xisto Community
danagym

Why A Site Is Viewed Differently In Browsers

hi guys!I have a real big problem...I have made my site, and in explorer it is viewd perfectly!When I loaded it on Mozilla Firefox, the first page looks like in explorer, but others are so ugly! a cell from the table is moving much more to the right!!!what can I do? Why is so?does it help visitors, if I write: best view: internet explorer ?thanks!

The reason for this, as it seems to me I could be wrong, you are useing a peice of code that is not supported properly by other browsers then explorer. I am sure there is on that you can find one to do the same thing but is supported by all of them.

After you write it then preview your website in Firefox, Mozilla or another compliant browser then use Internet Exploder hacks to show the same view in Explorer.

I try to make my pages look good in Mozilla and Firefox that way you can use the workarounds and make the page look similar in the non compliant browsers.

This code is from a css stylesheet to fix the menu for OE.

/* Fix IE. Hide from IE Mac \*/* html #menu ul li{float:left;height:1%;}* html #menu ul li a{height:1%;}/* End */

Compliant browsers skip the comment and OE executes the lines and look pretty :)

hi guys!

I have a real big problem...

I have made my site, and in explorer it is viewd perfectly!

When I loaded it on Mozilla Firefox, the first page looks like in explorer, but others are so ugly! a cell from the table is moving much more to the right!!!

what can I do? Why is so?

does it help visitors, if I write: best view: internet explorer ?

thanks!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is best to view each page in the various browsers as you build them. Most designers, myself included do not understand the differences in browsers and how they read and view scripts.

You do not have to be a browser expert to build cross browser friendly sites. As you build each page. This way you will be able to circumvent any problems in browser differences before the entire site is completed and thus preventing considerable re-scripting time to make the site compatiable in all, or at least the primary browsers.

I don't think a"This Site is Best Viewed in XYZ Browser" is a good idea as it shows the world you are still in the browser learning curve. If you are building sites for others, you could loose business as a result.

Post the link so we can view it and possibly lend a hand.

pete :)

i don't see what's the problem. It seems to work well enough in my firefox...unless i'm looking at it wrong lol ^_^

Nice web design. I'm on a Mac using the Safari browser and the page looks fine on first load. However when I click through, say, one of the packages, the images start misaligning. I think because the right side image is dependent on the text in the middle... So when the middle text changed, it changed size, thus sucking in or pushing out the image on the right that was supposed to line up seamlessly with the header. Have you looked into iFrames? I just discovered these the other day and haven't gotten a chance to use them but they SOUND amazing. Lots of possibility and hopefully can help avoid problems like you're having. The frames are self-contained and can be placed INSIDE the window... so you could create your "container" image like you have, and put an iFrame inside with all your body text, etc... links can be placed on the "container" image and and target the iFrame... I think that's basically how you have your site set up now. So check it out! :)

ok basically there is no sure fire way for which you can get your site looking the same in all browsers. You have to be very careful of your coding and i suggest you just basically test it in browsers (ie, firefox, mozilla...) before you upload. It may not be a case of having the perfect coding, it is sometimes a mixture of that AND LUCK. When i decided to make a test site using firefox i just tested the layout in each and i kept changing the code until it was fine.Also if you use Dreamweaver or other wysiwyg editors this again isn't going to solve the problem if you think the code which is generated is perfect (it isn't).good luck.

I see this at the bottom of your page:

In OE the "Search Gimp" is centered

In Mozilla and Firefox it's aligned left.

Original code:

<p align="center"> 
<form method="get" target="_blank" action="http://http://www.gimpsy.com/dir/?natural=1&rand=3725&PHPSESSID=dfad7e2aad003935def687cc075aa967; name="gimpsy_search"><font name="verdana">
 <font face="Verdana" size="1">I want to</font><font size="1">..</font>. <input type="text" name="phrase" size="15"> <input type="submit" name="submit" size="15" value="Find at Gimpsy"></form>

</p>

If you add <div align="center"> before and </center> after the table should be aligned in OE and mozilla.

New Code:

<div align="center">

<p align="center"> 
<form method="get" target="_blank" action="http://http://www.gimpsy.com/dir/?natural=1&rand=3725&PHPSESSID=dfad7e2aad003935def687cc075aa967; name="gimpsy_search"><font name="verdana">
 <font face="Verdana" size="1">I want to</font><font size="1">..</font>. <input type="text" name="phrase" size="15"> <input type="submit" name="submit" size="15" value="Find at Gimpsy"></form>

</p>

</center>

Nils

ok basically there is no sure fire way for which you can get your site looking the same in all browsers. You have to be very careful of your coding and i suggest you just basically test it in browsers (ie, firefox, mozilla...) before you upload. It may not be a case of having the perfect coding, it is sometimes a mixture of that AND LUCK. When i decided to make a test site using firefox i just tested the layout in each and i kept changing the code until it was fine.

Also if you use Dreamweaver or other wysiwyg editors this again isn't going to solve the problem if you think the code which is generated is perfect (it isn't).

good luck.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you use dreamweaver, it adds some code to help make things look the same in different browsers. Even if some of the other code it generates isn't always perfect, these snippits are. Basically, it adds some stuff to make IE handle stuff correctly, and then a second hack to let the other browsers do so as well. In any case things like Dreamweaver just make life faster. I like DW MX 2004 because it has lots of nice code snippits.

yes, websites sometimes seems to be different in various browsers. why? because browsers/softwares adversaries such as Microsoft and Netscape are trying to prove that they are the best in different ways.it is advisable to test your webpage in different browsers. but it you DO have time, you have two options;1. Build your site using Macromedia Dreamweaver. MD are good at detecting "probable errors" if your web page is opened at different browsers. therefore, you can choose a safe implementation that works well in major browsers.2. Secondly, you have to build more than one design. Say the first is suitable for IE, then second is suitable for Netscape. For the welcome page(index/default), create a JavaScript that detect users browser and redirect users to an appropiate design that will match their browser type. i think, many big companies uses this method.but, if you dont have enough time, you can select one browser that you think most of your client will use. then, design your website according to the browsers implementation.*EDITED

I smelll... photoshop slicing - cleaned a little with a wysiwyg editor, right?

why is the page not coming out correctly? tables. there's a good chance your tables are incorrectly sized. You should also take noe that it isn't perfect on IE either. Noe the sidebar likes to move, the space between the header and body changes. I could stop and find out where that problem is, but that's a code to clean out.

My one reccomendation. Not sure how good your html skills are, but I would take a gander at http://www.csszengarden.com/ for enlightenment on code technique. Or if you don't care to venture that far behind the scenes. Get something like Dreamweaver, and build a template, and put your content into it.

You got a good eye though, and good handle on graphics. Just need to step up your web skills.

IIf you have a table cell going ary, i don't know why you can't control it with another table? i don't know what i'm thinking excatly, but wouldn't that make everything relativly postitioned to each other, no matter the browser?