xisto Community
surf-missouri

Metroid Prime The Overlooked FPS

Everybody knows about the Halo games, Half Life, etc., and I'll admit, these are fun, no doubt, but it seems that Metroid Prime isn't getting the respect it deserves. The main reason for this is it's a girl playing it. I don't want to seem offensive, but honestly, most FPS players are guys. Samus is overlooked. But the truth is, Samus might even be more "manly" than Master Cheif. Why? Because Master Cheif is one leader who has a squadron behind his back, yet Samus combats her entire alien race alone. Metroid Prime and Echoes are both really great games, and if you haven't tried them, and have a Gamecube, I would recommend trying it.

I dont think the reason metroid prime is "overlooked" is because the main character is a girl, I think it is because the system (gamecube) seems to be kid-like game dominant. There are plenty of games with girls as the main charcter, and to many it may seem as plus to have a girl the main character. :)

Everybody knows about the Halo games, Half Life, etc., and I'll admit, these are fun, no doubt, but it seems that Metroid Prime isn't getting the respect it deserves. The main reason for this is it's a girl playing it. I don't want to seem offensive, but honestly, most FPS players are guys. Samus is overlooked. But the truth is, Samus might even be more "manly" than Master Cheif. Why? Because Master Cheif is one leader who has a squadron behind his back, yet Samus combats her entire alien race alone. Metroid Prime and Echoes are both really great games, and if you haven't tried them, and have a Gamecube, I would recommend trying it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Same thing here i go to my friend and play its so cool (echoes) i havent tried the first one is it good???? but maybe il get a gamecube and get both of those (if it doesnt come for playstation 2 or 3) "most FPS players are guys" thats so true =) :)

Yeah. The Gamecube really isn't a very popular system. Because it really does have a "kiddy game" kind of reputation. (Strangely that's why I got the Gamecube. Really, it's like a teddy bear complex, except with a nintendo.)I don't think the main character being a girl has a lot to do with the game not getting much respect. Maybe it has something to do with the atmosphere of the game. Yeah...

As far as I know. The cube doesn't support only play. And it does not have the joy that is xbox live's wonderfully easy multiplayer. Also, i think right along with online it doesn't have any lan capability other than 4 controllers. We just beat the single-player, and we only tried out the multi-player a little bit, and it was boring.I suppose there's the ds, but good luck getting one, and finding friends who have one.

Well, you would be right in that assumption. Metroid Prime, which was a big thriller for old-skool Metroid fans considering Nintendo hadn't made another game in years, was the all-time best FPS for the Gamecube, and probably Nintendo's whole line of games so far. As to whether or not MP2: Echoes will replace MP for that position, it's hard for me to say, considering I've only played the demo and haven't been able to dig up much more than a few strategies and other info from Nintendo and Retro Studios. Either way, I'd recommend it to any FPS fan; whether you like Gamecube or not. My only regret about the games is there's no manual 3rd person mode for those confusing or small spaces (with the exception of Morph Ball mode) which makes it very difficult to navigate, though that doesn't occur often, considering each area has its uniquities.

Metroid Prime is definitely under appreciated. Everything about is so huge and emmersive. I swear I was little a little sad once I finally finished echoes... back the real world which is unfortunately lacking in monsters and laser beams. It's one of those rare games that should be savored.The art director, Andrew Jones, is one of the admins over at Conceptart.org, and the guy's tallent it awe-inspiring. The look and atmosphere is one of the main things I appreciated about metroid too. Anyway, that's who you can thank for that.

I agree with everyone else. Why go for the gamecube...expecially this late in the "console" battle (assuming ps3 and xbox next comes out soon). Just wait and just as vice city crossed to xbox after the legal issues ran out or w/e. Surely, if metroid prime is worth while, then it will cross? I don't know however because I haven't played it personally, but I have seen some reviews and the game does look great. It was kinda cool having a "butt-kicking" female fps. ;)

Ok, let me show you the reason why console wars are overrated: anyone ever heard of "emulators?" If you ask me, it's one of the best inventions on the internet. They have an emulator for just about every single console on the market, along with ROM's and compatible CD Drivers that will read the disc's out of your CD-Rom, especially considering that the consoles now are computer entertainment systems. Thus, the better investment is in a computer with a nice, big HDD, more than 1 GB of RAM, a nice video card, and a CD Drive. Sound good? ;)

What would make you not like it after playing it once? And, if you didn't like the first one, you probably shouldn't waste your money on the second one.

Yeah but Metroid was always a single player exploration based game. Prime 2 has multiplayer but it's nothing we haven't already seen before and I personally think it's a waste of disc-space. I think a lot of FPS fans have misconceptions about the metroid games because they're expecting Halflife or Halo when Matroid Prime is really just a 3-D version of your classic Metroid games.