xisto Community
Xeon

Bittorrent!

For those of you who used bittorrent and used LokiTorrent, the MPAA just got ahold of their server logs. If you go to lokitorrent now you will see a....message(read:Fascist threat) from the MPAA to downloaders. Anyway, just a heads up to you guys.

Bittorent is great ...i only keep download 24 h in my pc... :P it's illegal after that..Ok i have used Azherus, Bitcomet and BitTornado I finde Azherus to use too much memory (it's made in JAVA) and sometimes it freezes ,maybe from me, BitComet is really "uncomfortable" 4 me.so i STRONGLY RECOMED BITTORNADO !!:P

I use azureus, but BT is not as good as it was like a year a go... Many sites are down, only the closed communities are still alive. I still use it fo 0 day releases, but its DC++ al the way for older things

I just tried Azureus. Its a very nice client and pretty comprehensive feature-wise. The features seem to be pretty well designed and it seems like a polished client. It might take a bit for ABC to catch up with the features of Azureus. The only thing is that Azureus currently doesn't support dynamic piece-wise allocation for downloading files like the python clients do as stated here, so it has to allocate space first when downloading a file. For some reason the program also slows down my system pretty significantly. Also, the program has to use Java Runtime to run, as I would prefer a standalone program. But otherwise, its a really nice client and it also has some really neat features like a built in tracker and the ability to create new torrents and serve them on the web.

I also might try BitComet, as its written in C so it might have lower CPU usage and faster performance.

This is also a pretty good site for news on bittorrent: BitTorrent News.

I originally used the generic BitTorrent, then I switched to ABC(Yet another Bittorrent Client), then finally got contented with BitTornado. :P

I've tried using Bit Torrent for some of my movies I wanted to host because someone I knew had done it. I tried, and tried, but I just don't get it. It's too complicated for me. I'm not like some obbsessive computer guy that just sits there and figures things out. If anyone has a VERY SIMPLE way of explaining how to host on Bit Torrent, please tell me. Thanks

I've tried using Bit Torrent for some of my movies I wanted to host because someone I knew had done it. I tried, and tried, but I just don't get it. It's too complicated for me. I'm not like some obbsessive computer guy that just sits there and figures things out. If anyone has a VERY SIMPLE way of explaining how to host on Bit Torrent, please tell me. Thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's quite simple really. First thing you do is make a torrent file out of the file/folder you want to share.. I assume you've already done that though using MakeTorrent. You then upload your torrent file to a tracker site... I used to use demonoid.com and lokitorrent.com ... but they have since been shut down, so I have no suggestions on which tracker to go with. Then as soon as it is in the pool (this will depend on how often the tracker refreshes it's pool, but it shouldn't take any more than 5 minutes) you can open you torrent file as if you were going to download it, and just wait for people to start uploading. Like everything else BitTorrent, this usually starts off pretty slowly, but just wait a while and you'll see how quick things start going.

Good luck, hope you get it working.

i use ABC (another bittorrent client) its really faster downloading through this. you have complete control over your stuff qhile your downloading. you can pause, tell how much to upload from your downloads, add a list of downloads to a queue at once so you can leave it and download it all. really good i would recommend this. this is the second client i used so if theres any better ones really to download. i would like to try it. thanks