xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG

Subforums For Linux & Windows Separate forums under Operating Systems

Its a great idea, but getting people to follow it will be hard,every week or so, someone starts a new thread called "windows vs linux"even when there are already sever threads of that same name.

So where would the split go?

Microsoft

Mac

*nix flavors

how detailed should it be? Give me some suggestions on the options.

Leave the Main OS forum for general questions polls and subforums for detail.

Nils

I think that this would be a good idea, still leaving the open OS forum for the usual Windows Vs Linux threads (come on they do seem to spark debate even after the 15th one!). it would certainly allow more concentrated disscussion.

There should be a sub forum for argueing / discussing / compareing Operating systems.Leave the Operating system forum for Questions and answers.Some popele have a real question about a specific OS, they post here, then before you know it, there poost has gone out of view, with several.. is "X better than Y" theads.Discussing and compareing is bood, but people looking for answers should come first.Questions Like "How do i protect myself againsed SMURF attacks on solaris 10" should be in the Operating systems section...Threads Like "What do your prefere, MacOSX or FreeBSD or Linux, or windows" should go into a sub forum, just so they dont clutter up the forum for poor mr SMURFED-to-deathJust my opinion.

I think that this would be a good idea, still leaving the open OS forum for the usual Windows Vs Linux threads (come on they do seem to spark debate even after the 15th one!). it would certainly allow more concentrated disscussion.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How do you suggest it to be split up?

There should be a sub forum for argueing / discussing / compareing Operating systems.

Leave the Operating system forum for Questions and answers.

Some popele have a real question about a specific OS, they post here, then before you know it, there poost has gone out of view, with several.. is "X better than Y" theads.

Discussing and compareing is bood, but people looking for answers should come first.

Questions Like "How do i protect myself againsed SMURF attacks on solaris 10"  should be in the Operating systems section...

Threads Like "What do your prefere, MacOSX or FreeBSD or Linux, or windows" should go into a sub forum, just so they dont clutter up the forum for poor mr SMURFED-to-death

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OK so keep the Original forum for generic questions and the smurf part would go in the main forum.

Subforum for each OS or group of OS's (or a single subforum) explain what you thoughts are? It was not clear to me what you ment.

Subforum for "What do you..." open for all issues, discussions, anecdotes and misc.

Is this correct?

Nils

i meant a sub-forum for opinions / discussions / arguments on why Linux us better than windows.for example the following topis..Windows vs LinuxMac vs WindowsMac vs LinuxWhich is the best Operating systemMacOS or Linux for College class'LINUX !!!all the abouve threads may have different titles.. but inside them they all have the same thing...Linux users talking about linux superiocity because of securety...Mac users talking about userfriendlynessWindows talking about how linux is too hard for them...same thing.. over and over and over and over.and while ive had som good discussions on those type of threads, i think it would be nice if they were seperate from threads like...Digital Camera AdviceBrowser TestAGV: computer killer ?Virtual MachinesiPod linuxam i explaining any better ???

am i explaining any better ???

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yup, it's clear as mud. ;)

So keep the main forum the way it is!

M$ Os's

Mac Flavors

*nix Os's

OS Wars....

Then the Camera should be a separate subforum somewhere (logic say it's not an OS - as far as I know)

AVG computer killer is OK in the original forum.

Browser tests/browser discussions should be It's own forum "browsers"

ipod linux - in Linux (*nix forum or the original forum)

Virtual machines in the original forum

If it's split up to much then it will be quiet in some of the forums.

Broad outline first then it can be tuned as the need arise.

Nils

With all those wonderful posts at the Howtos and Tutorial Section, I and NilsC have decided to break that forum into seperate Sub-forums which will allow us to better categorise the forums. And they are viewed by as many people as it can attract. Many tutorials are fading out because of the new ones which posted. Categorising will help it to stay longer on the charts. Also, once this is done, We are planning to create a seperate HTML page which will be linking directly to these topics and posts.We are still working on it and we would definately like to hear your thoughts and ideas regarding it.Regards,OpaQue

This is just to add my thoughts to OpaQues post

This may seem repetitive, but it's just to add emphasis to the subject at hand ;)

Since we have so many "Good" and "Excellent" tutorials it would be an incentive to the creators if we categorize them by creating subcategories for the different topics.

We started with a new sub-forum “OS” and in there we have the first subcategory “windows”.

The task at hand is to plan this with the help of you, the users whom are viewing and posting here. What are the main and subcategories. This need to be structured so finding a tutorial will be an easy task. New subcategories can and will be added as need arises. Forums and topics will be user driven and open to suggestions (including a dedicated forum to ask for a specific tutorial)

This will allow credit to the tutorial creators and a way to say thank you for the effort extended. Anyone who takes the time to create something original will be recognized and due credit for that post can be applied.

So put on your thinking caps and give us some creative solutions.

Nils

Clear as mud ayyyy ?Surely you can see the difference betweem the real questions in OS forum, and the Linux vs Everything else arguments that have no answer.. just opinion.just my opinion... you mods and admins can do whatever you like..i just thought Microscopic^Earthling had a good idea.

for example the following topis..

Windows vs Linux

Mac vs Windows

Mac vs Linux

Which is the best Operating system

MacOS or Linux for College class'

LINUX !!!

Digital Camera Advice

Browser Test

AGV: computer killer ?

Virtual Machines

iPod linux

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What I tried to get at, are the preceding (Quote) are "topics" that should be placed in appropriate "forums". I'm looking for suggestions in breaking down "What new forums are needed" then we'll put our topics in them. The OS Wars... was a suggestion for a subforum in OS that all the:

Mac vs Windows

Mac vs Linux

Which is the best Operating system

and others could go into.

Clear as mud ayyyy ?

Surely you can see the difference betweem the real questions in OS forum, and the Linux vs Everything else arguments that have no answer.. just opinion.

just my opinion... you mods and admins can do whatever you like..

i just thought Microscopic^Earthling had a good idea.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OK, I should have left out the joke "clear as mud". I'm looking for forum names not "topics" to put inside the forums. This are great topics, but I asked for forum names ;) (Am I clear as mud now ;) )

So, I'm looking for the outline (broad strokes) that can be used to setup the new forums, then we can refine and narrow it down. To many subforums is just as bad as not enough.

Thank you

Yeah okay i understand...