xisto Community
JimBeam1405241475

AMD Or P4 ?

Which CPU do you prefer?  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Okay... im not a hrdware *expert* but i know a little about electronics, i know how to read benchmarks..

Not sure about price, but for benchmarks.. My AMD64 3400+ (actual clock speed it 2.4Ghz)

wipes the floor with an Intel Pentium4 Running at over 3Ghz. even though the pentium has more L2 cache.

So, here is how i see it... The AMD does more work per CPU cycle than Intel.

Intel runs at a higher clock rate.

This SEEMS to even performace out... but consider the following.....

Higher Frequency Requires more Power....

Higher frequency increaces Electro magnetic induction into adjacent tracks... so again, you  need even more voltage to keep the CPU stable.

which in turn SURELY means a hotter CPU, and the need for better cooling.

What would you rather have, a nice cool Calculator CPU running at 11Mhz.

or a large collection og logic gates running at 12 terrahertz ???

CPU clock speed is not everything.

it seems Intel spends too much money advertiseing, and not enough on impocing their CPU.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That says it all. Thank you so much for replying to this thread with such a great point of view. You don't need much more proof than that... that a 2.4Ghz CPU can out do a 3+Ghz CPU from another company. It's for this reason alone that I bought myself the Athlon64 3000+. And I've never had any of these problems like loud noises and stuff like other people have mentioned. It's done a great job for my purposes so far... and I have no plans to ever switch over to Intel.

I'm happy to see the poll has turned back around and AMD now has more votes.

I've personally used Intel cpus so far in mostly OEM built computers. I currently have a P4, but for my next computer I think I might want to try AMD. I think AMD is more used by gamers and overclockers. The AMD processors do more work per clock cycle, which is neat, but they also tend to run hotter than the P4s and require more cooling. Its also pretty good that AMD has tried out 64 bit processors.

well i dont know too much about this stuff but i would prefer amd over a pentium 4 because i have heard that a amd can overclock and and pentium 4 cant really handle the pressure off being overclocked

Well, for me, I would go with AMD just for the AMD-64 stuff. That is really where things are going, and getting a P4 now will get you something that will go out of date rather soon. Even intel knows this, so they are adopting AMD's 64 bit extension to x86 code in their next chip.

Amd all the way.what i wanna know, why do DELL refuse to sell computers with AMD cpu's ?i saw Dell's advert about ebing able to customise a P online then order it so i went on the website... its so lame...you Can have any CPU aslong as its a Pentium4.

If you ask me, I'll ask for a budget, cost effective AMD 64-bit chip with maybe a MSI 915X Neo 2 Plantium with 1GB RAM, a DVD burner, 9-in-1 media card reader, my old hp pavilion f1523 LCD screen, Windows XP Pro, etc.But in Singapore, AMD chips are uncommon.Out of 10 PCs here, 9 is bundled with Intel.

Yes the AMD's definitely do more work per cycle due to the shorter pipeline: there is less time lost for guessing the next op wrong (which processors DO actually perform fairly frequently). The AMD does not run any hotter I do not believe. But as for P4s being unstable overclockers, The Fastest PCs in the world are P4s (overclocked, of course). I think I remember seeing somewhere that a P4 came very close to breaking 5GHz (phase cooled). Obviously you do have to have more than the run-of-the-mill hardware to do it successfully, though. AMD holds the performance crown fairly solidly right now.

Definately AMD. :)

I have an Athlon 64 on my PC, and I love it. One of the things I like is a pipeline half the length fo the P4's, so if it mispredicts what it'll do next, it doesn't take so long for it to flush out the data and start over. :P

Amd all the way.

what  i wanna know, why do DELL refuse to sell computers with AMD cpu's ?

i saw Dell's advert about ebing able to customise a P online then order it so i went on the website... its so lame...

you Can have any CPU aslong as its a Pentium4.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I saw a news story a while back saying that they were going to begin selling amd CPUs as well, but I guess they haven't started yet.

years ago i had an pentium III..... i wasnt very happy with it! after that i bought another pc with an AMD 1400. i was really happy with it but the cooling was difficult.. sometimes it runs over 100°C :) but after all i was happy with AMD and now my pc has again AMD, 2500+ :) with this CPU im really happy! buy AMD :P

before, AMD was cheaper than P4, but now, with AMD ATHLON 64, it isn't the same ! Now, a good P4, is about 100$, and a good AMD, is about 130$ ! And P4 is better than AMD with it "memory cache", BUS, frequency, and band-with.But AMD is better for 3D games. Choice your CPU for how you have to made with your computer !

Pentiums FSB is twice as higher frequency as AMD.. however AMD's pipe is half the length...

im no expert... but it seems to me that all that means is similar performance, but extra power consumtion and therefore heat for the pentium.

And P4 is better than AMD with it "memory cache", BUS, frequency, and band-with.But AMD is better for 3D games.

in other words... Pentium is good for Big numbers... like 800mzh FSB
but if meaningless numbers dont interest you, but performance does.. AMD ;)

amd is better... i want more power baby!