xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
kevlar557

My New Computer: What Do You Think? Ok, mabye it isnt so new, but...

Aspire X-Dominator with four 80mm fans(2 rear, 1 front, 1 top) one 120mm side fan(perfect for OC'd GPU), 500 watt Aspire see-through ps; Abit VT7 mobo with the sweet south bridge heat sink; P4 2.6 HT that I stole from my old Gateway( I told you it wasn't that new); Zalman CNPS 7000B-AlCu LED processor heat sink(can't get the LED to work). 80 gig WD hard drive that I also salvaged from my Gateway; BBA 9800 pro 256 mb; 512 mb dual channel DDR; More lights than a Christmas tree(came with fans). It is going to be featured in my school newspaper(no clue why, it's not that good...), and I will try to get it up for my sig. What do ya'll think?

well a see through ps isnt good for prevention of EMI , and grats for it being featured in ur sch newspaper.BBA 9800 PRO 256mb? why didnt get the 128mb version? 256 mb for 9800 pro means more memory latency and yes not so good.and nice HSF over there.how about a change of mobo to is7e or IC7?and if the 2.6HT isnt locked by default from gateway... i think u could try hitting a high score and then post benchmarks haha.add another 512mb ram good idea too.

i remember the bood old day when things were made of metal...ram / databus isnt shilded againsed electro magnetic interfereance, so metal cases portected your pc from rafio waves...even the fans motors are build in a complicated way to prevent EMI output.Now, they make cases out of plastic, and put very strong sources of electro magnetic interfereance insde the case in forms of Neon Lights.i had a friend who had problems with artifacts apearing on screen duureing game play, and a few random crashes. turned off the neon lights (especially the one built onto the GPU fan) and all was well with the world ;)Sounds impressive though... i hope those are variable speed fans.. or you will have a bit of a wind tunnel in terams of noise :Pgot any benchmarks / bogomips value on the CPU ???am 64bit AMD 3400+ scores 4767.74 bogomips ;)

I want to overclock the processor, but I'm stupid and I dont know how to do it. I read the Overclocking Basics on this forum, but that is pretty much for a AMD. Does anyone have instructions to overclock my processor with the motherboard I have? BTW, the newspaper reporters didn't want to waste their time on " The Mod of the Month", although the editor wanted to do it.

What kind of benchmarking program should I use? I used 3Dmark01, and i got a measly score of 10772(i know its wrong, i scored 15294 when I benched my friends exact same machine) Anyway, tell me what to download, and I'll get the scores up.

Does your motherboard support Overclocking in the Bios ???if not, get your soldering iron out, its not enough to increace clock rates, you also need to incrace volatages.i always recomend overclocking, especially Pentium 4's they run hot enough as it is.Why significantly shorten your hardware reliability and life for the sake of half a second boot time, or an extra half frame per second in doom3.whats your current clock rate, and what clock rate are you aiming for ???

I overclocked it last night. I got 2000 more points on 3Dmark01, with it overclocked to 3 gig. I'm running Prime95 on it right now at 3.13 gig.(I'm at school; Being in the computer lab for homeroom is sweet) Anyway, my fsb is 240(max is 255 on mobo). It's really easy to oc on my abit vt7. I'll post the results when i get home(hopefully my processor won't be fried) ;)

What kind of benchmarking program should I use? I used 3Dmark01, and i got a measly score of 10772(i know its wrong, i scored 15294 when I benched my friends exact same machine) Anyway, tell me what to download, and I'll get the scores up.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

use aquamark, it tests whole the system instead of concentrating on the graphics card like 3Dmark... Superpi is nice too ;)

use aquamark, it tests whole the system instead of concentrating on the graphics card like 3Dmark... Superpi is nice too ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just got done with Aquamark3 this morning, and I got a score of 45273 with no AA and 4AF, 1024x768 resolution. Is that a good score?