xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
gentoo

Test Your Browser's Popup Blocker. Will your browser block all of this?

I am not sure whether I should share it here or in networking board.But it is
a really interesting site that I have visted.

27 tests was was made t test your browser's adblock plugins.Firefox (default install in gentoo linux)failed to block the popup window of test 12 13 21.Which test does your browser fail to pass? Here is the url:

http://www.kephyr.com/popupkillertest/test/index.html

I use Firefox on My AMD-64 Gentoo Box.Failed Test 12.Konqueror failed 12,13 and 21.Why did your Firefox fail those extra 2 than mine ???Did you use a pre-compiled binary or compile yourself ?i compiled myself as native 64bit.

I use Firefox on My Intel® Pentimum 4 2.6GHz Gentoo Box build from stage1.

I have never use GRP package.I just emerge firefox and I haven't install any

plugins relation to block.

I also wonder that my Firefox is weak than yours. :)

Is there some difference between 32bits and 64bits CPU in parameter passed to configure by firefox's ebuild?

Or

CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS in my /etc/make.conf:

emerge --info |grep FLAGCFLAGS="-O2 -mcpu=pentium4 -march=pentium4 -fomit-frame-pointer"CXXFLAGS="-O2 -mcpu=pentium4 -march=pentium4 -fomit-frame-pointer"Unset:  LDFLAGS

Install information about Mozilla-Firefox:

emerge -pv mozilla-firefoxThese are the packages that I would merge, in order:Calculating dependencies ...done![ebuild   R   ] net-www/mozilla-firefox-1.0-r3  -debug -gnome -java -ldap -mozdevelop -moznoxft -mozsvg -mozxmlterm* -xinerama -xprint* 0 kB Total size of downloads: 0 kB

The real parameter passed to Mozilla-Firefox in my gentoo box:

etcat -u mozilla-firefox[ Colour Code : set unset ][ Legend   : (U) Col 1 - Current USE flags        ][          : (I) Col 2 - Installed With USE flags ] U I [ Found these USE variables in : net-www/mozilla-firefox-1.0-r3 ] - - java       : Adds support for Java - - mozsvg     : Enable SVG support in mozilla and firefox - - debug      : Tells configure and the makefiles to build for debugging. Effects vary across packages, but generally it will at least add -g to CFLAGS. Remember to set FEATURES=nostrip too - - java       : Adds support for Java - - gnome      : Adds GNOME support - - ldap       : Adds LDAP support (Lightweight Directory Access Protocol) - - debug      : Tells configure and the makefiles to build for debugging. Effects vary across packages, but generally it will at least add -g to CFLAGS. Remember to set FEATURES=nostrip too - - xinerama   : Add support for the xinerama X11 extension, which allows you to stretch your display across multiple monitors - + xprint     : Support for xprint, http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ - - moznoxft   : Disable XFT support in mozilla (also firefox, thunderbird) - - mozdevelop : Enable features for web developers (e.g. Venkman) - + mozxmlterm : Enable mozilla's XML-based command-line terminal

The odd popup won't bother me really, Firefox's is sufficiant. The thing that worries me is that maybe this website was set up by evil advertising companies that want to find out how they can deliver adverts to you ahead of the popup blockers can block them out.

does the firewall not block the adds, because there is that feature on mine which says it stops popups as well? I guess the firewall stops the firast lot then the webbrowser has the second round stoppage?chris

hi,

i use Internet Explorer 6.0+ version browser.

is any plugin to block all the 27 popups ?

the plugin i am using hardly blocked 16 popups....;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Unfortunately there are no usefull plugins at all for IE. Instead I suggest you download a completely new browser, I personally prefer Opera but the most popular at the moment is Firefox,

You can download Opera here - http://www.opera.com/computer/windows or you can download Firefox here - https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/. Both of them are free and while Opera comes with a popup blocker you can quite easily get one for Firefox.

I use opera and I didn't pass test 12... Do you only use opera's pop up killer? Special preferences or something?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I used Opera and it passed all the tests, I don't know why yours didnt. It may have something to do with what you set it to block, mine is set to block all popups.