xisto Community
lasto i glemyr

Carbon Nanotubes Will they shape the future of computers?

this sounds really neat, I do think that if the prices went down enough they could definitly revolutionize technology. I would definitly buy a screen I could roll up and pin on the wall too ;). This sound very neat, I hope that they become available to the public soon.

not only that, imagine you could wear them..I mean you could wear a tv screen..imagine going to the mall and looking por a panth that has a screen on the knees, connecting it to a ipod sized cpu, and walla you have your wear able computer..Gosh this idea really roks me...or glasses,,with some kind of sensors...or autos with a windscreen that will show everything including your computer desktop..Simply amazing.I am sure for now price is still an issue,,but remember flat screens,,they were very expensive some years ago,,now they are very affordable..I think that will repeat with this nanotubes..I hope so..

carbon nanotubes is the breakthrough that computers need i personally think we have reached the peak of circuts, not to bad mouth them they have done great so far but i just think we are reaching then end.. and i agree with those that talked about the heat, being so close to a superconductor the heat output would be great, but they are researching different things that have to do with heat reduction...but imagine carbon nanotubes submerged in a non conductive,heat absorb gel that transfers the heat into energy for the other things, the possibliltys are endless... but that is just my opinion.

I agree the problem is pricing. As far as heat is concerned If it is a true superconductor heat would not be aproblem. It would not need any cooling because superconductors do not generate heat. In our currentprocessors it is the resistance in silicon that causes electrons to bump into each other creating friction thatproduces heat. When electricity passes through a superconductor there is no resistance and electrons followone after the other without bumping into anything. That means that there would not need to be any sort ofcooling devices at all.However, this is the first I have heard of a superconductor that is able to run at room temperature. As far asI knew the only way to create a true superconductor is to cool a piece of copper or conductive material tosomething like -468 degrees and keep it there which is only done by submerging it in liquid nitrogen.Building computers with that process would be extremely dangerous since you would basically have a tickingbomb sitting under your desk. On a hot day the nitrogen could heat up and then electricity passing through itwould set off a massive explosion in someones home, office or lap. Also the tubes carrying the nitrogen couldbreak releasing the gas into the air where an unsuspecting user is caught smoking his last cigarette.I think that this could be a very promising technology if the price is reasonable.