xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
whafizi

Url Problems some questions about URL

I'm no expert on this but I'll try to explain it the way I understand it :)

When you supply a URL with an explicit filename, the page shows up with minmal extra work for the server.

The URL with trailing slash makes the server work a little extra. It recognizes the last part of the URL as a directory because it has a slash after it. However, there is no filename stated. So the server looks for the default filenames:

index.htm

index.html

default.htm

default.html

You can change this default setting on the server to another filename (don't ask me how) :)

When a server first sees a URL without an explicit filename or trailing slash, it first checks to see if it is a filename. So, in this case, the server checks the root directory on http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ to see if there is a filename called forum. If it finds that file, then it will be displayed. However, if it does not find a file by that name, it will assume it is a subdirectory. It will try to find the forum subdirectory and then the default filename within the directory.

I had this saved on my computer, I can't find the URL from where I got this info. I think it was a universty in Australia or a Library service in US.... If anyone know the site let me know so I can give proper credit.

Nils

Also, please ensure that you PUT a file called Index.html in each and every folder (even an empty file will do ). That will not expose your files. Your might be prone to the following risks :-1> Folder containing php files can be abused and you might get hacked.2> If it contains Images, there are more chances of Hotlinking and you will lose your BW.3> You expose secret files and even sub-directories.