xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
pixelsmack

Virtual Machines

Does anyone have any advice regarding using virtual machines, i know of VMware however have never used it and i know there is a M$ one which i have never used either (i don't even know what that is called). Can someone please reccomend one for use in windows XP to install windows server 2003 on please.

Does anyone have any advice regarding using virtual machines, i know of VMware however have never used it and i know there is a M$ one which i have never used either (i don't even know what that is called). Can someone please reccomend one for use in windows XP to install windows server 2003 on please.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you need Vmware for windows.

But wouldnt you be far better of Dual Booting ?

cheaper, and better performace than VirtualPC.

you need Vmware for windows.

But wouldnt you be far better of Dual Booting ?

cheaper, and better performace than VirtualPC.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

if you r going to stick to the installed OS, then Dual Booting is fine.

But if you are going to try many OS, then i'll suggest that you use Vmware.

why?

1. has networking support to the host pc and its LAN (if avaliable)

2. the installed OS can be transfered anywhere!. transferring OS is just the same as copying ordinary files!.

3. no need for re-partitioning!

but, you must also know that using a simulator like Vmware will cause performance drop to the OS.

2. the installed OS can be transfered anywhere!. transferring OS is just the same as copying ordinary files!.

bad idea.
might work for windows, but will cause havok with proper OS's if not done correctly.
make sure you coont do somthing stupid like copy virtual folders.

make sure you preserve permissions.

make sure to reset driver configureation, or remove all driver configuration and enable coldplug.

bad idea.

might work for windows, but will cause havok with proper OS's if not done correctly.

make sure to reset driver configureation, or remove all driver configuration and enable coldplug.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i dont understand. please give more details for these lines...

what im saying is... By Default, the copy command does not preserve permissions, and special setting like SUID. same with Tar.Also, if you backup folders like /dev/ or /proc or /sys/ you might get some very strange results !Also, driver settings.it just maks it abad idea to install an OS on virtualPC, and move ot onto a real root raprtiton and epect it to works.

what im saying is... By Default, the copy command does not preserve permissions, and special setting like SUID. same with Tar.

Also, if you backup folders like /dev/ or /proc or /sys/ you might get some very strange results !

Also, driver settings.

it just maks it  abad idea to install an OS on virtualPC, and move ot onto a real root raprtiton and epect it to works.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL! :)

Clearly, you never used VMWARE before.

althought, your posts contains new things for me and i apprichiate that... thank you, you are so informative and experienced.

but you nvr tried Vmware.

for more info about vmware, goto:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

i believe, it supports winNT family and linux.

anyway, what i mean is that the installed OS can be copied to other machine and re-implement it at other host as another virtual machine, not to a new partition. sometimes, it is useful, for example, you want to backup the OS incase the OS you are using now might get ruin, or your friend also wanted the same OS into his Vmware without having to go through the OS installation process.

ps: i m sory, my english is not very good, i hope you can understand me :P

I've said it in other posts but hereit goes again, you might also consider using Microsoft's Virtual PC https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/products/windows From a high level the performance is about the same as VMware but VMWare still beats it in several areas.

I will also agree that dual booting is also the best approach in most cases but in a few, virtual machines are just what the doctor ordered. My particular case involves penetration network testing. There is nothing like firing up Fedoda Core in windows and running both platforms at the same time. If I need to launch a windows tool, just start it. If I need to run a Nessus scan while that is going on, just start it in the virtual machine. Virtual machines save alot of time this way, you don't have to constantly reboot just to run a minor tool that is not ported for windows.

bad idea.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL... Proper OS's... Do you think that if the OS's that you're referring to as "Proper" has problems with that, then just maybe they not really "Proper" at all?? :(

I think dual booting is the way to go. I mean it's much faster and better than VMWare. I don't know, I just had bad experiences using VMWare. If you have a fast computer and a lot of hardrive space and ram then I guess you can do VMWare. I guess it wasn't fast enough for my needs.