xisto Community
Admiral Lyoko Samus

Nuclear Fusion The Eternal Energy

Ok, I'm not an environmentalist, but I strongly support the scientific community in Europe's determination to finding a more efficient energy source. I was browsing the web the other day and came upon an excellent description of a new fusion project that was started. The EFDA (European Fusion Development Agreement) has been supporting the JET (Joint European Torus) project.

This project has involves the use of a machine, called the "Tokamak," to start a stable and extremely efficient nuclear fusion reaction. As most here may know, fusion is the very same nuclear reaction that goes on in the stars and our Sol, yet some stars are gigantic in comparison to Earth and produce so much electromagnetic energy that it seems impossible for us to even examine them sufficiently. How can that much energy be contained?

To explain this, I must first describe the Tokamak's design. The Tokamak consists of an Iron Transformer Core (Magnetic Circuit), a Primary Transformer Circuit (Inner Polodial Field Coils), Toroidal Field Coils, and Outer Polodial Field Coils (to shape and position the contained plasma). The engineers that designed it have created an ingenius way to contain the hazardous reaction. By using a series of magnetic coils and other magnetic equipment, they can shape the plasma as well as nullify most of the radiation emitted by the reaction.

As for the energy output, we must go over what fuels are required. To start a successful reaction, there must be 1 element and 2 Hydrogen isotopes: Lithium, Deuterium, and Tritium. Deuterium is very abundant, considering it can be extracted from water, but Tritium is not made naturally; thus, the Lithium, which is also abundant in the Earth's crust. Now, take a taste of the power that can be generated: with only 10 grams of Deuterium (which can be acquired from 500 liters of water) and 15 grams of Tritium (produced from 30 grams of Lithium), you could create a lifetime of electricity for a person in an industrialized country.

Safety? The project is surprisingly safe for the type of reactions made. Due to the Tokamak's magnetic fields, most of the radiation created is nullified, relieving fears of radiation poisoning, and the requirements for a fusion reaction are so delicate, that it almost has a natural failsafe. If any contaminates enter the plasma or it goes below a certain temperature, the reaction almost immediately ceases.

As you can see, this project is definitely something worth looking into and supporting. All information was extracted from https://www.euro-fusion.org/ More information is provided, if you wish to explore the site, as well as brochures, historical documents of the organization, and information on basic fusion reactions.

I very much agree with you, It's time to find a new energy source. The problem with most proposed fusion reactors is that they end up consuming more energy than they put out. The advantages over the current fission reactors are very numerous, as well as being environmentally friendly.Cold fusion however is something to really look towards. Very little required energy and alot of output, it would revolutionize the world. Not only that, but it would enable us to put more powerful energy sources in smaller spaces, like a space shuttle for instance, and maybe power our way to new planets.For the moment, the scientific community should aim towards decreasing the reliance on fossil fuels.

I agree. Cold fusion is definitely something that would be much better, but for the moment, this seems like the easiest and least resource-consuming project.As for fossil fuels, I also agree. It's just a shame that our government has failed to except the inevitable yet. We are going to have to develope or force public transportation soon enough, unless we find better, more efficient, and cleaner fuels to use. Or we could always support a few teleportation theories. ;)

Nuclear power is just too dangerous. If we were actually able to handle/harness the power well then we wouldn't be having such nuclear explosions in the world. Even one across the world affects us in a way even though it may be little it will eventually be a lot.I am all over wind as a power source. Also the sun. They both are clean and such places that harness its power are just awesome to look at. Plus, who doesn't like a good, clean, power source. Some celebrities actually have solar panels on their roofs to pay lees on their bills.

Perhaps you missed my point here: Nuclear Fusion IS the power of the sun. The full power of it that can be harnessed at any time. Also, I'm almost positive that there is no way that it can be used as a weapon, let alone have any serious accidents, due to the very delicate conditions that have to be met for a successful fusion reaction as well as the uncanny weight of the Tokamak. I assure you that this form of nuclear energy is much safer than the now used Nuclear Fission reactors.

i think Space Orangutan #2 is gettin confused with fusion and fission.. this new thingy described here is not the same as in nuclear reactors around the world and in chernobyl and three mile island. infact it is just the opposite (okay nearly opposite) nuclear reaction.when the enery produced is contained, there is no danger whatsoever...no nuclear hazard, no nuclear waste, no genetic disorder, no nothing!!its a totally different thing.and hey, wind power is just not enough for all our needs. solar power is okay.. but has drawbacks... not much power is produced.. most costly per unit power... only works at daytime.. better at sunny days and so on... the same applies for wind power... not consistenthence nuclear fusion is the energy source for the future

Thank you for the clarification, amkint.

In any case, I agree with you as far as wind and solar power go. There just isn't a way to successfully and consistently harness that energy, though I'm sure you could create some sort of solar panels inside the Tokamak. I don't know why you would though. ;)

Here's something interesting to consider for those who would like to see more wind and solar power used:To utilize wind power, a vast number of windmills must be used. Where are we going to put them? No one wants them where they live, they always talk about "skyline pollution" affecting their view. Even if it is a clean, efficient source, I don't think it is feasible to run countries or even cities off of wind power.As for solar power, the sun's energy is captured using solar cells. If you ever look into the process of creating solar cells, you will find that it is very inefficient. It takes a large amount of fossil fuel to be burned in order to create a solar cell; in fact, burning the fossil fuel directly is more efficient than burning it to make solar cells.Even hydrogen fuel cells aren't efficient. Fossil fuels are burned in order to create a supply of hydrogen.So, aside from wind power and (debatably) fission, fossil fuels are actually some of the most efficient and cleanest energy sources we have.Hence, I do agree that fusion would revolutionize the energy industry; it's clean, it's efficient, and it yields an incredible amount of energy. This will inevitably be the next big breakthrough in energy, because, at the moment, we are stuck in a rut of inefficient and pollutive fuels.

Are there any researches going on (with moderate degree of success) in obtaining evergy by splitting up water ? That, I believe will be one of the richest and most plentiful source of energy if it ever comes to be. Think of it - we'll never be short of this kind of fuel. One of my associates who's been into years of research into producing Pure water with very high free electron content (which acts as an anti-oxidant and if the perfect balance can be achieved - actually would act as anti-ageing water) was briefing me about the process. I remember him mentioning, how quickly the room temperature around him would shoot up (in a matter of seconds) from around 0 degrees to over 30 degrees when he used his electron gun to shoot varying amounts of electron into purified water.. That sounded pretty interesting and promising.What do you say ?

If Nuclear Fusion is not an option, why do scientists still think of it that way then?After the fission idea, scientists wanted to be BIG, so they came up with the fusion idea. Its like profit and loss, Investing the energy into combining the metals then recieving a loss is definitely something that we would regret. What I'm saying here is that if the world kept relying on Fossil fuels as a reliable energy source, it would be depleted in a mere few years. So everyone after the depletion of fossil fuels, if another reliable energy source is not found yet, will go after the most reliable and renewable energy source of the Earth, the Sun.Would this result in the whole Earth people encasing their houses with solar panels? What are the consequences if people these days do not understand?

This is, what, the third time I've had to state this now? Nuclear fusion is the sun's energy. And,

As for solar power, the sun's energy is captured using solar cells. If you ever look into the process of creating solar cells, you will find that it is very inefficient. It takes a large amount of fossil fuel to be burned in order to create a solar cell; in fact, burning the fossil fuel directly is more efficient than burning it to make solar cells.

Nuclear fusion can stop the need to keep searching for a new energy supply for millenia to come! Why waste time trying to perfect something already extremely inefficient when there are natural and more powerful ways to attain energy? As for people not understanding, what's not to understand about a virtually limitless and inexpensive supply of energy? :P

terrestrial fusion reactors are potentially hazordous, there are so many cooler things to be done with oil then burn it, and we happen to orbit a great fusion reactor but we've got that pesky atmosphere and distance thing getting in the way. may i postulate an alternative?space elevators provide easy acess to space. space hasn't got any weather patterns that could sufficiently block solar panels that are in orbit aroudn earth. but why bother blotting out our skies killing animal and plant life on our planet?move the cells into and orbit similar to that of venuses, tons of energy to be had, and neglible effect on us. we use a laser to beam the energy back to us and we have a continuous energy supply using technology that we all have right now.

Perhaps I should just post every last bit of information on the site I provided. :| Anyway, the Tokamak has no atmosphere. Those are contaminates, which would make plasma impossible, so there isn't any worry there. So, before we have any more questions regarding, could we please visit the site first? That will usually tell you what you want to know. :wink:

however we get energy, regardless of nature, we're still creating tremendous amounts of power thus pottential boom on the earth. it's much more preferable to have any safety hazards off planet. and if we're moving the operation into space, we may as well just use the readily available fusion reactor we already have.