xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Dementour

The Suffering A Twisted Playstation 2 game

I bought the Suffering a while back but havent played it until last night because ive been too busy trying to complete Headhunter Redemption because I hate putting down a game half way through it and start playing another one from fresh.The game is really good depending if you like your action adventure games, why would you be on this forum otherwise, and that you can handle its gory subject you go through. You go to prison, all for the right reasons (or are they) and as soon as you hit the cells the power goes out and all your cell mates around you are getting brutally butchered. Talk about being there at the right place at the right time! You manage to get out of your cell and basically the story is escaping from the maximum security prison from hordes of monsters as you wander through different sections, outdoor yards. The subplot however is finding out what really happened to your wife and child that you killed as you will get flash backs throughout the game.The voice acting is great, alot of swearing, f this and f that but if you can get through that if you dont get offensive easily. The violence in this is extreme, I would say its the same as Manhunt, if a little more gory. The detail to the environments and character design is great, not the best but better than a avaerage game. Theres plenty of characters good and bad on your survival adventure.You get pistols, spikes, shotguns... Havent gone any further to know what else you can get, im on chapter 4 at the moment. The main feature is not only do you have a life bar but a rage bar. When this rage bar gets full you can turn into a hideous beast with more strength and energy when your trapped by loads of monsters. The beats you have to kill are very imaginitive, alot more variety than Silent Hill and Resident Evil. Theres huge monsters with machine guns on their backs that shoot at you, monsters with needles coming out of their eyes and back which chase after you with one in each hand, monsters in stray jackets with huge razor claws etc.Like I said, if you can treat the subject of the game, the language and the violence maturally then you will enjoy this game. I will let you guys know how it is after I finish it which by the look of it should be one or two weeks depending on how much time I can get for it. It looks easy enough, but thats because I put it on easy ;)

I finally managed to complete it over a week ago! I ended up getting the good ending, which was little on the short side but helps with the story for the upcoming sequel. Apparantly theres 3 endings, the bad by not helping any of your prisoner inmates or guards that you encounter throughout the game, the good by helping them which gains you good points, or the monster ending if you morph into the monster one too many times. I never bothered trying again for the other endings, too much hard work :) But at least I will have some replay value off it in the future when I can be bothered to do it through again.It was surprisingly easy and on the short side to complete. I think there was 20 chapters altogether, some go on for a while when others wont take you that long at all. I would say for someone that didnt follow the walkthrough, as I had to to guarantee I would get the good ending, then it would take a average week to complete, if not then less.There was a variety of characters, let that be the monsters and the humans. In fact the voice acting and the dialogue was great which you could listen to them for ages rampting on about different things which gives them unique personalities which is very rare to find in games like this. The monsters were certainly creative, you couldnt compare not even one of them to other survival horror games which is certainly a good thing. Different types have different ways of trying to kill you, and when they do they each have their own 'finish him' kill moves.The bosses may look hard but their easier than what you think, some have a strategy which you need to use your brain in order to kill them, like the doctor which the only way you can kill is by finding and shooting hidden projectors. Others will only require running around and shooting at them.I suppose you could say there are 'puzzles' but they are the kind like handling cranes to small walls through or to push a vending machine at a drain so all the way that you released from a rooms sprinkler will not disappear but but out a fire thats blocking your only path. It isnt all just shooting and stabbing. The weapons range from shotguns, handguns, explosives of different kinds like grenades and tnt, and knives. Speaking of different paths you will have a choice of some, only some, chapters to go either long and dangerous routes which are easy to find or try to find a easier route with not so many enemies around.Overall this is a one hell of a game to entertain you, that is if you can be mature enough to handle its dark and very gory humour.