xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG

Installation: Local Caching Dns In Linux Any Linux Gurus out there ???

Hi all, BIND is already installed on my server (am using Fedora Core 2) - can anyone help me in setting up the DNS Zones and configuring the named.conf - preferrbaly the NON-GUI way ?? I'm more comfortable with the console and vi way. I've tried in uncountable ways and all it has given me are uncountable bad hair days... :) Thanks

Hi all,

BIND is already installed on my server (am using Fedora Core 2) - can anyone help me in setting up the DNS Zones and configuring the named.conf - preferrbaly the NON-GUI way ?? I'm more comfortable with the console and vi way. I've tried in uncountable ways and all it has given me are uncountable bad hair days... :)

Thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The named.conf file should already exist right? I don't think we alter this at all but I'll check in it later and see if I made any changes to this, I believe we create /etc/named.local although this file may already have existed too and we alter our /etc/resolv.conf file, I definitely know this file was always there.

Anyways here's a link that should help you and probably would correct myself too. http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

MC

Ya - named.conf exists, so dose resolv.conf and the named.local too...Let me tell you what I did step by step:1. First ran rndc_config_gen to generate the rndc keys2. included the generated key in the named.conf file and for say my own domain, xxx - created a zone in named.confzone "ns1.xxx" { type master; file "/var/named/ns1.xxx.db";}; and a reverse zonezone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" IN { type master; file "named.local"; allow-update { none; };};3. Modified the file /var/named/ns1.xxx.db to contain:$TTL somevalue;ns1.xxx. 14400 IN A myServerIPlocalhost. ns1.xxx 14400 IN A 127.0.0.1 - umm.. after that I kind got lost and saved he file and tried to do nslookup/dig on my domain .... didn't quite work out. I'll go through the page you posted and let you know... It'll be quite helpful though, if you can give me a sample of your named.conf, resolv.conf and the zone file and your domain name - maybe I can go through the params and figure out what to do...Thanks :)

All right - problem solved. Don't bother any more. I figured it out today after a loooong session of tweaking around with the values. Maybe I'll chalk up a tutorial on it. Thanks all the same...:)P.S. - Ya - I went ahead and wrote up a tutorial on it - it's posted in the Howto's section now. Have fun.