xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
banjosforpeace

Any Minidisc Users Out There ? What kind of gear do you use?

Are there any Minidisc users out there? I'm specifically looking for those experienced in live audio recording. What MD, microphone, headphones, etc. are you using? Any additional equipment? Do you have any tips for getting a good recording?I'm using a Sony MZ-N707 and a small stereo condenser mic. The mic is really sensitive so the signal sizzles a bit at high pressures even when the recording volume is down.Also, is there any third party MD software out there? I only have the Sony software and it doesn't seem so great.Thanks! ;)I really would like to hear from Minidisc users about this. I have a music archiving project in the works and I need better results than what I have so far.Here's an update:I've learned that the Sony MD (or only the software; I'm not certain) I am using will not let me digitally transfer the live audio I record using the USB cable. If it is the MD, then I will be forced to line-in and manually create .wav files. If it is only the software and I can find other software that will allow me to do the transfer, I would be most happy.Thanks for anyone's help! ;)

Edited by microscopic^earthling (see edit history)

Are there any Minidisc users out there? I'm specifically looking for those experienced in live audio recording. What MD, microphone, headphones, etc. are you using? Any additional equipment? Do you have any tips for getting a good recording?

I'm using a Sony MZ-N707 and a small stereo condenser mic. The mic is really sensitive so the signal sizzles a bit at high pressures even when the recording volume is down.

Also, is there any third party MD software out there? I only have the Sony software and it doesn't seem so great.

Thanks! :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi there, i used minidisc recoring for our techno partys here in portugal with pretty good quality recording. I use an old sony mz-r30 as recorder. But first i go trough my pioneer mixer (DJM-500) for the sound. The mixer helps alot to increase the quality of the recording and also to keep the recording levels right. You don´t want any clipping on the md. It also helps to use a compressor after the signal comes out from the mixer

Hope i could help you a bit...

Hi there, i used minidisc recoring for our techno partys here in portugal with pretty good quality recording. I use an old sony mz-r30 as recorder. But first i go trough my pioneer mixer (DJM-500) for the sound. The mixer helps alot to increase the quality of the recording and also to keep the recording levels right. You don´t want any clipping on the md. It also helps to use a compressor after the signal comes out from the mixer

Hope i could help you a bit...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the repsonse, blix.

When you use the MD, do you set the Record Volume manually or is it set automatically? Which outputs from the DJM-500 do you line out from? Were you mixing mics, instruments, and/or samplers/cd players down to the MD? :P

hi, I have used minidisc equipment a couple of times. Whenever I did use it, I used a Sony MZ-N1 and a Sony ECM-MS907 Stereo Microphone. I highly recommend this microphone as it sounds great. I too was disappointed with the fact that you can't use a usb input with the minidisc player, but manually recording the tracks into your computer isn't terrible, provided you have a decent recording program on your computer. I recommend soundforge. I don't know what else to say, but good luck with your future minidisc use!

hi, I have used minidisc equipment a couple of times. Whenever I did use it, I used a Sony MZ-N1 and a Sony ECM-MS907 Stereo Microphone. I highly recommend this microphone as it sounds great. I too was disappointed with the fact that you can't use a usb input with the minidisc player, but manually recording the tracks into your computer isn't terrible, provided you have a decent recording program on your computer. I recommend soundforge. I don't know what else to say, but good luck with your future minidisc use!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Those ECM-MS907 mics are really nice! I'm on the lookout for one of those.

There must be some sort of way to get around the USB transfer issue, either with software or by some means. I've been transferring them manually, as well but I would prefer to do it all digitally if possible. I'm still looking for input on an alternative method.

Thanks for the reply, thatyou! :rolleyes:

I've learned that the Sony MD (or only the software; I'm not certain) I am using will not let me digitally transfer the live audio I record using the USB cable. If it is the MD, then I will be forced to line-in and manually create .wav files. If it is only the software and I can find other software that will allow me to do the transfer, I would be most happy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is the case with the Net MD players such as your model, the new Hi-MD models do not have this restriction and you can indeed record analoguely onto the minidisc and then digitally transfer this to the PC via the USB cable.

Thanks for the repsonse, blix.

When you use the MD, do you set the Record Volume manually or is it set automatically? Which outputs from the DJM-500 do you line out from? Were you mixing mics, instruments, and/or samplers/cd players down to the MD?  :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi, of course you have to set the recording volume manually. On the DJM-500 you have got serval options: it´s booth, phono out, xlr and jack out. for best result with recording you should use the booth out because you can change the output signal wich goes to the minidisk without changing the volume wich goes to the pa. All hardware (minidisk, turntables etc. you connect to the mixer, it will give you much more flexebility in mixing and eq. If you use instruments like keyboards, drummachines etc. it´s best you connect the first to a pa mixer and then connect the output sum to the md/djmixer

If you need more help, just pm me

i have one of those net models.i'm quite dissapointed. mp3 support... rrrright. all your mp3's are converted to their attrac format, which i kinda dislike.recording... no digital copying afterwards. sucky. no mic in but a line in, you need a self-feeding mic.anyway, i'd never buy one again, although the battery lasts long and the quality is good, it lacks recording support.

i have one of those net models.

i'm quite dissapointed.

mp3 support... rrrright. all your mp3's are converted to their attrac format, which i kinda dislike.

recording... no digital copying afterwards. sucky. no mic in but a line in, you need a self-feeding mic.

anyway, i'd never buy one again, although the battery lasts long and the quality is good, it lacks recording support.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is what I'm finding. The 707 seemed good at first but now seems to be lacking. Right now it is barely serving its initial purpose. Any recommendations on any MD model you can get for under $150 that will really do a taper-quality job? :P

This is what I'm finding. The 707 seemed good at first but now seems to be lacking. Right now it is barely serving its initial purpose. Any recommendations on any MD model you can get for under $150 that will really do a taper-quality job?  :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I used that md-deck sony came out with like five years ago, its for in car use, records off the radio, mdx-800 or something, I used to be really into electronics, now im kinda out of touch. its a pretty cool deck if you like md's but I crashed my car a while ago so it's pretty much useless to me now.