xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Shogi

Would You Play This? MMORPG idea

Well basically, the idea behind this is that the player would feel like its not just a preconstructed world that he/she is playing in, But one that they have a hand in building and it's outcome. Sci-Fi game, with a squad based element, ill explain more below.

Backstory

Basically the setting is in the future a few milennia on Earth, the year 4051 A.P. (Age of Peace) . For the last 900 years, the people of Earth have experienced global unity. There hasn't been a war or major violent conflict amogn humans in over a millenia, though the develoment of inter-stellar travel ahs led to more than a few with other planets. All of humanity has merged into one co-existing community. Poverty, crime, and most sickness has ended. Earth had become a Utopia. But as they say, "All good things must come to an end....."

Fifty years ago, contact with a new planet was made. People everywhere were excited with the contact, but things went bad. In a sign of good faith, the aliens traded with us technology that allowed us to manipulate genes. While some people embraced the technology, others shunend it, claiming it was playing God. Earth was divided. Now, 50 years later, the war is still raging. Because of the long period of peace, both sides were so evenly matched that niether side is capable of winning the war. The only way for either side to gain the upperhand is to hire mercenaries, a by product of the 50 years of fighting. The civil war has spread to several other Human inhabited worlds like mars and the moons of Saturn.

Enter the Player

You are a mercenary. Choose which side you fight for, or play both to gain wealth. Buy genetic enhancements to become more powerful. Your actions will decide the war. Choose wisely.

Some missions will pit players against players, depending on which side they work for.

In order to complete missions, players must band together and form a mercenary band. Mercenary bands can contsruct their own towns and run a local economy.

Features

-Permanent landscape damage: whatever you do will stay there.

-Triumph or fail: either side can lose the war on any one planet.

-join in huge open battles with thousands of other people all at once.

I'm sure theres more in my head somewhere, tell me what you think.

the aliens traded with us technology that allowed us to manipulate genes.  While some people embraced the technology, others shunend it, claiming it was playing God. Earth was divided.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hrm ...

Interesting premise although I have one question. For those who oppose manipulated genes, would they hire mercenaries who practice that for which they fight against?

cheers

hashbang

well i dont have any plans to make it yet, hopefully though when i make my way into the game industry, id hope to make it a full scale MMORPG.@hashbang: heheh good point, but after 50 years of fighting to no apparent gain, would you really care who you hire?

Amazing Idea, though the permadamage, don't know how well that would work if say, someone blew up the only weapons store in the city! Though if youve played mercinaries, they use a simular idea that works really well. Either way I'd play, though I usually wont pay to play online so I'm not 100% sure on that aspect. Good luck, and I be waiting for this game!

Amazing Idea, though the permadamage, don't know how well that would work if say, someone blew up the only weapons store in the city!  Though if youve played mercinaries, they use a simular idea that works really well.  Either way I'd play, though I usually wont pay to play online so I'm not 100% sure on that aspect.  Good luck, and I be waiting for this game!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Certain areas would be safe zones where no weapons are allowed to be used.

It depends on what type it would be. If it was first-person, I would definitely play and love it. It you saw yourself walking around, but the camera stays with your and you can view from different angles, i'd give it a try. If it was like, a view from above, I'd play it if the gameplay was very good.I might suggest starting over every two months or so... that way no-one can get SOOOO far ahead that nobody else even stands a chance of becoming the best.

Perma damage is something I'd like to see in a game; kinda like red faction, but more detailed. I would play it. I think there should be no safe zones, but let players with lots of money become weapons dealers and have construction options to make buildings. Don't start it over, but don't be traditional. Have weapon skill mostly preset, and have a few different classes, I.e. Heavy weapons, sniper, medic; but make individual skills random within limits. Also, players could change classes, but it would take training and 1-3 days real time. If the skills don't build up much, no one can get too far ahead, that way if you joined later/ weren't able to play for a while, you wouldn't be behind. Plus, nobody WANTS to pay to play, so if you could, free playing would be nice. Overhead gta style would be too lacking on detail, but first person would be limited. I would def. Play it.That's my input.PeaceAaron

As stated before by so many, the permanent damage concept would be interesting. However, you should be able to also repair damage done by others, depending on what kind of damage they've done. ;;>_> And, well, not having safe zones would be interesting to watch and play in, but it might frustrate players trying to maintain law and order. Just something for you to ponder.Yes, I'd love to beta this game. So what're you planning to program this in? And will this be a SWG-type thing? O_o

This would take an MGS3 style approch with the default view being like the typical mmorpg view, but a button will toggle between first and third, that way when youre running long distances you have a less restricted view so you can look at the sceneery but have the crosshair you need for that hardcore FPS fighting that would happen.Well, the problem with having no safe zones and leaving shops up to other palyers is that firstly, noobs would get punished severly when they start out, and it would also be hard to find a store, because you would have no idea where the player is set up, and wether or not their prices are fair. Basically theres a level of organization that would have to happen in order for the game to go smoothly and people not to get frustrated.At the start of the game, you would choose 2 concentrations for your character:-Weapon : will determine your weapon specialty (heavy weapons, rifles etc.)-Physical : determines what kind of physical stats you have (emphasis on power, speed etc.). Your class would be determined at level 10 or so based on your skill tree and your concentrations. Everyone starts out at level one on the same skill tree. depending on which way you go in that skill tree and what concentration you chose, you may end up in different classes. for instance if i focus on rifles, speed, and i choose support skills in my skill tree, ill end up as a sniper. if i focus on power ill be a soldier. once your class is determined, its difficult but not impossible to change classes.Class ideas:SoldierSniperGrenadierEngineerSpy/AssassinPilotPilot you say? well yes, pilots can drive any number of vehicles, flying driving, aquatic. all players can drive regular vehicles, but pilots will have access to the combat vehicles.Instead of starting over every month or so, as stated above, each human occupied planet can be won or lost by either side. When one side loses, that whole planet essentially becomes one big safe zone, most missions will end, and players can then travel to another unconquered planet to continue (for a hefty price though, that way starting over is encouraged). Each planet will have unique missions and settings. The conquered worlds dont just become big boring rocks though. players can cause the fighting to start up again through several difficult missions to reignite the war. so i could log off at 10 pm after winning the planet, wake up and log on again in the morning to find out the war started again. =Deventually mayeb through the realease of expansion packs, alien races could get pulled into this war.@ lacking imagination: as stated in my first post, players will have the ability to build their opwn towns, and if they weant repair damaged ones.@shaldengeki: ive never played SWG =P

Sounds very interesting. Let me get this straight though. The war started because of the "aliens" teaching us advanced technology with manipulating genes? All in all I would be up for it. Has a good story and background that can be built upon as you said with expansions.

hehe glad to hear it, maybe after college i can start up an indy game company and pitch this idea to a major developer. hopefully.On the subject of a title for the game, I'm thinking something alone the lines of EarthSplice seeing how the world is divied over things like gene splicing.@minnieadkins: yeah that right, but I'm not definite on that. tbh, its quite hokey, and as someone brought up before, why would the non-gene modifiers hire out to modified mercenaries? I 'll have to rework that part.