xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
thatguycalledrob

Digital Camera Advice Looking for some advice on a digi-cam

So I've been thinking about it for a while and I'm pretty dead set on getting a camera this month. I've done a little research http://www.steves-digicams.com/ and their buying guide http://www.shopping.com/digital-camenkin-id/3053120/products?sb=1 and I've pretty much settled on the Konica Minolta S414. My budget says I'll have about 250 to spend and I can pick up one of these with a memory card, neck strap, case, 1yr warranty for about 270. I like the high optical zoom, and the good megapixels for the money.

Anyone who knows a thing or two about cameras have any good advice on this?

Wow that's actually really good value. I have a value-for-pixels camera too. It's called KODAK Easyshare CX7530 which has 5 million pixels and 4x optical zoom, which is in my opinion a very underrated feautre of a camera. It is around 250-300 dollars and that is very very cheap for a 5 million pixels camera.

Also it's a good idea to use cameras which use AA or AAA batteries because often when you're on the road in a place where you're not going to be able to charge your battery pack, so it's much more efficient and convenient to buy a camera which uses batteries directly, although they die quickly unless you buy good quality rechargable ones.

I tend to like my rechargable battery that came with my Nikon Coolpix. I may have to recharge it, but it last for laround 60-70 pics. That is plenty for me. That wont even fill up my memory card. Im just glad I dont have to keep buying batteries. It only takes a couple of hours to charge anyway.

I am using Panasonic FZ-20 , it 12x optical zoom is the most attractive .however , it cost around 500 , it is over your budget .... >.<Konica Minolta S414 also a good digital camera . my friend using this and the photo quality is not bad .

Also it's a good idea to use cameras which use AA or AAA batteries because often when you're on the road in a place where you're not going to be able to charge your battery pack, so it's much more efficient and convenient to buy a camera which uses batteries directly, although they die quickly unless you buy good quality rechargable ones.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd definitely advise otherwise. A rechargable battery does a much better job (lasts longer, so you can take more pictures on a full battery) and doesn't cost you anything. And if you're worried about running out of battery power when you go away, you can always buy a bigger back up battery. That might cost a bit much... but it's only a one off purchase, unlike disposable batteries that you have to keep buying constantly.

And you said it's more convenient to be able to buy more batteries from anywhere whenever you need them. Well I say it's more convenient to always have the battery on you, and when it needs charging all you have to do is plug it in. I don't want to be going out to the shops to buy batteries every time my batteries go flat.

I guess it all comes down to your own preference... but I'd definitely suggest a rechargable battery type camera.