currently running a P3 with 450 MHz and 128 mb RAM. I am planning on upgrading it, and I don't really know where to start. I'll need a new motherboard and ram (which will depend on the processor I get). I don't know what to properly call this, but it is a seprate unit that holds all the PCI cards. I need a motherboard which that seprate unit will fit into. I have absolutely no idea where to start and I need some help.Thanx!!

Before upgrading I recommend u these steps:1º How much money do you have?2º How do you plan to use it? (home, work, gamer, video editing, etc)3º Which brand of processor do u like ? (intel or amd)once you answer this steps, i can help you and find the correct system for you.greets Deivid

yes also you have to see if your mother board can handle a better processor. if it does make sure not to over-clock it cause some processors cant handle being over-clocking i recommend AMD but again its your choice

Like was said it's largely dependant upon how much your willing to spend, though I'd probably just avoid the whole over clocking thing for now since, and don't take this as an insult or anything especially if I'm wrong, you don't sound like the most knoweledgable person about hardware and don't want to wreck your new investment out of the box. Also I'm not quite sure what this seperate PCI card holder is that your talking about since the only computer I've ever seen where the PCI slots weren't directly on the mobo was my old IBM 486 that had a board perpendicular to the mobo to hold them. Unless you've put a new video card in sometime in the last two to three years you'll also be wanting to get at least an entry level one of those even if you won't be gaming. Another thing will also be a new Power Supply Unit since the new processors really need at least a 350W PSU to run comfortably, which means it may be smarter to just spring for a new case like the X-Dreamer II case which for about $50 comes with the casse and 350W PSU which is only about $10-15 more then a name brand PSU.

If your looking to go with a more budget price for parts but still want good performance I'd suggest the AMD Sempron 3100+ that uses the Paris core and is socket 754. It is by far the best budget processor, an Athlon 64 with the ability to do 64 bit computations disabled but that's still moot as it'll be a while before 64 bit programs become common, and since it is socket 754 will allow you to upgrade to an Athlon 64 on the same motherboard down the road. I'd suggest getting 512MB of PC3200 for your ram, like the Corsair Value Select 512MB PC3200, and a mobo like the Albatron K8X800 which is a good price with good features and integrated sound and ethernet. What video card to go with would depend largely on how much of a gamer you are so I'll reserve any comment on that, but this is an excellent budget system and while you'd be spending a touch more if you can't afford to upgrade reguraly, as why you'd probably be buying a budget system, it'll last a good while and be more cheaply upgradeable for quite a while.

No matter what your going with though use ww.newegg.com, it's by far the best computer store on the web. The prices are almost always the lowest, and even when they're not they're really close and the excellent service, reliability, and shipping speed, I've gotten everything I've ordered early or on the first two days of the arrival window, more then make up for it. Anyone who's bought from them will say the same most likely.

Edit to ssjojo- The mobo's for a P3 450, it's not even worth upgrading without taking a step up to the current class of processers.. To get one over 1Ghz you'll spend more then on the Sempron 3100+ and it's a pointless upgrade as you'll be upgrading again in no time and have spent far more money.

Well, I am trying to be as flugel as possible. I am actually thinking about not thinking about upgrading -- perhaps an Apple Mac Mini. Since it will cost less for me to upgrade, chances are I will upgrade. My budget is around $250, and $300 is pushing it, but I can pull it off. I would like a processor with 2.0 GHz+. AMD is what I am looking for, but I heard AMD's require many fans because they get pretty hot. Is this true?

Well, I am trying to be as flugel as possible. I am actually thinking about not thinking about upgrading -- perhaps an Apple Mac Mini. Since it will cost less for me to upgrade, chances are I will upgrade. My budget is around $250, and $300 is pushing it, but I can pull it off. I would like a processor with 2.0 GHz+. AMD is what I am looking for, but I heard AMD's require many fans because they get pretty hot. Is this true?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm using an AMD Athlon64 3000+ and I don't have any problems with it getting too hot. The only fans I have running are the CPU fan that came with the CPU, and a regular case fan. But these are standard to any system, so no I would definitely say that AMD processors don't require many fans. Although it never hurts to keep your CPU running as cool as possible, so the extra fans would not be bad thing.

The old ones got much hotter then the new ones do, but you have to consider that it's all relative as they're built on a bigger process then the Intel processors, the Athlon 64's are still .13micron when the P4's have moved to .09micron. If your going with an older AMD processor just make sure you spen an extra $20 or so and pick up a good heatsink/fan from Thermaltake and some Arctic Silver 3 thermal compound and you'll be good.

The old ones got much hotter then the new ones do, but you have to consider that it's all relative as they're built on a bigger process then the Intel processors, the Athlon 64's are still .13micron when the P4's have moved to .09micron.  If your going with an older AMD processor just make sure you spen an extra $20 or so and pick up a good heatsink/fan from Thermaltake and some Arctic Silver 3 thermal compound and you'll be good.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Go find a processor between 100-150 dollars. Spend 50 on a MB from shuttle. Spend the rest on RAM.

I know this because I did an upgrade with the exact same amount of money to my name. You will get a pretty nice system.

Why r u considering upgradeing if it is so much trouble??.. i had a similar problem 2 yrs ago and i just waited till i had enough money to get a new pc ... now it depends how much your desired pc costs in your country...Another advice ... AMD's do get hot if they do not have the correct cooler sistem... but on the other hand u might want to consider aquaring a AMD if u want 2 play games, or i u need complicate compilation or calculations done get a INTEL.Now if u really want 2 upgread u might consider buying all the needed components and puting them away in a box or smth. till u get enough to upgrade.:P

For a 300 buck budget i'd recommend a P4. They give you speed and a low price all in one package. Check http://www.newegg.com/ for some good deals. You can get a cheap case for 20 bucks, an intel motherboard for 60, a P4 2.4 ghz cpu for 130 or a celeron 2.4 ghz cup for 75, and a 512 stick of ram for 70. That should fit your budget nicely :P. Maybe you'll have some money left over.

I am still a student (high school) and I will never have enough money (until I get a good job) to buy a nice PC. That is why I am going through this trouble. I need to upgrade with the best stuff and the cheapest price possible.

I am still a student (high school) and I will never have enough money (until I get a good job) to buy a nice PC. That is why I am going through this trouble. I need to upgrade with the best stuff and the cheapest price possible.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Really here, newegg.com is your friend. Another place to go is http://www.pricewatch.com/

Or you can use froogle.

It helps to buy from one place if prices are similar because you usually get better shipping charges.

Also, whatever you do, don' buy cheap RAM. If you get a bad ram stick, your system will be useless.

You may also want to consider getting a new HD, and toning down the other components a bit.

You can probably find a 100gb disk for ~80 bucks these days.