xisto Community
arunkumarhg

Which Is The Cool Desktop? KDE Or Gnome?

KDE Or Gnome?  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

GNOME is beautyful, cool desktop having good look and feel. It is very easy to create shotcuts and place it over the destop. GNOME crashes when compare to KDE. KDE give lot of support like free icons , MIME types, themes, screen savers, in open source format under GNU,GPL.But when you go for GNOME even though it offers all the options of KDE, but lacks the Quantity and Quality when compared to Gnome. And one of the main thing is KDE has Lot of developers working for it than Gnome.

i'm a KDE man myself, i love the blue you see. no other reason than that really i do tend to find them much of a muchness, however since i usually use windows systems then i guess i probably don't know all the ins and outs of each one. as long as i can find the konsole and a graphical web-browser i don't really care haha.

Gnome rocks....

KDE is Great.... but its bloated, its getting like windows.

a single application (Konqueror) to do everything... FTP, web browsing, file browsing, PDF viewing, CD ripping.. what else....

however it IS easy to use.

But Gnome... i love it,

more thought out interface.

GTK themes ive found at gnome-look.org are much better than the qt themes at kde-look.org

and, GNOME gives off that feeling of being clean and polished desktop.

The Gnome Themes are great, nothing distracting, everything on the desktop is perfectly distinguishable from everything else, but nothing grabs your attention away from what you need to be focusing on.

I HATE what Fedora / redhat do to GNOME though.

they patched it or added themes of somthing that make it look exactly like KDE, whats the deal ???

KDE for the Newb's GNOME for the Experianced hacker :) / Guru / whatever.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

KDE for the Newb's GNOME for the Experianced hacker tongue.gif / Guru / whatever.

Yeah i think i agree with this comment, maybe thats why i prefer KDE, since i don't use *nix all the time i prefer the easier options. i also agree that it is very bloated, this is the main reason i don't use linux all the time, not just the GUI is bloated there are so many crappy apps that i really don't want on default installs of the major Distros.

I like KDE, its a pleasure to work with but i will say it can be limited, and a tad windowsish. But overall i recomend it and im using it along with SuSE and it looks nice and sleek although ive not been using it alot recently i will though but im still using windows for me useage.

I voted for both, as both now are good. I also started with gnome long time ago, but later moved to KDE, which I preferred for kApps ;D and it seemed to be more customizable and more like Amiga OS environment, but later it started to look much more like windows.On my current Linux installations, I also have and am using KDE :) but as it's now not my main OS, it's not a big difference.

I used to prefer Gnome because it was less kiddy looking than KDE. I liked the professional looks of it, tough lately I've switched to KDE and I just can't imaging anymore why I liked Gnome. KDE looks just way better and more up to date than Gnome, which is a bit old-fashioned imho. Now, of course, this is only based on looks. Functionallity wise, both desktop environments are okay, no real reason why not to choose one.Speed wise I guess Gnome is a bit better because it lacks the 'unneeded' extra fancy stuff (tough it just can't win from XCFE or Blackbox, which are bloody ugly but extremely lightweight).