xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
amusedtoe

Help Networking Xbox What product should I go with?

I recently purchased myself an XBox, but now I find myself in a pickle trying to get it networked up without having to take it and set it by the router everytime I want to get on Live. The situation is that there's two phone jacks in the entire house, neither of which by where I desire the XBox to live, the router, Netgear WGR614v4, is hooked up to one and the computers all connect to it wirelessly. I'm done trying to figure out a way to get it to work without buying any more networking equipment, even though I still don't like paying $70 to $100, so I'd like your opinion as to what to use. Right now I'm really leaning towards the Netgear WGE111, which can be seen here. It's not as horribly priced as some of the other ones, and being Netgear I'm assuming far less likely to have problems with the router. Any thoughts on this, or any other hardware that will work?

Okay, your best bet is to buy a wireless bridge and connect it to the Xbox. That is also the easiest away. The WGE111 is the bridge I am talking about, and you'll be able to pick one up on eBay for about 20 bucks.

The only WGE111's on Ebay were almost $100. I had ordered one off Newegg earlier tonight for about $70, but I've since cancelled and go with the WRT54G router from Linksys instead since I've been informed that it can be set up to run as a wireless bridge. That and Newegg has a one day sale on it for $50 with free shipping which is almost $30 cheaper then the WGE111. Thanks for the help all.

Run a wire from the uplink spot in the router under or through your house to another hub (can purchase for around 15 bucks) right by your xbox. Then you can run it right to the hub and get on live!

Another option is that if you have your xbox near your computer, and have an extra NIC card that isnt being used on your computer, you should run a crossover cable from your xbox to your computer. You may need to run Windows Internet Connection Sharing though if it doesn't work right away. It is quick and easy to setup if you do anyways. There are some tutorials here for WinICS: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Wow, I didn't expect the bridges on eBay to be that expensive. I am going to be networking my Xbox soon (wirelessly) and I am going to try to get one... cheap... if you will. My friend got his bridge really cheap off eBay, and it is the exact same model.