xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
hast-webben

Greenhouse Effect Is this the so called final countdown?

We have been told this for now many years, but what is actually happen? Snowchaos in California, flooding in Central Europe and at least Green christmas in Northren Scandinavia. Don't any take this serious? Or isn't the right time to start to change our culture and the way how we're violate our mother nature? I know that this we're getting today is what we had saved in the atmosphere for the last 100 years, but if we continue this it would even be worse in the next generation. I know that I'm one of these who taking the car to destinations where I could had used my legs to walk, and I'm not proud of it either, but I like to know if there is other who think about how serious it actually looks like today, and then if there is someone who think about their lifestyle could have influrence on it.Not so much Cheers here more than worried thoughtsJens

I wouldn't be so fast to attribute odd weather to the greenhouse effect. Yes temperatures are rising, but fairly slowly. I think it is supposed to increase precipitation levels due to a higher average of vapor in the atmosphere, however. I actually believe the more immediate problem to be ozone depletion. That hole over antarctica scares me, I mean have you seen the pictures of it? Nature is so unpredictable already that as far as humans are concerned the weather is practically a probability equation. It recently snowed in New Orleans, LA, USA and it has been about 16 years since it happened, so if it happened then, i don't think that it snowing this year would be solely due to the greenhouse effect. But yes you are right, the global weather has been strange this year.

Yes I've seen that mega hole over anactica and it scares me too. I also know that it isn't just the greenhouse effect that reason the change of the global weather condition, but I don't think that we should ignore the posibility of reason, as these changes had been happen faster than they did counted. And by the way does chaos rules in the mother nature.

I wouldn't be so fast to attribute odd weather to the greenhouse effect.  Yes temperatures are rising, but fairly slowly.  I think it is supposed to increase precipitation levels due to a higher average of vapor in the atmosphere, however.  I actually believe the more immediate problem to be ozone depletion.  That hole over antarctica scares me, I mean have you seen the pictures of it?  Nature is so unpredictable already that as far as humans are concerned the weather is practically a probability equation.  It recently snowed in New Orleans, LA, USA and it has been about 16 years since it happened, so if it happened then, i don't think that it snowing this year would be solely due to the greenhouse effect.  But yes you are right, the global weather has been strange this year.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

First get this misconception out of the way:

The greenhouse effect is an effect that is caused by earth itself.

The atmosphere prevent heat from getting into space easily, just like a greenhouse prevents heatness to rise up to the sky.

What you mean is the enforced greenhouse effect.

Because factories, cars, etc. blast billions of soot particles skywards everyday, the atmosphere gets fuller and denser. This means that the warmth of the earth is easier to retain.

On the other hand, this doesn't seem to take immeadiate dramatic proportions. Ok, over the last century the temperature has risen 2-3 degrees (which may not seem a lot, but believe me, it has its impact).

As for the gap above antarctica and Australia, scientists have reported that the gap has stopped growing and even seems to be wanting to shrink again.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with "Green House effect" , instead, we need green house effect to keep our earth warm. The problem here is the "Increasing Green house effect", and not green house effect. With the increase of green house gases like, carbon dioxide, methane, nitrogen and CFCs, more heat is trapped and our temperature and sea level is rising. Soon, tropical trees will grow in temperate regions and temperate trees will grow in polar regions.. scary huh :) ..

Anyone happen to read Michael Crichton's Jurassic Park? Ever read about Ian Malcom's ideas?

Anyway, Malcolm is always preaching about mankind's insignificant effect on the Earth. He talks about the origins of the Earth, and the incredible stability of Mother Nature, and his arguments make sense.

Consider this: when the Earth was just forming, the atmosphere was completely inhospitable to life. It was excessively acidic, lacking oxygen, and didn't contain very much water. And considering that ozone is composed of oxygen, I don't think Earth had much of an ozone layer to speak of then. Obviously, at some point, Earth reached a fairly stable state that was able to support life.

In the field of chemistry, there is a concept known as Le Chatelier's Principle. It states that if you apply a change to a certain system that is at equilibrium, the chemicals within the system will react to counteract that change.

Anyway, long story short, Earth will probably change in order to counteract any effects imposed by man, such as the increase of the greenhouse effect and the destruction of the ozone. Earth is a highly stable mass; mankind will hardly leave a dent on it.

So, essentially, man is danger of destroying himself, not the Earth.

We normally only hear one side of the story about the global warming effect, but to be honest, the oceans should absorb any excess CO2, since that's what happened zillions of years ago. So why should they stop doing this? Maybe the current increases in temperature are just anomalies and we are all overreacting to something that could just be a natural cycle and being absorbed by the oceans.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with "Green House effect" , instead, we need green house effect to keep our earth warm. The problem here is the "Increasing Green house effect", and not green house effect. With the increase of green house gases like, carbon dioxide, methane, nitrogen and CFCs, more heat is trapped and our temperature and sea level is rising. Soon, tropical trees will grow in temperate regions and temperate trees will grow in polar regions.. scary huh  ;) ..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi again,

I do understand what you mean :-) Even that I'm an pure viking, do I really hate when the tempeture is lower than -20 degree celcius and defintly -40 as normal here in this area. But when the perma ice is melting can't I really find the party anymore, but the concequense of that wouldn't I either see in my lifetime, and either in my childrens lifetime. But an winter without any snow or ice isn't an right winter for me anyway. It would be alike an summer without sun.

Cheers

Jens

What happens in England? yippee we get warmer? uhh no if enough cold, fresh water coming from the melting polar ice caps and the melting glaciers of Greenland flows into the northern Atlantic, it will shut down the Gulf Stream, which keeps Europe and northeastern North America warm. The worst-case scenario would be a full-blown return of the last ice age - in a period as short as 2 to 3 years from its onset - and the mid-case scenario would be a period like the "little ice age" of a few centuries ago that disrupted worldwide weather patterns leading to extremely harsh winters, droughts, worldwide desertification, crop failures, and wars around the world.that was from a news article, but summs up wots going down!chris