xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Space Orangutan #2

Mac Mini Will it convert Windows users?

Apple MAC Mini

It seems like a good  thing. The basic config. is only $499 and most of the stuf one would add is already in it. But just like a few other macs, it seems very hard to upgrade if not impossible.

Would it's low price bring more people into view of macs or will it not sell much at all?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

According to the news, it is selling faster than apple can make them.

Me too! I want to upgrade from my slooow iBook. The mini does have a good price, but I think anyone, unless they only did word prosses and email or something, would probably need more RAM than what comes with the base model. I would say at least an extra 256 MB, which adds an extra $70. Other than that, the mini is a great machine!

it's great and all ... but it still lacks software comptability .. like linux for the IBMs .... or at least they dont get released first ... you have to wait in line ... and eventualy gets canceled ... tho I really wish to try the MAC ... but for $500 I could get an extra cool upgrade for my pc : $500 = 3000 LE .. that can get me : AthlonXP 3000+ Suitable Top Notch Motherboard 512 DDR3100 Ram ATi Radeon 9200 or a GeforceFX 5200 128 DDRfor my P3 1ghz pc .. taht would be awesome

I would get one, if not for two reasons:1) I've been thinking about converting my laptop to Linux, so... yeah. Learning to use that will take up most of my time and resources. Plus, I don't really need another computer, though it would be nice.2) Yeah, the upgradability problem is haunting me even now. ;;>_> I really need more RAM, and a better gfx card, and... tons of stuff, but my current laptop doesn't allow for that. I'm not sure I'd want to go through all that again.

$499 plus is not that great of a deal these days. If you have any kind of decent pc then you can upgrade to out perform the mac mini fairly easily. If it came with a LCD then maybe, but other wise it is just another Compaq computer!

$499 plus is not that great of a deal these days.  If you have any kind of decent pc then you can upgrade to out perform the mac mini fairly easily.  If it came with a LCD then maybe, but other wise it is just another Compaq computer!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You can upgrade a computer for that amount of money, but it won't be silent and small, which is usefull for some people. It also won't run OSX, which for me is worth a lot more than pure processing speed.

That being said, APlle really needs to up the memory in these machines to 512. OSX simply needs that much, and people buying the 'base system' will get something that won't perform nearly as well as it would with that extra ram. It might even turn people off, which would be sad, considering how awesome OSX is.

As for expandability, USB2 and Firewire are really all you need, and it has both. Its been a long long time since I have had to pop open my PC case anyway.

I think it will. It's small but extremely powerful, and heck of a lotta bang for the buck. I'd like one, but I'd need $500 bucks for that. I could share my monotor with it, but I'd need a USB keyboard and mouse, which could replace my current ones...if I do ever get one, I'd probably get them from Logitech. :P

Anyway, before you get people to buy one, there's one problem: people think Macs are these slow things running OS 7 or 8, because those are the only ones they've ever used (because that's what most schools with Macs have). People need to get into an Apple Store and try OS X.

Anyway, I think Apple should introduce a nice lil' laptop for $799. I'm thinking a 12" like the base model iBook G4, but without all the bells and whistles, maybe having the combo drive as an upgrade, not standard equipment...I'd buy one. :P

:while typings on g4 ibook: of course i think the mac mini will help out apple. i see kids walking down the halls in my school with ipods all the time. and i'm sure they'd jump on an opurtunity to get a good mac comp for cheap.and in terms of power for $. well, i've got this plan o mine. if someone were to give me 5000$ to make them the best computer i can, i'd get 9 mac mini's, a moderate LCD screen and keyboard and mouse, and some beowulf programs. and just network um all. i'm not too tech savvy, but i think that would work well, right?

I went to the mac store and I looked at the mac mini. It's a cool little computer, but like others have said, they will be almost impossible to upgrade. I like OSX, but as far as I know, HL2 hasn't come out on the mac yet. And even if it did, the mac mini probally couldn't run it. I'll stick with my Windows XP for now. I just poured 500 bucks into it, and I'd hate to part with it.(hugs computer) :P

I have heard that you cannot upgrade a Mac. I really want one of those. Right now, I have a 450 MHz Windows computer that I will use till I get money for a new one. I don't use this computer for much... just schoolwork and such. I think the Mac Mini is grabbing the attention of Windows users... it sure as hell grabbed mine. I had my homepage as CNET and it was a video on there, so I checked it out. I watched the review and I was thinking of the price. I saw "$497" and my eyes just popped open. Why is Mac offering their machines at such cheap prices? Is this just a technique to grab the attention of Windows users? I think it is...