xisto Community
OpaQue

Spellings Are Not Important. Our mind reads words as a whole.

cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at

Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer inwaht oredr the ltteers in a

wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer

be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll

raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not

raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?

yaeh and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt!

I think that EPXLINS it all.. :angry:

It still doesn't mean that spelling isn't important, just that one should be able to read whatever is said (of course this doesn't even apply with typing like "hay gaiz wutz gong on in thi stopicks?"). Online, where no one can see you, spelling is one of the few things that people can judge you on. If you spell as bad as in that example, people will most likely look down on you somewhat. People who try to come across clearly and intelligibly are by nature going to be more respected from the beginning.

I try to spell as good as I can, but I make typos. Spelling, at least while reading it, is not that important to me...and usually when I chat to people on instant messengers, they make typos similar to those mispelled above. They have the first and last letter in the right place, then accidentally mistype the rest. I wondered why I always read over those kinds of typos, until I saw that.

dang that looks very weird at first..looks llike its in another language.. had to take a look twice untill i figured it out :angry: lol but it loks cool though. i wonder what wuld happen if you wrote an essay in school like that? lol

I think that EPXLINS it all.. :P

Lol OpaQue, I can give you a cost-effective tip for free : whenever ready to date a girl by mail, just give yourself a moment to take a hard look at the way she spells her words. If you don't, I'd bet she will do that for you on her side, anyway, if she has got an ounce of brains.

Usually, it's kinda sobering. Plus you can avoid a lot of problems and misunderstandings looming ahead. Weirdos tend to write weird these days.

Cheers, all :lol:

When you get into business or IT terms (I'm sure in many other area's as well) that doesn't help as many of words can be re-arranged to have more than one meaning and still be grammatical in a sentence. Not to mention the time it may take to unscramble a large document with a continuous stream of even larger words :(. Also, if the text is in a language that is not native to your own, then you'll come into many problems as well (unless your fluent of course).When your chatting with a friend, who really cares if you or them make a mistake. If your working however... you can imagine the problems :(

wahahaha that is could i tired reading the letters but once i started reading the words it was went by quicker that is freakn sweet.

It?s funny and interesting but I had already seen it. Our brain works curiously.For me spellings are important, at least when I?m chatting with a friend that has the same native language as me (spanish). I mean, it?s a great eyeache when you see something badly written, because if you don?t know your own language then... well, you?re dumb... It?s like "what the hell did you do in school?" :( "Don?t you read?"One thing I?m a bit intrigued is about the fact that it seems that americans (or all english-speakers, don?t know) find it difficult to spell. At least that?s what I guess after seeing all those spelling competitions in schools. Maybe english is more difficult to spell? We never do that...

I got this in my mail a couple of years ago, I think. Immediately uninstalled my spell checker. Removed all traces of ispell and aspell. Call me an overenthusiastic kid... As an aside, it's amusing to note how many spelling errors I make without these nifty little programs. So, I'm notorious when it comes to spellings.This was followed by my getting caught up in numerous embarassing situations, in varying levels of intensity, none of which I'll go into. Just got back to using my good old aspell on emacs before sending mails. :angry:

The one pelborm wtih taht sduty is taht it flias to tkae itno anuocct the ctelpmoe rasrevel of all cretcarahs beewten the fsrit and the lsat. Mekas it hedrar to raed, d'nseot it? Ah wlel, the garenel cpecnot slitl wkros.As far as (mis)spelling english, it's much less phonetic than most other languages due to the fact that it's an amalgamation of german and french (with a bit borrowed from other languages). To complicate it even more, local dialects can drastically change pronunciation. If anyone's interested in a completely phonetic way of spelling, there's an interesting system called the IPA (International Phonetic Alphabet) which maps each speech sound to an individual character. It's interesting to see how you're actually pronouncing words, which is often radically different from your preconceptions, which are based on the words written form.

Hi Opaque, that's right I could read all the word without having much problem. It only reminds me the default news or FAQ item at Mambo Open source website.When a new mambo cms is being installed example news, FAQ items, newsflash and Copyright license description are there by default and one of the items is about this order of arranging the letters. What is important is the beginning letter and the ending letter, the rest can be arranged anywhere but will still make sense since when a person reads a word it says they only look at the first and last alphabets.

heh...so crazy,i am hard and tired to read them through identifying the successive letter Lol: but seeing a word as a whole is really a good way to read them clearly.however,i think i'd like to spell word as right as i can,i am new in using English after all :angry: