xisto Community
kc8yff

What Kind Of Processor Should I Get?

i'm running a sempron 2400XP at the moment and its a very good chip. however if you are after a high budget chip i would go for one of the new P4's they are very very fast. my house mate is running one and he dropped his 64bit AMD (not literally) when he tried the new p4's, so y the sounds they are the best high-end chip although i think the sempron is a very good processor for the price.

I personally prefer AMD. I bought my AMD Athlon64 3000+ mid last year and I love it. It wasn't too expensive back then, so I'd imagine you could get something a lot better for a decent price now. It's up to you though, and I guess it may depend on what you're going to use your computer for. I recently started a poll asking the question "AMD or Intel?"... it has quite a few replies with peoples opinions on the 2 CPU's, so for a better idea of what these people would suggest, have a loot at that thread. It's called "AMD or P4?".

buy my system!! its the best you can get!!buy a athloXP 2500+ with barton-core! buy a ABIT NF7 !! these too are sooooo great together! you can by a good cooler for the CPU and then you can easily overclock up to 3000+! :) and if you have a really really good cooling system you can overclock till 6,6 GHz !!have fun!!

and if you have a really really good cooling system you can overclock till 6,6 GHz !!

i've heard that before. it will void your processors warranty.

i've heard about 64bits processors. is it better? in what ways?

The only good thing about getting a 64-bit processor now, is that you'll have the hardware needed to run Microsoft's next OS, although, I don't plan on ever running it. Currently, Microsoft OS'es don't really utilize 64-bit technology too well. you can run the 32-bit software with the 64-bit processors AMD currently offers, but the 32-bit emulation is going to slow things down...But honestly, if you want a GOOD processor...Don't settle for anything CISC-based (like Intel Pentium, AMD Athlon, etc...). CISC processors technically, were rendered obsolete in the mid-90's. I think it's time for the x86 to die, after being pushed for over 20 years, don't you? Stop beating the dead horse.

If you want high-end:
What you want is a RISC-based processor, and I would have to recommend three kinds of processors for this. SPARC, ALPHA, and PowerPC. The UltraSPARC, ALPHA, and PowerPC 970 Series (G5) are all 64-bit processors, and actually have OS'es and programs that put this technology to good use (unlike Microsoft). Also, the PowerPC 970 does a great job with handling legacy PowerPC programs. The PowerPC has always had a 64-bit core, but the 970 gives you a 64-bit data bus. But even if you want to choose the 32-bit path, PowerPC 7400 (G4) isn't a bad choice either. And if you don't like Macintoshes, remember, there are other PowerPC computers available than the Macintosh...you can even build your own in an ATX case.

I predict the switch from 32 to 64-bit technology is going to be VERY rocky for x86 users...and may very well kill Microsoft in the process. Other companies have already made the switch years ago, and Apple is in the process, but they're managing to do it quite smoothly...But Microsoft doesn't make the hardware that it's software runs on, now does it?

Here, read this...this will tell you everything you need to know about RISC, and RISC vs CISC..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RISC

don't forget not alot of programs are designed to fully use the AMD 64's, but it's not going to be much longer, so I'd say go AMD now. Its a great processor, and I have had 0 problems with it lagging and I do a lot of design work!

If price is of no concern. Alpha. There are versions of Windows for Alpha processors...these things, even at slower clock speeds, will beat the hell out of any offerings from Intel or AMD...Hell, they might even make a Version of Windows for MIPS processors...either way, if you can find a version of windows for either Alpha, SPARC, or MIPS processors, or even PowerPC, go with one of those processors... I can guarantee you, RISC is worth it...RISC is good...

I tend to avoid Pentium, they get way too hot, and they are trailing behind AMD in the 64bit market.64bit processors will run native 32bit operating systems,and 64bit operating systems can run 32bit software.. Operating systems like Linux can do this nativly, but with windows, you have to use emulation... which will slow things down a bit.if your planning on sticking with your new CPU for a good few years, 64bit is the future.. but 32but will be around for a while yet.im running an AMD 64 3400+ on 64but Gentoo Linux... and its amasing !!!my motherboard and cpu suppport somthing called amd powerNow.it alters the voltage and frequency of your cpu to match load...my system is running on low volatage 1Ghz... but if cpu useage rises above 90% it accellerates, all the way up to 2.4Ghz with hivgher voltage.so when you are just web broswing, your system stays super quiet, and super cool... then the fans and 2.4Ghz jump up when you launch doom3 :)

wow, the empty calorie. i was more thinking about desktop system. but thanks for the info anyway. i didnt know Alpha is avaliable for Win.

I tend to avoid Pentium, they get way too hot, and they are trailing behind AMD in the 64bit market.

i thought Pentium is good at controlling heat. am i wrong?

anyway, if i m using windows, then it is better to stay with 32bit?

wow, the empty calorie. i was more thinking about desktop system. but thanks for the info anyway. i didnt know Alpha is avaliable for Win.

i thought Pentium is good at controlling heat. am i wrong?

anyway, if i m using windows, then it is better to stay with 32bit?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, you wanna move to 64 bit. That is where everything is going. Buying 32bit is buying old tech. If you were buying a laptop, that would be fine. But don't get a 32 bit processor for a desktop.

i agree with going 64bit... however they wont drop 32bit overnight.im no expert, but im willing to bet that by the time they drop 32 bit support, your currently state of the art processor will be getting dated, ready for a update.since 32bit is being replaced, it will be quite cheap...so you could save money staying with 32bit... but for future upgradability and compatability.... 64bit is the way to go.and go for AMD...:)cooler, cheaper, AMDPowerNow-K8 rocks !, shorter pipelines, and fewer clocks per bogomip :P

i agree with going 64bit... however they wont drop 32bit overnight.

im no expert, but im willing to bet that by the time they drop 32 bit support, your currently state of the art processor will be getting dated, ready for a update.

since 32bit is being replaced, it will be quite cheap...

so you could save money staying with 32bit... but for future upgradability and compatability.... 64bit is the way to go.

and go for AMD...:)

cooler, cheaper, AMDPowerNow-K8 rocks !, shorter pipelines, and fewer clocks per bogomip :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Indeed, AMD is my current favorite for processors. I wish apple could hook up with them and get their help along with IBM and Motorola to build the PPC processors they use.